Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Sorry it took me so long to get to taking a pic of this. This is a Howie Kendrick game-used cap I purchased at an auction from the Angels. The letter is dated from February 2008. I believe this cap is game-used from the 2007 season. Check out the photos:

Hey everyone this is Paul, author of the Ballcap Blog. I've got a new tag for you to add to the chart. This tag is from the early to mid 1950s.

Does anyone know WHEN New Era started making 'Cooperstown Collection' or 'Throwback' hats?

This might throw a monkey wrench into the works, but I just picked up a New Era with tagging that matches on the chart to the PRE 1983, but NOT to the 1950 one listed but the hat is a 1940-1945 style St Louis Browns:

Did the Orioles ever do a Turn Back the Clock style using St Louis Browns?

The wool looks right for the age - including 'rust' type spots that I have seen on vintage wool jerseys but not on newer wool caps. Also, the piping down the crown seams isn't perfectly centered and the vent grommets aren't perfectly stitched like you see in newer and throwback style caps.

Thoughts???

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyman77 View Post
    Rob........maybe someone will put together a comprehensive guide to cap collecting and include all of the other manufacturers of caps like Rawlings, Spaulding, Tim McAuliffe, KM Pro, Wilson, Devon, Sports Specialties,, etc. The hobby really needs it as it would provide history and knowledge to those who have caps or want to start collecting them.

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net
    Walt -

I had mentioned in a previous thread sometime back that research has shown (and New Era mentions it in the timeline on their site) that they actually made most ALL of th ehats and were doing Private Labeling for Wilson, McAullife, etc.

I am actually trying to get time to sit down with an usher from Coors Field that I know - Herb Shankman. Herb was a Minor League pitcher with the Boston Braves organization and knew Spahn and Sain and at Rockies Fest we got to talking and he personally knew Tim McAuliffe and said he would sit down with me so I could pick his brain and record his 'oral history' of what he remembers about McAuliffe and KM Pro and such...

I hope this materializes! Not just for the info, but Herb also said he still has his minor league pants that were handed down to him - one pair was Alvin Darks and one pair was Warren Spahns - and that he has Johnny Sain's 1948 Boston Braves jersey!!!

If I get to see it all, I will be photographing the hell out it!!!

All the best -

Smitty

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Does anyone know WHEN New Era started making 'Cooperstown Collection' or 'Throwback' hats?

Smitty:

One possible explanation:

In 1964, the Cardinals held a 20th Anniversary Old-Timers Game feturing players, and retro uniforms, of the 1944 World Series opponents...the Cardinals and the St. Louis Browns. Being a 1940-45 style uniforms, maybe the cap was made for that...?

Dave Miedema

This might throw a monkey wrench into the works, but I just picked up a New Era with tagging that matches on the chart to the PRE 1983, but NOT to the 1950 one listed but the hat is a 1940-1945 style St Louis Browns:

Did the Orioles ever do a Turn Back the Clock style using St Louis Browns?

The wool looks right for the age - including 'rust' type spots that I have seen on vintage wool jerseys but not on newer wool caps. Also, the piping down the crown seams isn't perfectly centered and the vent grommets aren't perfectly stitched like you see in newer and throwback style caps.

Thoughts???

All the best -

Smitty
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    !!
    Dave -

!! exactly! I have been scouring the web and I can find remakes of the 1908 Browns (the 'flor d lis design) and the later Browns, but apparently, no one evr made a remake of this style which was worn during their WS year.

The hat came out of a baseball display in an estate in Louisville, KY.

I'm thinking I might have a legit deal here... thoughts?

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dave -

!! exactly! I have been scouring the web and I can find remakes of the 1908 Browns (the 'flor d lis design) and the later Browns, but apparently, no one evr made a remake of this style which was worn during their WS year.

The hat came out of a baseball display in an estate in Louisville, KY.

I'm thinking I might have a legit deal here... thoughts?

- Smitty
    Dave -

I just saw your other comments - they were in the BLUE inside my quote that you copied...

Even if it's a 1964 'throwback', I'm quite happy with it...

especially for the price!

- Smitty

I have gathered that New Era always made reproductions (throwbacks). I have a New Era 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers cap that was made in the 1960s for and old timers game. I have a 1969 San Diego Padres cap made in 1984, and a number of other remakes made before they got rid of there old cap machines in the late 80s. Just let me know if anyone wants to see pictures.

I was wondering who was gonna get that "Browns" cap on eBay, I came very close to buying it many times but others were a priority. Glad to see it's going to a good home!

I have been studying the tags religiously for the past couple of weeks, this is what I have from the early days until 1996. I have checked and re-checked these tags to make sure the years are correct, except for the early years which may be impossible to find out. If anyone has anything to ad, please contact me. I am working on 1997 to present (it will include the taping), give me a couple of weeks at the most for those.

Actually, the Diamond Collection label started appearing on NEW ERA caps in 1986 and not 1988.....this can be verified by going to "New Era Timeline" and seeing what happened within the company in the 1980's. Also please note that the MLB logo on the backs of New Era caps first appeared in the 1992 season. This further assists in helping someone pinpoint a date for caps with certain labeling and styles. .

-Walt

Tallyman77