Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan
Am I the only one who doesn't consider him a true HOFer WITHOUT even counting the steriods/supplements issues???

I mean, sure, he hit a lot of home runs, but what else did he do? I know '98 was exciting, but '91 was painful!

Perhaps I'm the only one who wants more than just one dimension from a HOF player?

Ken
I guess my only question is without looking up the individual OPS/Slugging/ONBase etc. for all members of the 500 homer club, if 500 homers has been in the past an automatic ticket punch to the HOF why would McGwire steroids aside here not go in? His HR/AB ratio is I believe one of the top 2 of all time perhaps even better at this point than Babe Ruth I would need to double check that. If McGwire would not have missed nearly 3 full seasons to injury, we are looking at a 650-700 homer guy and as it stands now he nearly hit 600. I don't agree with the reference to a supersized Dave Kingman. They are not even comparable. Kingman was a horrible fielder McGwire won a gold glove and was considered better than average at 1st. Check Kingman's slugging and on base vs. McGwire. Not even close McGwire blows him away and in addition has over 100 more homers in about the same number of at bats.

Take steroids out of it and answer this, Is 500 homers no longer an instant HOF ticket punch? I don't know the answer to that but one dimensional or not the man hit 583 career homers so based on historical voting it would seem that he would have to go in if there was no steroid issues.

Brett Herman
brettherman2131@hotmail.com