X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vballGuy
    • Dec 2009

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Originally posted by joelsabi
    Thanks on the reply. Your hats look like great examples that would assist in the research. If you can take photos of your 4 hats at an angle that I can read the tags, that would be helpful. Some of your tags are folded backwards too and I do not want to guess what tags they are.

The samples from the 1992 Blue Jays large size book are interesting to me too. Scans would be helpful. I am not sure why the Blue Jays would be interested in photographing the inside of the hats but I might find something useful.

On the size tag being different on the 1988-1993 than what you have seen, are the size tag you have seen look like the 1985-1987 or 1993-1996 version?
    Do you think you can track down some example and I will look back on my example. I will note this down tho. Thanks.

Those borderline years were hard to determine. Could there be variances at the breakpoints? I imagine yes. Tags are tags and hat are hats. I am sure the manufacturers used up all tags even if new tags were introduced and equipment managers didn’t throw away surplus hats just because it was at the end of the season.
    Hi Joel. I'll try and email you some more detailed pics sometime tonight or tomorrow night. The size tag on my 1992 gamer is similar to the tag shown in your 1988-1993 row entry. So still within reason. It just doesn't match up well with your 1992 row entry.

The large Blue Jays photobook that I have doesn't have direct photos of the underside of the caps, however there are a few photos where various Blue Jays are holding their caps up, and you can clearly see the size tag in one of these photos. I'll scan this one and send it to you -- but it was merely to illustrate that: a) The underside brim colour (green) matches up with my gamer; and b) The size tag is similar to what you've shown in the 1988-1993 row entry.
    ------------------------------------
    My Blue Jays Collection

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by vballGuy
      Hi Joel. I'll try and email you some more detailed pics sometime tonight or tomorrow night. The size tag on my 1992 gamer is similar to the tag shown in your 1988-1993 row entry. So still within reason. It just doesn't match up well with your 1992 row entry.
      Thanks.

Like I said most of the samples from the 1992 range look like the 1988-1993 row.

I just like some of the sample I have from the 1992 season with these three combination of tags. One example is a White Sox cap for Scott Hemmond. He a perfect sample being not a star and having been traded in the middle of the season to Chicago and not being resigned in 1993. Great provenance too. But the more sample I have the better you can make an analysis of what is going on so I am leaving that up for now.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Rob L
        • Nov 2005

Not an expert, but the Figgins hat I have is definitely 2002-03. I'm can't say for sure, but the 2001-2005 hats apparently had both New Era tags during that era (if the blog I showed is correct). The overlap in years is definitely a possibility (both Joel and the blog state this). I'm definitely stoked though that Joel"s and the blog primers are now available. Finally, hats get there due!!!!
        Rob L
        loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• Tallyman77
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rob L
          Not an expert, but the Figgins hat I have is definitely 2002-03. I'm can't say for sure, but the 2001-2005 hats apparently had both New Era tags during that era (if the blog I showed is correct). The overlap in years is definitely a possibility (both Joel and the blog state this). I'm definitely stoked though that Joel"s and the blog primers are now available. Finally, hats get there due!!!!
          You are right Rob........hats are way overdue in getting recognition about their collectability in the hobby. It would also be great to know how many hat collectors there are that visit the forum and what exactly they are looking for, whether it be game worn examples, mint unused, particular teams, players, manufacturers, etc. It would be interesting and informative to know, so I may just create a thread for that.

-Walt
          Evergreen7777@att.net

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Joel:

I just dug up my 2001 9/11 Kevin Young Pirates cap, given to me by Young after the last game of the season. It has the brown New Era tag you have ascribed to 2002-04. I tend to believe, based on my own research, that the brown tags were common (though not exclusive) in 2001.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Rob L
              • Nov 2005

Here's a 9-11-2009 cap worn by Chone Figgins. Multiple tag years and a white band:
              Attached Files
              Rob L
              loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• Tigerfan
                • Feb 2007

Hi Joel,

Nice work on the hat tagging Primer.

I have been collecting game used hats for some time.
                I have collected more than 60 game used hats mostly of Detroit Tigers players.
                The caps in my collection range in time from 1927-1928, 1930's,1940's 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's 1990's, and 2000, 2006, 2007, 2009, &
                2010. I do have some year specific caps such by New Era such as 1967, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1970, 1995, 2000, 20056, 2007, 2009, and 2010. I also have been able through comparison, allocated specific years to other caps.
                I have cataloged each cap and have compared all details of each cap to other caps, to align by similar cap, by player & year. Of course the early caps up to the 1960's are tagged by Spalding, Wilson, Tim McAuliffe.
                I am going back and making sure that the information I have recorded is correct and the with the same nomenclature for similar caps.
                I was also comtemplating how I could put a catalog together with pictures of each cap, noting the differences similar to what you have done, just have not gotten their yet. I have to figure out how to take all the pictures and catalog them, which is something I am not up to speed as of now.

The few hats that I have that are not Tigers are (1) Twins, (2) Yankees, and one that you might be interested in, a mariners cap from 1997-1998 worn & autographed by Alex Rodriguez.

Your primer will be an aid to me, and hopefully I can provide you with some information that I have recorded that will enhance your primer.
                send me your email and I will be glad to communicate any information to you.

Keep up the good work.

Bob Bellair
                Tigerfan

bbellair7@comcast.net

I am sure that I can provide some information to you that may be of interest.

i'll just give a br

I have also been working

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Update primarily what happened from 1988 to 1992. I like the flow better on the MLB tags using 4 rows. If you have any questions about the chart, post it here.

The blog referred to earlier in the thread by Rob has no example of the company tag that I used for the 2005 row and I have some examples that were attributed to 2005. I am thinking maybe it's a carryover and that tag was introduced in 2004 instead but I do not have proof yet. The new "blue box" logo was introduced in 2005, according to the New Era website but I have not seen one yet that could have been used in 2005. The "blue box" logo is shown on the 2006 row.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com
                  Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Rob L
                    • Nov 2005

Hey Joel,

I got a hold of the guy from the blog and showed him this thread. He loved it and wants to update his blog. You may want to hook up with him and combine the research. His name is Paul Carr and seems to be very cool. Keep up the good work!!this is an awesome thread.

Btw, received a 1991 Goose Gossage cap today. On the Diamond tag, the Authentic portion is a over the logo.
                    Rob L
                    loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Tigerfan
                      Hi Joel,

Nice work on the hat tagging Primer.

I have been collecting game used hats for some time.
                      I have collected more than 60 game used hats mostly of Detroit Tigers players.
                      The caps in my collection range in time from 1927-1928, 1930's,1940's 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's 1990's, and 2000, 2006, 2007, 2009, &
                      2010. I do have some year specific caps such by New Era such as 1967, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1970, 1995, 2000, 20056, 2007, 2009, and 2010.
                      bbellair7@comcast.net

I am sure that I can provide some information to you that may be of interest.

I have also been working
                      Hi Bob,

Sounds like a very nice collection and look forward to your help to confirm and enhance the chart.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Hey Joel,

I got a hold of the guy from the blog and showed him this thread. He loved it and wants to update his blog. You may want to hook up with him and combine the research. His name is Paul Carr and seems to be very cool. Keep up the good work!!this is an awesome thread.

Btw, received a 1991 Goose Gossage cap today. On the Diamond tag, the Authentic portion is a over the logo.
                        I have some good examples that show that the Authentic portion was in the logo for the first time 1991. So all the chart is saying is that the Diamond tagged changed in 1991.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Hey Joel,

That would be cool to get his input. Can you email me his email addy?
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Rob L
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
                            I have some good examples that show that the Authentic portion was in the logo for the first time 1991. So all the chart is saying is that the Diamond tagged changed in 1991.
                            Yep. Didn't notice all the changes you had made when I posted. I believe that both you and Paul are correct that plus or minus a year based as New Era started making changes is very sensible.
                            Rob L
                            loefflerrd@cox.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Yep. Didn't notice all the changes you had made when I posted. I believe that both you and Paul are correct that plus or minus a year based as New Era started making changes is very sensible.
                              Yes. It does not invalidate the cap. It just says that the most recent tag at that time was not on this cap. Carryover, within reason, as Dave mentioned is very common. Some players like to use their caps for more than one year. Some get last year's caps from the frugal equipment manager. That is why other factors are more important when collecting caps.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Tigerfan
                                I have cataloged each cap and have compared all details of each cap to other caps, to align by similar cap, by player & year. Of course the early caps up to the 1960's are tagged by Spalding, Wilson, Tim McAuliffe.
                                I am going back and making sure that the information I have recorded is correct and the with the same nomenclature for similar caps.
                                I was also comtemplating how I could put a catalog together with pictures of each cap, noting the differences similar to what you have done, just have not gotten their yet. I have to figure out how to take all the pictures and catalog them, which is something I am not up to speed as of now.
                                Bob,

One of the most helpful things would be if you had already a column for the date that you bought the item or the date that each cap came into your collection and how you you obtain it. Hopefully that is something that you kept track of.
                                Regards,
                                Joel S.
                                joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...