Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Will ecconomy affect hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
    For what it's worth, two jerseys I sold this summer on ebay re-appeared on ebay in the past month. The first one sold for half of what I sold it for while the second one sold for two-thirds.
    Case in point, right here folks.

Lightbulb Re: Will ecconomy affect hobby?

I agree... "something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it." There might the odd exception to this rule but for the most part it holds true regardless of the economic climate.

Roger

Someone basically mentioned this earlier.... Some collectors are already established financially, and are less affected by this recession. Other collectors have lost their jobs and are barely paying the bills. When you look at the whole ball of wax, of course the hobby is taking a hit. It boils down to who is collecting what. Obviously, at least two or more collectors with money are looking to purchase scarce Tigers bats. I have to believe that the average collector who is worried about his job and finances is bidding less on items he is casually interested in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

My two cents for what it's worth...

While the value of an item is only what someone is willing to pay for it, I do think this "recession" is affecting the hobby. Within the past month I've managed to acquire two items that I never imagined obtaining, however, do to the economy the sellers had to make sacrifices and sold items that they were planning on keeping for themselves.

Banned

The sports memorabilia field is a HOBBY. We do not need sports memorabilia to survive. We need food to eat and shoes on our feet. But, those who were reckless in their purchases of sports memorabilia were probably reckless in their personal finances so yes, there will be an effect on the sports memorabilia field.

For the past eight years, people were buying homes and re-financing homes at a record pace. The Nasdaq, which is based on the development of and sales of electronic items, was through the roof - computers, i-phones, x-boxes, and big-screen TV's. You name it, people bought it. People bought new cars and were taking cruises twice a year. Disneyland posted record profits. Credit cards were issued like candy and at a record pace. Most everyone took one, two or more, and maxed them all out within Months.

Well guess what? It pay back time. Blame who you want but ultimately, it comes down to us - the individual. People are going to have to live within their means and if it comes down to a jersey or a pair of shoes for their kids, hopefully the kids will get new shoes.

Jim