Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Nice. Here is another that I have referred to:

http://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/2010...-cap-tags.html
    Thanks for the link. I will look to see how similar our findings were. I used some of your hats in my research. I pinpointed your Figgins cap to 2005 and I have checked several hats that had good provenance and had the white background on the tape and they are came up 2005 so I feel pretty confident it is not a coincidence.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Thanks for the link. I will look to see how similar our findings were. I used some of your hats in my research. I pinpointed your Figgins cap to 2005 and I have checked several hats that had good provenance and had the white background on the tape and they are came up 2005 so I feel pretty confident it is not a coincidence.
    Awesome Joel. I'll be putting your thread link on mywebsite if that is cool with you.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Awesome Joel. I'll be putting your thread link on mywebsite if that is cool with you.
    Sure. Why not if you don't mind it still being in development.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    It would be good to remember that, just as jerseys from previous years/tag styles sometimes get used in a later given year, the same holds true for caps. When at MEARS, I wrote up some 2003-04 Colorado Rockies caps with team LOAs. Most were tagged with the 1999-2001 labels.

Dave Miedema
    good point. carryover of tags would be common. i would not discount your cap as it comes in the previous tag period. Of course I would have concerns if it was two prior tag periods. remember it's one factor and it's very basic. cap size, provenance, and hat logo style match are more important imho.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Thanks on the reply. Your hats look like great examples that would assist in the research. If you can take photos of your 4 hats at an angle that I can read the tags, that would be helpful. Some of your tags are folded backwards too and I do not want to guess what tags they are.

The samples from the 1992 Blue Jays large size book are interesting to me too. Scans would be helpful. I am not sure why the Blue Jays would be interested in photographing the inside of the hats but I might find something useful.

On the size tag being different on the 1988-1993 than what you have seen, are the size tag you have seen look like the 1985-1987 or 1993-1996 version?
    Do you think you can track down some example and I will look back on my example. I will note this down tho. Thanks.

Those borderline years were hard to determine. Could there be variances at the breakpoints? I imagine yes. Tags are tags and hat are hats. I am sure the manufacturers used up all tags even if new tags were introduced and equipment managers didn’t throw away surplus hats just because it was at the end of the season.
    Hi Joel. I'll try and email you some more detailed pics sometime tonight or tomorrow night. The size tag on my 1992 gamer is similar to the tag shown in your 1988-1993 row entry. So still within reason. It just doesn't match up well with your 1992 row entry.

The large Blue Jays photobook that I have doesn't have direct photos of the underside of the caps, however there are a few photos where various Blue Jays are holding their caps up, and you can clearly see the size tag in one of these photos. I'll scan this one and send it to you -- but it was merely to illustrate that: a) The underside brim colour (green) matches up with my gamer; and b) The size tag is similar to what you've shown in the 1988-1993 row entry.
    ------------------------------------
    My Blue Jays Collection

Quote Originally Posted by vballGuy View Post
    Hi Joel. I'll try and email you some more detailed pics sometime tonight or tomorrow night. The size tag on my 1992 gamer is similar to the tag shown in your 1988-1993 row entry. So still within reason. It just doesn't match up well with your 1992 row entry.
    Thanks.

Like I said most of the samples from the 1992 range look like the 1988-1993 row.

I just like some of the sample I have from the 1992 season with these three combination of tags. One example is a White Sox cap for Scott Hemmond. He a perfect sample being not a star and having been traded in the middle of the season to Chicago and not being resigned in 1993. Great provenance too. But the more sample I have the better you can make an analysis of what is going on so I am leaving that up for now.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Not an expert, but the Figgins hat I have is definitely 2002-03. I'm can't say for sure, but the 2001-2005 hats apparently had both New Era tags during that era (if the blog I showed is correct). The overlap in years is definitely a possibility (both Joel and the blog state this). I'm definitely stoked though that Joel"s and the blog primers are now available. Finally, hats get there due!!!!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Not an expert, but the Figgins hat I have is definitely 2002-03. I'm can't say for sure, but the 2001-2005 hats apparently had both New Era tags during that era (if the blog I showed is correct). The overlap in years is definitely a possibility (both Joel and the blog state this). I'm definitely stoked though that Joel"s and the blog primers are now available. Finally, hats get there due!!!!
    You are right Rob........hats are way overdue in getting recognition about their collectability in the hobby. It would also be great to know how many hat collectors there are that visit the forum and what exactly they are looking for, whether it be game worn examples, mint unused, particular teams, players, manufacturers, etc. It would be interesting and informative to know, so I may just create a thread for that.

-Walt
    Evergreen7777@att.net

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Joel:

I just dug up my 2001 9/11 Kevin Young Pirates cap, given to me by Young after the last game of the season. It has the brown New Era tag you have ascribed to 2002-04. I tend to believe, based on my own research, that the brown tags were common (though not exclusive) in 2001.

Dave Miedema