Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walter Payton GU Jersey Question

I have the opportunity to maybe buy a Walter Payton GU Jersey that is also signed and nicely framed. My question to you is how much would this be worth? I am just curious. Do you think 5K, 10K, or 15K?

Thanks,
    Dustin

Re: Walter Payton GU Jersey Question

Could you please let me know what you think this could be worth. It is from 1985.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Please post pictures of the jersey and tagging. What kind of use does it display?

Dave

Banned

First you should have posted in the GU memorabilia discussion you would have gotten more responses. Second as the other poster said post pics. Third never buy a jersey in a frame without having the seller remove it from the frame and photograph the entire jersey for you. You need to see the tagging, the degree of use (running back jerseys should show heavy use because of the constant pounding they take) and the condition (i.e, has it started to yellow, are there any tears, etc.). A trick people use sometimes to sell bad stuff is to frame it up so people cannot examine it. And a nice frame fools people sometimes. Fourth, what year is it from? That matters alot in value a jersey from 85 (the super bowl year) or 77 (his mvp year) would command a premium. Fifth has anyone authenticated it? A letter from MEARS or a comparable expert not named Lou Lampson would cause it to fetch a premium.

I am going to go look at it tonight. I have not scene it yet nor do I know the authenticity of it yet. Please let me know of anything I should notice to make it real. I do not have any gu jerseys so this is kind of new to me.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Walter Payton GU Jersey Question

Manufacturer-wise, it must be Wilson. There are cheesy Sand-Knit replicas of Sweetness that have fooled novices. If it's a Sand-Knit, it isn't game worn.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Manufacturer-wise, it must be Wilson. There are cheesy Sand-Knit replicas of Sweetness that have fooled novices. If it's a Sand-Knit, it isn't game worn.

Dave Miedema
    Indeed. However, Wilson made retail jerseys tagged like gamers, with NOBs (and heat-pressed lettering).
    Can anyone tell the difference? Those mid 80s Bears jerseys are just as bad as early 90s Champion NBA. Contrary to whatever the Osmonds say: One bad apple DOES spoil the whole bunch, girl.

What does NOB stand for? Will the letters be sewn on? I appreciate all the help. Please help me for other things to look out for.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Wow! Another Dustin!

NOB stands for "name on back".