Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

signing game used jerseys

I purchased a game used jersey and wanted to get it signed. I was told that serious collectors feel that the signing of the jersey is not desirable. Could someone give me some feed back on this. I thought the player signing the jersey would add some value to it. Thanks, Mike

Banned

Re: signing game used jerseys

Hello Mike,

This discussion has been discussed many times before I would suggest for you to do a serch on this forum and you can get a better idea of how the majortiy of the members feel about it.

Personally I like to get some of mine autographed to me it does add value, The jerseys I dont like to get autographed if it has major significance to it, such as breaking a record while wearig it or something of that nature. If it is just a plain season Jersey then I think adding the Auto is nice.

Please do remember it is usually more appealing to collectors when the Autograph is done neatly and a decent size not to big where it draws atention away from the actual Jersey.

Mike,

Some collectors like it/prefer it, some can't stand it, some insist on it. As long as it doesn't bleed, I'm all for it, but the point is that it varies quite a bit. Then there was Barry Halper who needed his jerseys signed on the inside under the neck collar, which I always thought was darn weird. Good luck.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Mike,
    I am all for getting game used items signed and personally prefer them signed. That is provided a few conditions. The signature has to be in a good place. It also has the be clear, bright and permanent. (most likely you have to pay the player via an autograph signing to get what you want) If signed poorly the item has less appeal to me. I have attached a pic of the back of my Miguel Cabrera 2003 World Series Jersey which I think came out pretty well.

rob

Name:  cabreraback.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  127.7 KB

I can sum the hobby up like this (and this goes multiple times over for hockey collectors, who are notoriously finicky for this).

If you have a gamer signed, you alienate scores more potential buyers/bidders than the added signature could attract.

The few jerseys I own are signed on the inner tail. I wouldn't purchse a signed game used jersey if it was in any other location.

Thanks for all the replies, this jersey is Rod Brind'amour's rookie jersey,I'm glad I asked before I did anything. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    I can sum the hobby up like this (and this goes multiple times over for hockey collectors, who are notoriously finicky for this).

If you have a gamer signed, you alienate scores more potential buyers/bidders than the added signature could attract.
    Nathan,

Do you think so? That may be. I have perceived things differently. I know a lot of collectors who will not buy a jersey if it is not already autographed because they don't want to go to the trouble of getting it signed themselves (if it is even possible to get it signed). One thing is certain - collectors do vary quite a bit in their preferences.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I too would have gone the same way as Reid. I would think that in many cases the added autograph would attract more potential buyers than it would alienate. It does go to show that people have various opinions on autographs on game used items.

Brett

I prefer unsigned. It almost seems it's more rare to find them unsigned. Especially with MLB auctions, in most cases you can only get the game jerseys signed.....I just don't think fabric is a good surface for autographs. Just way too many varibles on signed gamers. How does the sig look, is it going to bleed or fade, is it in a bad spot, is it broken, is it thin and wispy. I think a game used jersey is special enough and it doesn't need anything else........