Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • staindsox
    • Jun 2006

Re: Big Mac staying home in 2007?

I worked at the Hall for a summer as an intern in the library and they say the biggest induction was Brooks Robinson, on account of Baltimore being right there...Cal is gonna break another record. The day he announced he was going to retire, people were calling for reservations for induction weekend. It is going to be amazing!!! I would prefer Mac not be there anyway. Both Tony and Cal as A#1 classy and they should not have one once of controversy on their day. Anyone going?

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• mr.miracle
      • Apr 2006

I would not miss this induction ceremony if I had to sleep in a tent and walk 15 miles into town. (That might not be too far of a stretch)

Brett
      Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• sportscentury
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by staindsox
        I would prefer Mac not be there anyway. Both Tony and Cal as A#1 classy and they should not have one once of controversy on their day.
        Chris,

I agree. Cal and Tony are too good to be inducted with Mac. I wouldn't mind Jim Rice, Goose, and a few others guys being inducted eventually, but I'd be happy to just see Cal and Tony.

I'm going to try to go...but don't have a place yet and there were no vacancies to be had when we just up there looking.

Reid
        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• sportscentury
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mr.miracle
          I would not miss this induction ceremony if I had to sleep in a tent and walk 15 miles into town. (That might not be too far of a stretch)

Brett
          Brett,

You are not alone ... not by far. Next year will be absolute madness. Best of luck with finding a place. It is grim.

Reid
          Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• mr.miracle
            • Apr 2006

I am or was planning to go up on Thursday through Sunday or Monday after the induction ceremony. Depending on how far away I have to stay (say Albany) and drive down, I may rethink those plans. As much as I love Cooperstown, the thought of dealing with crowds in excess of 100,000 people in a small town like Cooperstown is overwhelming. I may end up just going for the HOF ceremony on Sunday and returning at a later date to take everything in. You are right Reid, this is going to be very, very ugly up there.

Brett
            Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• camarokids
              • Jun 2006

I had the "great honor" of meeting McGwire in 1997 spring training and was hoping to get his auto . Didn't even come close to getting his signature , McGwire was a joke , all he would do is walk around and grunt like a cave man . You could see and feel his anger built up inside himself . Not to mention the acne scars on his face , which is usually a tell tale sign of steroids use. Maybe he was having a bad day ????
              Thank you,
              David

This is my email address here!
              dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by camarokids
                I had the "great honor" of meeting McGwire in 1997 spring training and was hoping to get his auto . Didn't even come close to getting his signature , McGwire was a joke , all he would do is walk around and grunt like a cave man . You could see and feel his anger built up inside himself . Not to mention the acne scars on his face , which is usually a tell tale sign of steroids use. Maybe he was having a bad day ????
                Wow, Mac grunted?

I didn't know acne scars were a sign of steroid use. Is this documented somewhere? I didn't notice any scars on Barry Bonds, Ralphy Palmiero, Frank Thomas (who I had cocktails with last year so I saw him up-close), Ivan Rodriguez, etc...

Comment

• psmachetti
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                  Wow, Mac grunted?

I didn't know acne scars were a sign of steroid use. Is this documented somewhere? I didn't notice any scars on Barry Bonds, Ralphy Palmiero, Frank Thomas (who I had cocktails with last year so I saw him up-close), Ivan Rodriguez, etc...
                  Uhhhh......yeah. Acne on the back and sometimes on your face is a telltale sign and side effect of steroid use. So is losing your hair, so is an abnormally rapid change in the size of your body. Steroids are a synnthetic version of male hormone testosterone , which is what males start to produce at puberty. What happens when you reach puberty ? You get acne for one thing and your hairline starts receding(although it's not a noticeable thing at that stage in development) So you take abnormally large amounts of this and you accelerate those things that puberty causes.
                  Paul

Comment

• trsent
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Didn't Mac have acne issues before anyone accused him of using any drugs?

I wanted to know what other players accused of being abusers had acne issues.

Comment

• staindsox
                      • Jun 2006

Several sources say Bonds has bad back acne. I don't know about Sosa, Giambi, Palmeiro, etc. It sounds like the heavier the dose, the worse the side-effects...sounds obvious enough. Canseco didn't inject as much or as often as Bonds, so he may not have as bad an acne issue.
                      Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• sportscentury
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjmedina1
                        The only way I see a voter not voting him in is if theres hard core evidence that proves he infact did take steriods.
                        Carlie,

I know you're a big McGwire fan, but you should know that many (not just a few) of the baseball writers who have votes have already gone on the record stating that they will never vote for McGwire. I'll be blown away (absolutely flabbergasted) if he gets in this year ... and I would not be too surprised if he does not get in at all (though I'll bet he gets in eventually). I'm not trying to argue with you; but you should prepare yourself for a long road.

Reid

Comment

• cjmedina1
                          • Oct 2005

Reid
                          Thanks.I have a feeling its going to be a real long road.Sign me up for your emails that you send out.Thanks again Reid chat later.
                          Carlie Medina III
                          carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Comment

• sportscentury
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjmedina1
                            Reid
                            Thanks.I have a feeling its going to be a real long road.Sign me up for your emails that you send out.Thanks again Reid chat later.
                            Carlie Medina III
                            carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net
                            Carlie,

Thanks. These days, I don't send out my list unless someone requests it. I'll be happy to forward it to you. I have been planning to post the list on GUF for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. It is substantially different from when I first posted it several months back.

Best,
                            Reid

Comment

• metsbats
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by camarokids

I read that "anger" is a side effect of steroids.

"Rage, anger, flying off the handle, uncontrollable, unconsolable, and weight gain. "

Perhaps that would explain the grunting like a cave man too.

-David
                              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Nathan
                                • Nov 2005

I can only hope that with the amount of information on steroids available everywhere that people can do a bit more research before posting here.

First off, acne scars are NOT a telltale sign of anything except that someone once had acne (probably as a teenager) and was impatient in getting rid of it. The three guys I know with the worst acne scars are hardly on steroids; one had a hormonal imbalance that caused an unusual amount of acne, the other would use a straight-edge razor to cut acne off his face (gross, I know), and the third has a skin condition in which heat can cause the re-emergence of faded acne scars.

Acne in unusual places and concentrations is a better sign. Most men suffer sizable drops in the amount of testosterone between age 25-35, which is why so few men of that age or older have anything resembling acne. Believe me, I've seen quite a few heavy steroid users (as in I actually know they use them)...we're talking men in their late 30s and older who have enormous patches of acne in strange places (back of the shoulders are a good place, but far from the only place).

Rage and anger hardly are telltale signs of steroid use. Bizarre mood swings in the absence of other mental issues (i.e. Mike Tyson) are a better indicator, but just take a look at some of the people involved in road rage incidents and think "Oh yeah, that guy's probably hanging out with Ben Johnson".

Mr. Smachetti,

Anabolic steroids are synthetic testosterone, but the BALCO investigation has focused on much more than simply steroids. Anyone want to take a guess as to where Clomid comes from? (HINT: it's pretty bizarre, and if anyone using it knew where it came from they'd never do it again)
                                Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

Working...