Your experiences with players who validated (or didn't validate) your game used items

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: Positive player reaction to seeing his GAMER

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
    Wow, nice guy.
    My hero.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
      • May 2009

Originally posted by skyking26
      My hero.
      Yikes!

Comment

• JETEFAN
        • Dec 2005

[quote=pungent;192917]Hi JETEFAN, I really like the photo you posted with you and Mattingly - can you please tell me more about this photo, how did you get Mattingly to come visit you, was this your home, how long did the meeting last and do you have other photos from this moment? thanks![/quote

I went to a show in Evansville last year and was invited to Mattingly's house the day before the show. We spoke about my collection and he asked me to take my stuff to the show the following week and set up in one of the back rooms where he would meet me 1 hour before so he could see my collection. What an experiance!!!!

George

Comment

• psychovb
          • Mar 2010

Your experiences with players who validated (or didn't validate) your game used items

Would love to hear the stories of players who confirmed or denied that an item was game used. The ones that have been denied would probably make a more interesting read and we could all learn a thing or two from them.

Here's mine. I attended a recent Will Clark signing and brought him a '92 bat and '86 jersey to sign...both supposedly game used. With the '92 bat which was hammered with use, he took a look at it and told me right away, "this bat was never used in a game." My heart skipped a beat when Will uttered those words. I wasn't so worried about my bat, but sweating bullets that he would say the same of my '86 rookie jersey! He did go on to inform me that he did use the bat (batting practice)...but just not in a game. And he told me what to look for in one of his game used bats...tons of pine tar.

So on to the jersey. I pull out the jersey for him to sign and asked him if he could inscribe it as "1986 Gamer". He then flips the jersey to find the tagging. As you can see in the picture, Will studied it pretty intently. After a tense moment, he proceeded to sign it with the inscription. What a relief!

This was my 2nd time I've met Will at a signing. Each time, he's been a class act. He shook hands, smiled graciously, cracked jokes, got up to take pictures...what more can you ask for?

Always looking for Will Clark game used items in his Giants playing days. Contact: psychovb@yahoo.com
          Attached Files

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Re: Your experiences with players who validated (or didn't validate) your game used items

Back when my finances were better, I bought a 1999 Browns home gamer of John Jurkovic, a former NFLer who at the time was a co-host on the local ESPN station's "Mac, Jurko, and Harry Show" (now called "The Afternoon Saloon" as Mac left the mix a couple of years ago). The notion was to doante it to the autistic kids charity golf tournament that the departed Mac used to host every summer as an offshoot of the show. I went to a remote broadcast the threesome was doing, and, at a commercial break, got Jurko's attention with it. Not only did Jurko verify it was his jersey...he even remembered it as the one he was wearing when he was injured in a game that season. Jurko is a fun guy, and the jersey got multiple mentions in the weeks leading up to the golf tournament, both by the MJH trio and by a football beat reporter who declared his intent to bid on and win the jersey.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• mbenga28
              • Nov 2008

Re: Your experiences with players who validated (or didn't validate) your game used items

why is there a lady sitting next to him while examining the jersey but not the bat?

Comment

• vballGuy
                • Dec 2009

Very cool story. Since you asked for people's experiences with players validating game-used items, here is a recent thread which discusses when I met Jesse Barfield and asked him to validate a game-used cap:

------------------------------------
                My Blue Jays Collection

Comment

• CampWest
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by mbenga28
                  why is there a lady sitting next to him while examining the jersey but not the bat?
                  Are you asking why she is there in the jersey picture? or are you asking why is she not there in the bat picture? I'm not sure of her relevance in validating the bat's BP usage or the jersey's authenticity, but I'd guess she got up to do something else.
                  sigpic
                  Wes Campbell

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

Players are not the best at validating stuff. Sometimes guys validate stuff they did not actually use (we have all seen the GU iscription on bad stuff), other times they say they did not use stuff when they did as some guys are very hostile to and resentful of the hobby and other times guys just plain don't know if they used it or not.

Comment

• ROCKET
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by psychovb
                      Would love to hear the stories of players who confirmed or denied that an item was game used. The ones that have been denied would probably make a more interesting read and we could all learn a thing or two from them.

Here's mine. I attended a recent Will Clark signing and brought him a '92 bat and '86 jersey to sign...both supposedly game used. With the '92 bat which was hammered with use, he took a look at it and told me right away, "this bat was never used in a game." My heart skipped a beat when Will uttered those words. I wasn't so worried about my bat, but sweating bullets that he would say the same of my '86 rookie jersey! He did go on to inform me that he did use the bat (batting practice)...but just not in a game. And he told me what to look for in one of his game used bats...tons of pine tar.

So on to the jersey. I pull out the jersey for him to sign and asked him if he could inscribe it as "1986 Gamer". He then flips the jersey to find the tagging. As you can see in the picture, Will studied it pretty intently. After a tense moment, he proceeded to sign it with the inscription. What a relief!

This was my 2nd time I've met Will at a signing. Each time, he's been a class act. He shook hands, smiled graciously, cracked jokes, got up to take pictures...what more can you ask for?

Always looking for Will Clark game used items in his Giants playing days. Contact: psychovb@yahoo.com

Nice stuff dude, is that jersey displayed inside a glass case? Could you show any more pics of your jersey display?

Love the jersey!!!

Comment

Working...