Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Banned

Question Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac186 View Post
    Dave, upon further research it appears that those MLB tags started showing up in 1982, since I saw an authenticated game used 1982 World Series cap with the MLB tag. I haven't seen anything that is from 1981 "for sure" that has the MLB tag, but I suppose it's possible. I believe it was 1982 when Sports Specialties joined the on-field MLB cap market and made themselves the first MLB "licensee", then New Era and Roman Pro quickly followed suit.
    I ran across another 1981 cap with the MLB tag present. Since my PC won't post eBay photos onto this site, I direct you to eBay item 152850905287 currently open for bids. The cap is a style last used in 1981, and is a common player (Bob Molinaro) that looks to be game used from the photos. Can you, Tallyman, or any other contributors to this thread check this out and post your thoughts (and maybe post the appropriate photos, also?) Thanks.

Also, the item is misdated by the seller as 1976.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Exclamation 2017 Brewers cap

I just got in a 2017 common player's Brewers cap. It is the same in tagging design as the Mark Salas White Sox cap I reference a few posts earlier. Compared to the 2012-13 label (the most recent I can find pictured in this thread), the tag, like 2016's, has no print under the New Era logo.

Dave M.

Ebay Bob Molinaro cap

Dave.....please double check that Ebay item # or give me the seller.........I am not pulling that cap up.

Thanks,

-Walt

Tallyman77

Banned
    That was a few months ago, Walt...I have no means of finding it again, either.

Dave M.

Ebay Bob Molinaro cap

Sorry about that Dave.........I didn't even check the date on that post.

-Walt

Tallyman77

Hi everyone,

I revised my edition of the New Era Cap Tagging Primer on my blog. It took a lot of detective work and I viewed many game used and team issued examples confirmed to be from the time period I was researching. If you have anything to add on any criticism, it's welcomed so please let me know. However, if you believe something is wrong please include factual evidence and photos if possible.

A New Era tagging primer will likely never be 100% correct. Phased-out tagging can appear in later years, sometimes up to four years after being phased out. This is due to what each team has in stock for player use and how frequently each size cap is issued to players. New Era themselves are also known to hoard a certain percent of their own stock for up to a couple of years at a time and send it out to teams and retail stores as needed. This is why we sometimes see postseason caps with older tagging. New Era pulls it from their own stash and slaps patches on them before sending them out. I tried to seek out caps that I knew for a fact were actually manufactured during each season.

Enjoy! https://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/201...-cap-tags.html

Banned
    Very nicely done.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Very nicely done.

Dave Miedema
    Thank you very much!