Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Will ecconomy affect hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
    For what it's worth, two jerseys I sold this summer on ebay re-appeared on ebay in the past month. The first one sold for half of what I sold it for while the second one sold for two-thirds.
    I'm glad someone is getting the deals; I certainly am not. For that matter - if I am offered a bat direct it is at double or more what it's current market value should be...

I failed to mention 2 bats that just went on ebay the other night. I was on each, a Northrup and Gates Brown. Combined they went for over $900. Now tell me there is a recession? Apparently the new owners of these items have not heard about it yet nor felt the effects.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Like anything in this world it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe it was the player themselves buying it, maybe a family member, maybe someone photo matched the bat to a home run or game winning hit. Maybe it was the last bat's they needed the point is price something is not reflective of what something worth, it's reflective of what two parties are willing to exchange it for.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986&2004Bosox View Post
    Like anything in this world it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe it was the player themselves buying it, maybe a family member, maybe someone photo matched the bat to a home run or game winning hit. Maybe it was the last bat's they needed the point is price something is not reflective of what something worth, it's reflective of what two parties are willing to exchange it for.
    R E A L L Y
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Re: Will economy affect hobby?

i found this 1931 photo of babe ruth. 1931 being the height of the supposed "great depression". babe seems to be wearing a sensual fur coat and silky socks. pretty damning evidence that there was no "great depression".

rudy.

I guess it is the old saying Rudy, people find money whatever the circumstance...
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Well, I don't think that fiscally speaking, Babe Ruth is an accurate example of the average American at the time of the Great Depression.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    i found this 1931 photo of babe ruth. 1931 being the height of the supposed "great depression". babe seems to be wearing a sensual fur coat and silky socks. pretty damning evidence that there was no "great depression".

rudy.
    that fur coat is in that sports museum in los angeles.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    If I really want it, I'm getting it. However, I find myself being a little more selective in what I get.
    Im doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

rudy.
    On a related note, when the Depression was really hitting America hard Babe was holding out asking for $80,000 a season. He was offered $75,000 but wouldn't take it. A story goes a sportswriter came up to him and, in effect started chewing him out for holding out for so much money while the country is in a Depression and people are out of jobs and waiting in line for bare necessities such as food. Babe's response was, "no one told me." He signed for $75,000 the next day.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    I have "hope" and "confidence" that the economy will be fixed in 6 months. President Obama promised with spending hundreds of millions of dollars that "change" is going to happen. Circuit City will realize that they can make it, as will KB Toys, and we will see the return of some of my favorite stores when I was a child such as Kiddie City and Clover.
    Someone have Chris's home number?

We need to call and have his mother wake him up.

On a more serious note, I'm praying right along with you, Chris, but I don't see it. I work in high rises in Los Angeles, and all I am seeing is midnight move-outs. It's bad. Any and every company in Financials or sales are dropping off the face of the earth at an alarming rate.

The economy is effecting everything....our hobby included. The guys (& gals) here who have posted that they are being "more selective"....have hit the nail on the head. Something's got to give, and it's the volume of what we all want. We simply have to cut back and just go after those highly desired "I can't live without it" items.

That is why you are seeing most of the second and third tier items in the major auctions going for chump change with two or three bids....IMO.

Steve