Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Personal appeal of Game Issued items

Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan34 View Post
    If it makes you happy and you think you'd like it in your collection, go for it, don't worry about what the rest of us think
    That is the best answer. You have to buy what you like and enjoy. Not everyone can afford big $$$ for a game used jersey and a game issued jersey is the next best thing. I would be and am happy with either or. It is just a matter of preference.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    A few of you guys say this so I am curious how do you find GI jerseys that fit? Most athletes are much larger than the average person so I would think a GI jersey would be too big on most people.

legaleagle..... try hitting the weight room every once in awhile
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Being a seller in addition to being a collector, I can say that there are quite a few collectors who like game-issued jerseys for a variety of reasons, mainly price and because they are looking for a jersey to wear. From a size standpoint, I can state that a number of collectors must be larger than many of the athletes as I get requests for the larger sizes from many of the guys who are looking to wear jerseys (much more so than smaller sizes). Good luck trying to sell a size 44 or even a 46 to many collectors who like to wear their jerseys. With football jerseys now being skin-tight and designed to fit snugly over the shoulder pads, even thin guys like me would be hard-pressed to find jerseys that fit.

There is a market for team-issued jerseys as I never seem to have too much trouble selling them whenever I put one up for sale. While most of us in this Forum tend to be hardcore game-used collectors, a lot of folks are just looking for a crisp jersey to display on their wall or else wear while cheering for their favorite team.

Keep in mind that 99.999999% of the people on this planet probably think that collecting sports uniforms worn by sweaty guys is a complete waste of money and downright insane. I kind of tend to agree, but I just can't help myself as I find collecting this stuff to be a whole lot of fun!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment. Will trade NFL durene jerseys for WFL jerseys!!!

Good points Mark. I guess if I am going to pay the same price for a GI or GU, I might as well wait for a GU.

Plus there is no way they are to be worn by me so thats another strike.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Klattsy View Post
    Good points Mark. I guess if I am going to pay the same price for a GI or GU, I might as well wait for a GU.

Plus there is no way they are to be worn by me so thats another strike.

Mark.
    While I agree with those who say you should collect what you want and not be concerned with what other people think, I am glad your thinking has moved in this direction.

A couple years ago I was visiting with my sister (definitely NOT a sports fan.) I was telling her about a genuine Mickey Lolich flannel with number on sleeve and NOB that was at auction. I was thinking about bidding $2500 or so, but told her it would sell for much more, which it did.

Anyway, her comment was, why don't I buy a high-quality replica for a couple hundred dollars and be $2,300 ahead. To her, that was the obvious thing to do.

My reply was to take a notepad and write "George Washington" on the page. Then I said, "Okay what's more significant, this signature I've just written, that has no connection to Washington, or an authentic autograph that he himself wrote?"

Then she understood. My point is, the only thing that makes a jersey or bat significant (in my mind) is the connection to the player. Without that, it's a glorified retail item, as a previous poster said so well.

I bought a game issued jersey of my favorite player for a few reasons
    1) I've only seen his jersey offered twice... the game worn one went for over $1000.. this was a quarter of the cost
    2) It was supposed to be his first game ever in the NBA (although it was preseason...he ended up not playing)
    3) I just wanted to have my favorite team hanging on the wall. Although it isn't worn.. I like having it hung knowing it came from the team

Also, unless you obtain the jersey yourself... I've found that the big name sellers of game used stuff usually wash the jerseys... To me, that's like buying a game issued... Sure it was worn, but as crazy as it sounds, I like having their sweat and whatnot in it...

As someone else pointed out though.. it's all about personal preference. My friends laugh at me when I tell them I want a game used head band or jersey...