Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

The Value of Potential

The other day I posted a thread on a Tim Tebow jersey that got deleted looking back on it the thread did not come off as I intended so I will try again. As many of you have seen JO is selling a Tim Tebow Broncos jersey from the Jaguars game for $10,000. For reference purposes Tebow DID NOT play a single snap in that game and therefore in his career log of games that game is not listed. My question though is what is the value of potential and rookie items when it comes to GU items? And how much of a premium are you willing to pay for that, when it comes to GU items? Does the fact the player did not play in the game affect your decision to invest or not invest in a GU item of a rookie? This thread is not intended to criticize JO in anyway I just found the item and price intriguing. This situation is much different than the Sanchez because at the time he was his team's starting qb and showing potential and Tebow is behind a guy who has been one of the top QBs in the NFL this year and has not started a game. So he is pure potential at this point.

Re: The Value of Potential

If a player plays 10-20 years they will never make another rookie jersey. In todays flooded markets it is truly one of the areas they wont be able to make any more of. So yes i would say there would be a premium of these items.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Td Tebow
    Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    If a player plays 10-20 years they will never make another rookie jersey. In todays flooded markets it is truly one of the areas they wont be able to make any more of. So yes i would say there would be a premium of these items.
    The chances of Tem Tebow being as good as Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. is very unlikely. I personally would never pay that much for a jersey, as I can't afford it, but even if I could I would rather put the money into proven guys like the 3 mentioned above. Look at the people that paid for Strasburg, he may never be as good as expected with the injury, but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    The chances of Tem Tebow being as good as Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, etc. is very unlikely. I personally would never pay that much for a jersey, as I can't afford it, but even if I could I would rather put the money into proven guys like the 3 mentioned above. Look at the people that paid for Strasburg, he may never be as good as expected with the injury, but only time will tell.
    So in other words, you are better waiting 10-20 years to buy the Tim Tebow rookie jersey for $10,000 -- assuming it would be worth that much even if he is as good as a Montana, Elway, Marino, Unitas, Bradshaw, etc.. With the market that we have today (i.e. items are much more available and more rookie jerseys in general), this would be a very stupid purchase.

The one positive thing about purchasing a rookie gamer is the rarity and difficulty of owning an early jersey of the player. Just was talking to Jeff about how we see tons of late Barry Larkin jerseys pop up, yet you never see a rookie jersey or any of his 1980's come about ever. It can be risky spending a premium for an unkown, but you may be getting something that will be extremely difficult to find down the road.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    The one positive thing about purchasing a rookie gamer is the rarity and difficulty of owning an early jersey of the player. Just was talking to Jeff about how we see tons of late Barry Larkin jerseys pop up, yet you never see a rookie jersey or any of his 1980's come about ever. It can be risky spending a premium for an unkown, but you may be getting something that will be extremely difficult to find down the road.
    Yeah but I still have to say thanks for the 1989 Larkin game used pants. I've not seen an early Larkin listed for a long time. The vest jerseys pop up every now and then but not the 86-93 jerseys. Does anyone here have one that they are willing to part with?

Personally I don't know how it can be considered "game used" if he was never on the field for a snap. My question is if the jersey gets sold, does JO tell the buyer that he was never out there for a play and just backed up the whole game.

Wonder if JO will get orange alternate from todays game he scored his first TD in. That one would sell for a mint. Tebow mania is still big. I know any of his rare cards sell for crazy amounts.

I wonder if being good looking has any factor in these jerseys going for so much. Tebow, Sanchez, and Brady are all GQ quality guys, which I would think expands the market to women and you know women love to shop