Your experiences with players who validated (or didn't validate) your game used items

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danny899
    • Apr 2007

Re: Positive player reaction to seeing his GAMER

Originally posted by suave1477
    Legal Where in New York is he signing? I know he has done a few recently in New Jersey.
    He is doing a signing through Steiner on April 10th in NY. They didn't list the at show prices but I'm sure you could call them for more info.
    Dan

Comment

• JETEFAN
      • Dec 2005

Don Mattingly could not have been nicer when I shared part of my "Donnie" gamer collection with him. We talked for over 1/2 hour as he shared stories on each bat and uniform. He was truly humbled that I chose him as the focus for my collection. Great person, great time!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• sportscentury
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Danny899
        I had Rickey Henderson sign a Yankees jersey years back and asked if it were bloodstains on the front of the jersey from headfirst slides. He then proceeded to identify the stains as iced tea that he had spilled on it! I've had him sign some pretty rare items over the years and he always appeared to be pleased at seeing some of these pieces. Contrary to what many have heard, Rickey was always an absolute pleasure to interact with and gave you a top notch auto on your piece.
        I couldn't agree more. Rickey was always an absolute gem with me, too. I can't say the same about the person who used to market his stuff and run his signings, but Rickey himself was always terrific and happy to see and talk about his game used items. He is quite misunderstood by a lot of fans and collectors.
        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• karamaxjoe
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sportscentury
          I couldn't agree more. Rickey was always an absolute gem with me, too. I can't say the same about the person who used to market his stuff and run his signings, but Rickey himself was always terrific and happy to see and talk about his game used items. He is quite misunderstood by a lot of fans and collectors.
          When Rickey was with the Red Sox he tossed a BP ball to my daughter and some adult ahole cut in front of her and grabbed the ball. Rickey proceeded to rip into the guy about how bad of person he was for doing that. The guy eventually gave my daughter the ball back and I became a fan of 'the greatest of all time.'
          Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
          ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• godwulf
            • Aug 2007

Hey, I was hoping to be able to contribute another story to this thread, but my week continues to suck.

Drove over to Scottsdale Stadium this morning, to try to get their new hitting coach (and former Diamondback) Hensley Meulens to sign a couple of bats for me - a '92 Yankees Rawlings, and a '98 LS - and...well, I struck out again.

Sitting there in the front row of the bleachers, just a few yards from Tim Lincecum, Travis Ishikawa, Aaron Rowand, etc - it would have been a great situation for a Giants fan looking for autographs...but when I asked one of the players, as he jogged by (he was wearing an unmarked shirt over his jersey, so I have no idea who he was) if their hitting coach was around, he said, "No, he's (something unintelligible)" and pointed up. (Died and went to heaven? Gee, I hope not.)

Unfortunately, all of the other Cactus League ballparks are some distance from where I live and work...Phoenix Muni and Scottsdale are the only ones that I don't have to invest half a day to go visit.

Oh, well. To get back at Hensley for not being where he was supposed to be this morning, and to liven up an otherwise dreary (and somewhat whiney) post, here's a picture of him, playing in the Netherlands in 2000.

Well, I mean, pot is legal there, right?
            Jeff
            godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• flota89
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by JETEFAN
              Don Mattingly could not have been nicer when I shared part of my "Donnie" gamer collection with him. We talked for over 1/2 hour as he shared stories on each bat and uniform. He was truly humbled that I chose him as the focus for my collection. Great person, great time!!!
              That's awesome. Did he actually remember some of the bats?
              Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
              flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

• JETEFAN
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
                Great story. Doesn't that make all your time and effort all the more worthwhile. And you probably cant beat the stories he told about your items. Did you get any new information about any of your items or was he pretty much verifying what you already knew you had. Thanks for sharing.
                Pretty much verifying or confirming what I knew, I have been collecting his stuff for over 20 years so I've done my homework.... confirmation does make you feel good though!

Comment

• JETEFAN
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by flota89
                  That's awesome. Did he actually remember some of the bats?
                  He did actually remember 2 of my bats, the first his rookie bat with "46" on the knob. For some reason he recognized it as his and used by him and noted "Rookie Gamer" on the bat. And also an M1728 bat which he claims very few exist due to them cracking very easily, it was a model designed by him and given the model number for his kids birth dates. Don said he loved the feel of the bat but it was a bat design as they cracked very easily. I thought the bat was not cracked and he bet me he would find the crack, he went right to the crack!!, said they all cracked at the same spot. He also notated "gamer" on the bat.... (Bat has also been photo matched since then.)

George

George

Comment

• tigerdale
                    • Dec 2007

awesome stories.....amazing what some players remember....very cool.
                    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
                    Thank you, Dale
                    tigers1984@comcast.net

Comment

• MUSEOVEN
                      • Aug 2007

Yesterday I Went To A Baseball Card Show Here In Caracas And The Ballplayers Who Are Siging Was Oscar Azocar (yankee And Padres) And Julio Machado (mets And Brewers).. Was Great See Oscas Azocar Face When He Seen My 2 Tiburones De La Guaira Jerseys, The San Diego Jersey And The Bats.. Both Ballplayers Was Great .. Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

• pungent
                        • Dec 2009

Hi JETEFAN, I really like the photo you posted with you and Mattingly - can you please tell me more about this photo, how did you get Mattingly to come visit you, was this your home, how long did the meeting last and do you have other photos from this moment? thanks!

Comment

• ironmanfan
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by MUSEOVEN
                          Yesterday I Went To A Baseball Card Show Here In Caracas And The Ballplayers Who Are Siging Was Oscar Azocar (yankee And Padres) And Julio Machado (mets And Brewers).. Was Great See Oscas Azocar Face When He Seen My 2 Tiburones De La Guaira Jerseys, The San Diego Jersey And The Bats.. Both Ballplayers Was Great .. Thanks
                          Wasn't Machado in jail for some time?

Comment

• sportscentury
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by worldchamps
                            At the T Mobile Rookie Challenge game during All Star weekend, i took my Brent Barry jersey from when the Spurs player over in Europe. The jersey has red white and blue strips on the side, they are pretty cool looking. When he saw me pull the jersey out of the bag, he was so excited. He said he had one as well and loved the jersey. It was pretty cool getting to talk to him about it, you can see Chris Webber in the background. Didnt have anything for him, so didnt bother him.
                            Really nice. Loved Barry as a player (and slam dunk champ!) and like him every bit as much as an analyst on NBATV (and once in a while on TNT's Inside the NBA). Great shirt and great photo. Congrats.
                            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• MUSEOVEN
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                              Wasn't Machado in jail for some time?
                              yes he was in jail for killing a woman in barquisimeto, venezuela.-

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by MUSEOVEN
                                yes he was in jail for killing a woman in barquisimeto, venezuela.-
                                Wow, nice guy.

Comment

Working...