Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hybrid View

Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dave -

!! exactly! I have been scouring the web and I can find remakes of the 1908 Browns (the 'flor d lis design) and the later Browns, but apparently, no one evr made a remake of this style which was worn during their WS year.

The hat came out of a baseball display in an estate in Louisville, KY.

I'm thinking I might have a legit deal here... thoughts?

- Smitty
    Dave -

I just saw your other comments - they were in the BLUE inside my quote that you copied...

Even if it's a 1964 'throwback', I'm quite happy with it...

especially for the price!

- Smitty

Actually, the Diamond Collection label started appearing on NEW ERA caps in 1986 and not 1988.....this can be verified by going to "New Era Timeline" and seeing what happened within the company in the 1980's. Also please note that the MLB logo on the backs of New Era caps first appeared in the 1992 season. This further assists in helping someone pinpoint a date for caps with certain labeling and styles. .

-Walt

Tallyman77

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyman77 View Post
    Actually, the Diamond Collection label started appearing on NEW ERA caps in 1986 and not 1988.....this can be verified by going to "New Era Timeline" and seeing what happened within the company in the 1980's. Also please note that the MLB logo on the backs of New Era caps first appeared in the 1992 season. This further assists in helping someone pinpoint a date for caps with certain labeling and styles. .

-Walt

Tallyman77
    Hey Walt,

Can you email me at loefflerrd@cox.net?

I can't find your email address.

Thanks,
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Rob......nice pickup on the Coane Dodger cap. They don't come around too often. It looks like it has a number under the bill too. Way to go!

-Walt

Tallyman77

Evergreen7777@att.net

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1983 to 2009 New Era Hat Tagging Primer

Here' a thought for the capresearchers: the label designs on New Era 39/30 BP caps. The earlier BP caps (pre-2003) were also 59/50s (Like the gamers) and used he same tags as the game versions. Beginning in 2003 the labels were printed directly on the sweat band, and trying to determine if and when changes were made in the designs would be a plus. I have a few obtained directly from players, but can't post them. Anyone else want to dig into this?

Dave Miedema

Hi everyone,

I revised my edition of the New Era Cap Tagging Primer on my blog. It took a lot of detective work and I viewed many game used and team issued examples confirmed to be from the time period I was researching. If you have anything to add on any criticism, it's welcomed so please let me know. However, if you believe something is wrong please include factual evidence and photos if possible.

A New Era tagging primer will likely never be 100% correct. Phased-out tagging can appear in later years, sometimes up to four years after being phased out. This is due to what each team has in stock for player use and how frequently each size cap is issued to players. New Era themselves are also known to hoard a certain percent of their own stock for up to a couple of years at a time and send it out to teams and retail stores as needed. This is why we sometimes see postseason caps with older tagging. New Era pulls it from their own stash and slaps patches on them before sending them out. I tried to seek out caps that I knew for a fact were actually manufactured during each season.

Enjoy! https://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/201...-cap-tags.html

Banned
    Very nicely done.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Very nicely done.

Dave Miedema
    Thank you very much!