X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flippin15
    • Jun 2009

College game used items questions

Hello everybody,

I am starting to collect college GAME-Worn jerseys and I have a few questions about the NCAA rules pertaining to game-worn jerseys. It is to my knowledge that jersey's cannot be sold with the players' last name on the back (hence the reason Nike cannot produce basketball jerseys with last names on the back)... BUT what about game-worn jerseys? Can Universities resell these jerseys with the last name still on the back? If the player is still a junior (lets say he decides to stay for his Senior year), can the University resell his jersey before he graduates? I am curious to know this because I have been told that Universities CANNOT profit from their student-athletes....

However, I have found this jersey for auction: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...36401&ac=PHspt

It appears that Jeff Marshall is still in school, but the jersey has his last name on the back... whatsup with that?

Thanks in advance,

Cannot wait to hear your responses!

Mike
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: ** I'm a New Collector and I have some questions! **

To answer your first question technically no a University / college is not allowed to profit off there students - that is illegal.

To sell a Jersey is a bit different because it is not directly the athlete they are selling so I am sure there are some fine lines there, but they may be able to sell a Jersey if it is strictly for a non profit charity.

I am not too sure about the no names on the back thing. I never heard of that before, but then again I do not collect college items regularly.

I am a bit confused by the link you posted I am not sure what that has to do with anything???

Comment

• flippin15
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by suave1477
      To answer your first question technically no a University / college is not allowed to profit off there students - that is illegal.

To sell a Jersey is a bit different because it is not directly the athlete they are selling so I am sure there are some fine lines there, but they may be able to sell a Jersey if it is strictly for a non profit charity.

I am not too sure about the no names on the back thing. I never heard of that before, but then again I do not collect college items regularly.

I am a bit confused by the link you posted I am not sure what that has to do with anything???

The link shows an auction for a jersey for a player that played THIS year (he would still be considered "amateur" but they are selling the Jersey with his last name on the back...)

What I was trying to show was that they have the last name on the back, yet he is still going to school at the university.... i always thought it was illegal to sell jerseys with last name on back??

Comment

• flippin15
        • Jun 2009

I'm sorry the LINK to the auction should be: http://goblackbears.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm

Comment

• Neely8
          • Apr 2006

I can speak only for hockey jerseys. My understanding is that if the player is returning for another season, NCAA rules prohibit the school from selling his jersey with the name on back. If a player was a senior and the jersey was sold after the season was over then the name can be left on. In the past some schools have ignored this rule and still sold all jerseys with the names on back regardless of what year the player was in. Since I collect Michigan hockey jerseys that was one of the schools who ignored the rule only until recently. Apparently they received some pressure from the NCAA two years ago and the jerseys that they have auctioned since have had the names removed, providing the player was not a senior.

Comment

• flippin15
            • Jun 2009

Neely8,

Thanks for your reply... do you think Michigan was using the revenue from the sales to put back into the program, or was it donated to charities? (I wonder if that has anything to do with it?)

Comment

• Neely8
              • Apr 2006

I'm not sure what they do with the revenue they generate from the jersey auctions but they do send you a form telling you how much of what you spent on the jerseys is tax deductible since it is considered a gift to the school.

Comment

• flippin15
                • Jun 2009

Thanks again for your help Neely8

Anybody else with some information?

Thanks in advance,

Comment

• sportscentury
                  • Nov 2005

The universities own the uniforms and equipment. So yes, of course they can sell such items. Many universities sell their teams' player game worn jerseys. Collegejersey.com gets a ton of this stuff. Ron Fukushima gets a ton of this stuff from UCLA (and also of Arizona and USC in the past, I believe). Duke occasionally sells their jerseys in their University-owned Surplus Store (or at least they have in recent years). These are just a few examples ... too many to list. If there is a rule against such a practice, I don't know what it is. And if there is, many universities are flagrantly violating it.
                  Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• flippin15
                    • Jun 2009

sportscentury,

thanks for your response. do you have any info about the NCAA regulations pertaining to the players' last name on the back? I am interested in getting my hands of some game-worn jerseys of players still in college, but I DON'T want the nametag to be removed!

Comment

• russyurk
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by flippin15
                      sportscentury,

thanks for your response. do you have any info about the NCAA regulations pertaining to the players' last name on the back? I am interested in getting my hands of some game-worn jerseys of players still in college, but I DON'T want the nametag to be removed!
                      NCAA by-law 12.5.1.1 (h) Institutional, Charitable, Education or Nonprofit Promotions states in part that "....Items that include an individual student-athlete's name, picture or likeness (e.g., name on jersey, name or likeness on a bobble-head doll), other than informational items (e.g., media guide, schedule cards, institutional publications), may not be sold."

Student-Athletes with eligibility remaining should not have their jerseys sold with nameplates.
                      Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

Comment

• flippin15
                        • Jun 2009

Thanks, so it looks like I won't be able to purchase game-worn merchandise for players with eligibility... interesting

Comment

• sportscentury
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by flippin15
                          Thanks, so it looks like I won't be able to purchase game-worn merchandise for players with eligibility... interesting
                          Did you read my post? Universities let these shirts (of eligible players) go all the time. Contact CollegeJersey.com or Ron at California Sports Investments for starters.
                          Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• flippin15
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by sportscentury
                            Did you read my post? Universities let these shirts (of eligible players) go all the time. Contact CollegeJersey.com or Ron at California Sports Investments for starters.
                            Yes, I read your post... but according to the rules they're technically not suppose to. It seems like there are so many gray areas with these rules... it's crazy! do you have Ron's contact information?

Comment

• Tedw9
                              • Jul 2007

College game used items questions

A coworker of mine was asking me today about collecting game used items. He asked me if I knew where he could buy some Michigan Wolverines game used shorts, jersey or football helmet. He is a huge Michigan fan and would love to have one of those items.

I admitted I knew nothing about those but would ask the folks here if they knew where we could find those type of items.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if you can buy college game used. So any information you can send my way would be much appreciated.

Comment

Working...