Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Babe Ruth Bats

Re: Babe Ruth Bats

Nesportspromotions,

Please be sure when you ask the entire forum for help that you just ask for the self-titled experts.

I apologize that I tried to assist you. I thought a picture from a well know auction house would be of help to you.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by worldchamps
    Nesportspromotions,

Please be sure when you ask the entire forum for help that you just ask for the self-titled experts.

I apologize that I tried to assist you. I thought a picture from a well know auction house would be of help to you.

Bill
    I think those pictures are great and are very helpful. Big steer in the right direction in my opinion. I appreciate you sharing what you found.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Neither one of these is a gamer. The first one only has Louisville in the top part of the centerbrand, and Kentucky in the lower portion. The 125 is of a different font than those from Ruth's days. These markings are not consistent with gamers from that era. The second one was produced post-1960. The font, size, and placement of the 125 in the centerbrand is consistent with the post-1960 era bats. The stamping itself on both bats is also consistent with the post-1960's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

........and yes, this is my area of "expertise." Let me know if anyone wants a "Rudy-style" presentation of explanatory photos and I can see what I can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

NESports,

Joel gives some great advice on going directly to experts who have strong acumen in the area of Babe Ruth bats. I did check the MEARS website as I am a member and they do have a photo of a Ruth bat from the 1934-44 era. The bat looks similar to the bat you have in question.

I do agree with some of the posters as this bat looks very fresh and not one that would come from the pre-war days.

Good Luck

Mark

Hi Ya'll,

I agree that these bats are more recent reproductions. The pictures provided by worldchamps are quite pertinent, as they show the oblong O in Co inside the H&B oval that was used by Louisville Slugger before World War II. Take a close look at the O and you will see what I mean. In the 1920's, this O was at least 3/4 the size of the preceding C. Beginning in the 1940's, the font size of the O became increasingly smaller, eventually becoming almost perfectly circular/square. Note that both of the bats in question have an O that is only half the size of the C and shaped like a square...clearly both of these bats are more recent reproductions (probably 1960's or 1970's). There are several other font problems too, but I think that's enough rambling for now.

Also, the info provided by Marcus Sevier is exactly correct...heck, the first bat pictured doesn't even have TRADE MARK REG US PAT OFF stamped below the center oval. At least the 2nd bat has a center brand that is consistent with 1920's H&B game used bats...making it closer to the real thing.

Hope this helps...

Kevin Kasper
    kevinkasper@netzero.com

Hi-

Interesting thread.

First, to the original question, the forum got it right. These bats are not bats that were manufactured for the professional use of Babe ruth during his playing career. The labeling is incorrect for professional model bats in the one case, and inconsistent with the labeling of the period in the other. These bats appear to be a type of commemorative replica bats manufactured well after Ruth's playing career. They are nice bats for the purpose intended, however the value is far below a Ruth game used bat or one manufactured during his playing career.
    Second, this thread has illustrated the strengths and benefits of this forum, and Game Used Universe in general. In a true interactive forum, the ability to immediately receive specific information such as provided in this thread by truly knowledgable people like Marcus and Kevin, and see the results of immediate research as posted by Worldchamps Bill, is invaluable. That is the very specific intent of this website as shown in one of its tag lines : Created By Collectors......For Collectors.

Third, a word about a comment made during this thread. Bill Heagy got it right when he thanked Worldchamps Bill for his immediate research posted early in the discussion, and I think he echoed the sentiments of all of us every time we see someone post photos from their research, photos from their own collections or files or specific, well-thought, reasoned discussion to assist another collector,... Again, that's what GUU is all about, even though thanks are not always stated.

Finally, I had to laugh a bit when I saw the term "self-titled experts" tossed around, which I am going to assume was directed at Jim Caravello and myself. Actually, I can assure you that neither of us has ever called ourselves an expert (I imagine the Experts Corner is just a convenient GUU marketing term) In fact, I think that if you were to re-read some of our posts there are times when we ask for assistance from people who have some deeper knowledge of a specific subject that either Jim or I may have. Speaking for myself, I am just a guy who has been involved with game used bats for over 35 years and who happenes to have access to a significant amount of very specific information that 99% of the people in the hobby do not have access to. On this forum, Jim and I basically try to fill a niche and provide that very detailed and specific information to help collectors make informed decisions. If you look at the other available Forums and Bulliten Boards around that claim to be interactive, see what kind of responses are made to very specific questions -- maybe 2 or 3 lines at best. Where else can you go to ask a simple question about Yaz' or Edd Roush's game used bats and receive a complete detailed response of every model in every labeling period, complete with proper dimensions, that was ever shipped to the player from H & B? I'll tell you where -- nowhere except Game Used Universe.

And you know what? There are numerous members that are doing the same thing, with at least as much information being requested and shared off-forum. I never hesitate to contact Jeff scott on Cardinal questions, Art Jaffe on vintage bats, and Carlie Medina on McGwire stuff. If I had Phillies questions, Howard would be my first contact. Jersey tagging? I'd look to Rudy. Those are just a few off the top of my head, and these are all people I've met on this forum in the last year, apart from other contacts I've made over the past bunch of years.

My point is, I believe that everyone on this particular forum, Game Used Universe, is here for pretty much the same reason -- to gain as much information as possible from other experienced and knowledgable collectors and the Game Used Library section of the site, and, in turn, to offer information that they have obtained to others. It's that simple. Or, put another way, to help each other not get ripped off.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

I didn't mean to offend anyone or start an offensive thread at all. I just wanted a little help with these two bats that the current owner wants to sell me. They are from the Babe's daughter and I thought there was a CHANCE they could be real gamers. It seems to be the two bats I posted pics of are not all that exciting. I’m glad I found out BEFORE I purchased them.

One the board one member added photos of a known GOOD Ruth bat. That was especially helpful to me. Please accept my thanks to EVERYONE for your 2 cents b/c I like to hear MANY opinions from MANY people to make informed purchases. Thanks!

Now another question about H&B bats in general...

When did the production of their bats change to the "modern" method?

(Specifically I mean the ends of the bat. They are now smooth at the end of the barrel and on the bottom of the knob. They don't look like the bat was ever part of a bigger piece of wood now. I'm a bit green in the whole bat thing so I really don't know how to describe what I'm writing about.... Sorry. On older bats it looks like there was a small dowel of wood that was broken off the ends.)

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht

...On this forum, Jim and I basically try to fill a niche and provide that very detailed and specific information to help collectors make informed decisions...

...My point is, I believe that everyone on this particular forum, Game Used Universe, is here for pretty much the same reason -- to gain as much information as possible from other experienced and knowledgable collectors and the Game Used Library section of the site, and, in turn, to offer information that they have obtained to others. It's that simple. Or, put another way, to help each other not get ripped off.
    Excellent reply Mike. In then end, there is not one single person who is all-knowing when it comes to vintage baseball bats (or anything else, for that matter). Your knowledge is certainly very advanced, which I suppose comes from so many years in the bat hobby. To me, your willingness to share that knowledge is worth much more than I ever expected when I first paid for my GUU membership. It's great that we have a place to go when we have a specific question. I also enjoy the opportunity to share my knowledge when possible, even if mine pales in comparison to yours. I'm hoping that we can get even more bat collectors to post their thoughts...as several opinions are generally better than only one or two.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    I am not a vintage bat expert and I have very little experience dealing with such items (and to think I have a bat on consignment with a major auction house right now that is pre-1970s that should fetch over $10,000.00) but I do know one thing:

A guy is thinking about buying some bats for a large amount of money. Any responses about his inquiry should come from people who have bought and sold and researched such an item in the past - Not people sitting around who like to get involved with any and every discussion on this forum. It may hurt the final sale or lack of a final sale because someone is making a view of an item that they have no experience with in the past.

I am going to assume (and you know what they say when you make an assumption) this is not my opinion only.
    It's a good thing we have the "Postings Police" to determine who should and shouldn't post on a given subject. I would think that the person asking for advice can distinguish between bat experts posting on the bats and some forum member just giving an opinion based on the pictures and then make an informed decision based on that input. GEE! Thanks for maintaining the integrity of this forum.
    Paul
    BTW, I am no expert but if I want to post an opinion on something here I will feel free to do so.