Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Here's a 9-11-2009 cap worn by Chone Figgins. Multiple tag years and a white band:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Hi Joel,

Nice work on the hat tagging Primer.

I have been collecting game used hats for some time.
    I have collected more than 60 game used hats mostly of Detroit Tigers players.
    The caps in my collection range in time from 1927-1928, 1930's,1940's 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's 1990's, and 2000, 2006, 2007, 2009, &
    2010. I do have some year specific caps such by New Era such as 1967, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1970, 1995, 2000, 20056, 2007, 2009, and 2010. I also have been able through comparison, allocated specific years to other caps.
    I have cataloged each cap and have compared all details of each cap to other caps, to align by similar cap, by player & year. Of course the early caps up to the 1960's are tagged by Spalding, Wilson, Tim McAuliffe.
    I am going back and making sure that the information I have recorded is correct and the with the same nomenclature for similar caps.
    I was also comtemplating how I could put a catalog together with pictures of each cap, noting the differences similar to what you have done, just have not gotten their yet. I have to figure out how to take all the pictures and catalog them, which is something I am not up to speed as of now.

The few hats that I have that are not Tigers are (1) Twins, (2) Yankees, and one that you might be interested in, a mariners cap from 1997-1998 worn & autographed by Alex Rodriguez.

Your primer will be an aid to me, and hopefully I can provide you with some information that I have recorded that will enhance your primer.
    send me your email and I will be glad to communicate any information to you.

Keep up the good work.

Bob Bellair
    Tigerfan

bbellair7@comcast.net

I am sure that I can provide some information to you that may be of interest.

i'll just give a br

I have also been working

Update primarily what happened from 1988 to 1992. I like the flow better on the MLB tags using 4 rows. If you have any questions about the chart, post it here.

The blog referred to earlier in the thread by Rob has no example of the company tag that I used for the 2005 row and I have some examples that were attributed to 2005. I am thinking maybe it's a carryover and that tag was introduced in 2004 instead but I do not have proof yet. The new "blue box" logo was introduced in 2005, according to the New Era website but I have not seen one yet that could have been used in 2005. The "blue box" logo is shown on the 2006 row.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Hey Joel,

I got a hold of the guy from the blog and showed him this thread. He loved it and wants to update his blog. You may want to hook up with him and combine the research. His name is Paul Carr and seems to be very cool. Keep up the good work!!this is an awesome thread.

Btw, received a 1991 Goose Gossage cap today. On the Diamond tag, the Authentic portion is a over the logo.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfan View Post
    Hi Joel,

Nice work on the hat tagging Primer.

I have been collecting game used hats for some time.
    I have collected more than 60 game used hats mostly of Detroit Tigers players.
    The caps in my collection range in time from 1927-1928, 1930's,1940's 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's 1990's, and 2000, 2006, 2007, 2009, &
    2010. I do have some year specific caps such by New Era such as 1967, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1970, 1995, 2000, 20056, 2007, 2009, and 2010.
    bbellair7@comcast.net

I am sure that I can provide some information to you that may be of interest.

I have also been working
    Hi Bob,

Sounds like a very nice collection and look forward to your help to confirm and enhance the chart.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Hey Joel,

I got a hold of the guy from the blog and showed him this thread. He loved it and wants to update his blog. You may want to hook up with him and combine the research. His name is Paul Carr and seems to be very cool. Keep up the good work!!this is an awesome thread.

Btw, received a 1991 Goose Gossage cap today. On the Diamond tag, the Authentic portion is a over the logo.
    I have some good examples that show that the Authentic portion was in the logo for the first time 1991. So all the chart is saying is that the Diamond tagged changed in 1991.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Hey Joel,

That would be cool to get his input. Can you email me his email addy?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I have some good examples that show that the Authentic portion was in the logo for the first time 1991. So all the chart is saying is that the Diamond tagged changed in 1991.
    Yep. Didn't notice all the changes you had made when I posted. I believe that both you and Paul are correct that plus or minus a year based as New Era started making changes is very sensible.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Yep. Didn't notice all the changes you had made when I posted. I believe that both you and Paul are correct that plus or minus a year based as New Era started making changes is very sensible.
    Yes. It does not invalidate the cap. It just says that the most recent tag at that time was not on this cap. Carryover, within reason, as Dave mentioned is very common. Some players like to use their caps for more than one year. Some get last year's caps from the frugal equipment manager. That is why other factors are more important when collecting caps.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfan View Post
    I have cataloged each cap and have compared all details of each cap to other caps, to align by similar cap, by player & year. Of course the early caps up to the 1960's are tagged by Spalding, Wilson, Tim McAuliffe.
    I am going back and making sure that the information I have recorded is correct and the with the same nomenclature for similar caps.
    I was also comtemplating how I could put a catalog together with pictures of each cap, noting the differences similar to what you have done, just have not gotten their yet. I have to figure out how to take all the pictures and catalog them, which is something I am not up to speed as of now.
    Bob,

One of the most helpful things would be if you had already a column for the date that you bought the item or the date that each cap came into your collection and how you you obtain it. Hopefully that is something that you kept track of.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com