Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: Will ecconomy affect hobby?

In a quick review this morning it is VERY APPARENT that the economy is making a huge impact on selling prices of GU stuff anyway. Just as an example, I was torn last night to bid or not on a Kingman Oakland A's jacket. The fact I have one was the deciding point in not bidding on another - even though it was a different color and style. At $165 final on a player-provenance jacket, somebody got one hell of a deal and I could hazard a guess who that would be. I'll second guess that non-bidding participation by me til the cows come home. Fact is, stuff just is not moving, and it is very evident.

Like Panth stated, Mac stuff isn't moving because those that bought purchased when he was on top and paid high so they have to sell high. I still collect his stuff but have narrowed the collection. I'm not doing cleats anymore so I just sold a pair of Mac double signed cleats, heavy use with MAC in huge black marker under each tongue. I sold them and had trouble getting my $500 asking fee, but I was a Mac fan long before stardom, back when he was hitting 9 HRS a year in injury plagued seasons, so no, I did not take a hit, but could have done much better if I'd sold in the late 90's.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• skyking26
      • Dec 2005

It's been months since this thread was revived...

I can say without I doubt, I see the economy NOT EFFECTING the hobby from dollars spent at all!!!

Just since the holidays, I've seen scrub Tigers DH mid 80's Barbaro Garbey bats fetch $242 and $366 respectively. Nobody outside Detroit knows or cares. I bid on a Dunn jersey today, his jerseys never supercede $400-450. $550 was the price today.

I also see people reluctant to absorb much loss, which tells me they are not desperate to start unloading the closets just yet. So, don't listen to all the nay-sayers out there trumpeting stories of non-prosperity in desperate times because from my vantage point......I'm not seeing it!!
      ROBERT KOPPEL
      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• cohibasmoker
        Banned
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by cjclong
        Do any of you see the current economic situation starting to affect either your decision to make purchases or the price realized from sales?
        Absolutely NOT. Obama is on the job and all will be repaired. He will be unveiling his new Trillion dollar spending plan and as he has said, "we are going to spend our way out of this economic mess".

Jim

Comment

• sylbry
          • Nov 2005

For what it's worth, two jerseys I sold this summer on ebay re-appeared on ebay in the past month. The first one sold for half of what I sold it for while the second one sold for two-thirds.
          Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• Chris78
            • Nov 2007

I have "hope" and "confidence" that the economy will be fixed in 6 months. President Obama promised with spending hundreds of millions of dollars that "change" is going to happen. Circuit City will realize that they can make it, as will KB Toys, and we will see the return of some of my favorite stores when I was a child such as Kiddie City and Clover.

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sylbry
              For what it's worth, two jerseys I sold this summer on ebay re-appeared on ebay in the past month. The first one sold for half of what I sold it for while the second one sold for two-thirds.
              I'm glad someone is getting the deals; I certainly am not. For that matter - if I am offered a bat direct it is at double or more what it's current market value should be...

I failed to mention 2 bats that just went on ebay the other night. I was on each, a Northrup and Gates Brown. Combined they went for over $900. Now tell me there is a recession? Apparently the new owners of these items have not heard about it yet nor felt the effects.
              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                • Aug 2007

Like anything in this world it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe it was the player themselves buying it, maybe a family member, maybe someone photo matched the bat to a home run or game winning hit. Maybe it was the last bat's they needed the point is price something is not reflective of what something worth, it's reflective of what two parties are willing to exchange it for.

Comment

• skyking26
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 1986&2004Bosox
                  Like anything in this world it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe it was the player themselves buying it, maybe a family member, maybe someone photo matched the bat to a home run or game winning hit. Maybe it was the last bat's they needed the point is price something is not reflective of what something worth, it's reflective of what two parties are willing to exchange it for.
                  R E A L L Y
                  ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• kingjammy24
                    • Nov 2005

Re: Will economy affect hobby?

i found this 1931 photo of babe ruth. 1931 being the height of the supposed "great depression". babe seems to be wearing a sensual fur coat and silky socks. pretty damning evidence that there was no "great depression".

rudy.

Comment

• skyking26
                      • Dec 2005

I guess it is the old saying Rudy, people find money whatever the circumstance...
                      ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• spartakid
                        • Oct 2008

Well, I don't think that fiscally speaking, Babe Ruth is an accurate example of the average American at the time of the Great Depression.
                        Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                          i found this 1931 photo of babe ruth. 1931 being the height of the supposed "great depression". babe seems to be wearing a sensual fur coat and silky socks. pretty damning evidence that there was no "great depression".

rudy.
                          that fur coat is in that sports museum in los angeles.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• grenda12
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 3arod13
                            If I really want it, I'm getting it. However, I find myself being a little more selective in what I get.
                            Im doing the same thing.

Comment

• sylbry
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kingjammy24

rudy.
                              On a related note, when the Depression was really hitting America hard Babe was holding out asking for $80,000 a season. He was offered $75,000 but wouldn't take it. A story goes a sportswriter came up to him and, in effect started chewing him out for holding out for so much money while the country is in a Depression and people are out of jobs and waiting in line for bare necessities such as food. Babe's response was, "no one told me." He signed for $75,000 the next day.
                              Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chris78
                                I have "hope" and "confidence" that the economy will be fixed in 6 months. President Obama promised with spending hundreds of millions of dollars that "change" is going to happen. Circuit City will realize that they can make it, as will KB Toys, and we will see the return of some of my favorite stores when I was a child such as Kiddie City and Clover.
                                Someone have Chris's home number?

We need to call and have his mother wake him up.

On a more serious note, I'm praying right along with you, Chris, but I don't see it. I work in high rises in Los Angeles, and all I am seeing is midnight move-outs. It's bad. Any and every company in Financials or sales are dropping off the face of the earth at an alarming rate.

The economy is effecting everything....our hobby included. The guys (& gals) here who have posted that they are being "more selective"....have hit the nail on the head. Something's got to give, and it's the volume of what we all want. We simply have to cut back and just go after those highly desired "I can't live without it" items.

That is why you are seeing most of the second and third tier items in the major auctions going for chump change with two or three bids....IMO.

Steve

Comment

Working...