Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Are the Rockies Cheaters?

Quote Originally Posted by skier14 View Post
    True, it is not one person, but it isn't the players and the manager. It would be the umpires assistant, clubhouse manager, batboys etc.

But it still is not the players cheating or knowing about it.
    It would be naive to think the players don't know about it. I especially think the pitching staff is away of what one feels like in case one stays in the umpires pouch until the bottom half of the inning and they get it. Otherwise it would almost negate the advantage.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

They aren't cheaters from an "in-game" sense, it just sucks to be a pitcher at Coors because then each team's hitters have that advantage. From a season sense though, and if it is indeed true (although, if Jon Miller brought it up I'm not listening) then the stats do need to be considered for a title vote whether it's MVP, ROY, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    They aren't cheaters from an "in-game" sense, it just sucks to be a pitcher at Coors because then each team's hitters have that advantage. From a season sense though, and if it is indeed true (although, if Jon Miller brought it up I'm not listening) then the stats do need to be considered for a title vote whether it's MVP, ROY, etc.
    This has been brough up before and there are several here who will jump all over these posts claiming that they are bunk. Frankly..the numbers don't lie.

First off, I never heard anything about this. Would ESPN ever broadcast such an accusation? Also (This might be a dumb question), but can someone explain "the humidor" to me?

I'm not denying this claim, all I'm saying is that according to this the hitters have the edge while playing at Coors.

Justin, here's a complete rundown:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...es-juicedballs

Jon Miller didn't break the story. It was first reported in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Tim Lincecum brought it to the attention of the Giants, who took the matter to the commissioner's office. The commissioner's office instructed he umpiring crews to monitor the Coors game balls more closely.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

So how is this CarGo's fault? Should he inspect the baseballs? as a team much benefit has not gone to the rox as they are going to likely finish in 3rd place in their division. CarGo has not exactely been setting homer records if my math is correct he has hit only two or three dingers all month. And oh another theory as to their late game success: Being above sea level my start to take its toll as the game goes on to other teams that are not as used to it as the Rockies. To the best of my knowledge no other team plays at such an altitude in mlb. The Phils alledegly stole signs a few years back, and noone took away Howard or Rollins' MVP or their WS title.

I don't think anyone is blaming Carlos Gonzalez, it's just that when it comes time to give out accolades; something like this should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Justin, here's a complete rundown:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...es-juicedballs

Jon Miller didn't break the story. It was first reported in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Tim Lincecum brought it to the attention of the Giants, who took the matter to the commissioner's office. The commissioner's office instructed he umpiring crews to monitor the Coors game balls more closely.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    I actually think Jon Miller did break the story in a radio interview back in July.

Quote Originally Posted by skier14 View Post
    I actually think Jon Miller did break the story in a radio interview back in July.
    If that's true I stand corrected. I assumed it had only occurred over the last few days (assuming it occurred at all).

If it can be proven there has been a premeditated and methodical attempt to undermine the legitimate outcome of these games, I would hope the commissioner's office takes significant punitive action.

You can argue that this did or did not help the Rockies (again, assuming it even occurred) but that's not the point. The same argument can be made about PEDs. I see no possible defense for secretly substituting the equipment used by your opponent -- over a period of MONTHS -- for the purpose of placing them at a disadvantage.

IMO, if this truly occurred, and has been going on for who knows how long, it calls into question the offensive numbers for the Rockies hitters, the numbers for their pitchers, and the wins total for the team.

If any of this is true, I think we're in Black Sox territory here (cheating to win, not lose, but same order of magnitude). Say it ain't so Troy.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com