Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    So if I encounter a hat purported to be from 2002 and it has what you picture as the 2005 Company Tag (without made in the usa) and the Taping is the white background as shown, then I should be confident the hat can only be a 2005?
    Sorry I did some quick research to get more samples. Thats one of the hard parts of keeping to my methodology (from first post, "i try to get exemplars of player hats of players who have played for a specific team for 2 or less seasons so that the taggging can be pinpointed for a specific year"). I think its too rigid and some great examples of player for have been with a team over two years were not taken into consideration. Adding these to the samples and also looking at the chronology history provided by New Era's website I have changed my position on these two periods

2001-2002 Made in USA
    2003-2005 Globalization

New era opened other manufacturing places in 2003 and it makes sense using the additional examples and the history provided in website.

The error of extending the tag of the made in USA to 2004 was due to an exemplar with excellent provenance that most likely used old invertory.

There is an example of 2002 hat that had the Global Tag that was from the World Series so possibly the Global tag (without the made in USA tag)was introduced late 2002 but just haven't had time to valid it.

For me, it been awhile looking at hats, checking to see whether the primer holds true and sometime getting away and revisiting allows perception to be removed and/or refreshed.

If you have a example that does not fit the primer please post or email me.

rdeversole, please email me or post here. i did additional research because you are a long time member and wanted to make sure you did not pass an opportunity just because of the primer.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Email sent - thanks!
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I've noticed that sometimes changes on the tags happen late in the season. And the case with hiramman and the Braves caps, they are surely leftover team stock that was issued to those players for the season. It happens. I have a bunch of 2012 MiLB caps that have the older tags.

I just saw some 2013 Postseason Oakland A's caps had 2010-11 tags on them for sale at a local store. They were leftover factory stock that simply had the patches applied so that New Era could get the order filled faster. I wish I'd taken a picture. I wonder if the team issued caps are the same. Anyone get any from the recent MLB auctions?

Perhaps the primer should mention that the 2009 though 2011 Stars N' Stripes caps had white tags and sweatbands. Maybe just a note? They're the same tags, just white. Also, a note for 2013 tags; all 2013 caps that were made in China (the new BP/Spring Training caps, certain Turn Back The Clock caps) lack the "OFFICIAL ON-FIELD CAP" text underneath the Authentic Collection logo. I'll take some pictures when time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac186 View Post
    I've noticed that sometimes changes on the tags happen late in the season. And the case with hiramman and the Braves caps, they are surely leftover team stock that was issued to those players for the season. It happens. I have a bunch of 2012 MiLB caps that have the older tags.

Perhaps the primer should mention that the 2009 though 2011 Stars N' Stripes caps had white tags and sweatbands. Maybe just a note? They're the same tags, just white. Also, a note for 2013 tags; all 2013 caps that were made in China (the new BP/Spring Training caps, certain Turn Back The Clock caps) lack the "OFFICIAL ON-FIELD CAP" text underneath the Authentic Collection logo. I'll take some pictures when time allows.

MILB hats have different tags so its not included in the findings.

from the original post: "this covers regular hats and not bp or and not special hats. adding bp hats to the research really confused the situation so i discounted them in my search"
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Updated. See first post for earlier tags
    I got a 2014 BP cap from a Phillies coach a couple of weeks ago, and the tagging has only 1 difference from the 2012-13 version, that being the absence of the "OFFICIAL ON-FIELD CAP" line under the MLB logo.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Talking Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

I received a team-issued 2014 4th of July cap from a White Sox coach today. Like the Phillies BP cap, it, too, lacks the "Official On-Field Cap" on the MLB logo tag.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Question Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Bob,

One of the most helpful things would be if you had already a column for the date that you bought the item or the date that each cap came into your collection and how you you obtain it. Hopefully that is something that you kept track of.
    Joel:

Can you please send me any photos you have of pre-1970 Spaldding CAP tags? Or print them here? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Dave Miedema
    sox83cubs84@hotmail.com

Banned

I picked up a Dave Clark Tigers TBTC cap from a 2015 game via MLB Auctions. It appears that the tag designs have gone back to wht ws used in the 2012-13 time frame. (See post #68 from Joel S.)

Dave Miedema

Banned

Referring again to post #68 photos, I compared the White Sox 2016 Mother's Day cap tagging on the Mark Salas lid I just received to the 2012-13 tag photos. The MLB and size tags are the same, but the New Era tag has no print beneath the company logo.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Referring again to post #68 photos, I compared the White Sox 2016 Mother's Day cap tagging on the Mark Salas lid I just received to the 2012-13 tag photos. The MLB and size tags are the same, but the New Era tag has no print beneath the company logo.

Dave Miedema
    The Twins GU cap I received from Eddie Guardado yesterday is tagged in identical fashion to the Salas lid.

Dave M.