Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New GUU Registration Process

As some members may have noticed, there have been a number of posts made recently by banned members, registering under new aliases, for the sole purpose of trying to create trouble on the site. Needless to say, the content of these posts show why these people were banned from the site in the first place.

Along those lines, we have also received and saved private emails from these same banned members that are synonymous in content and character to the posts made on the site. I am personally considering posting some of the emails we received with the names of the senders so our members can see the character of the ones who sent them. Further, it has been suggested to me to send the emails we received to the employers of those who sent them so the employers can see the character of their employees for themselves. That is a very interesting thought that might be worth considering.

More importantly, our greater desire is to eliminate these types of posts on the site which we know must be annoying to the rest of the members. As such, we will soon be implementing a new registration system that will require any new registrants to provide detailed contact information which we will verify before they are allowed to post on the site. Although this will require an extra step in the registration process, we think this will help prevent these annoying posts that are intended to disrupt the harmony of the forum.

We will let everyone know when the new registration process is in place (our developers are working on it now) and we look forward to implementing the new process that will require greater accountability for posters.

As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Re: New GUU Registration Process

A very good idea! I would not recommend forwarding info to the employers. Nothing good can come out of that!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    As some members may have noticed, there have been a number of posts made recently by banned members, registering under new aliases, for the sole purpose of trying to create trouble on the site. Needless to say, the content of these posts show why these people were banned from the site in the first place.

Along those lines, we have also received and saved private emails from these same banned members that are synonymous in content and character to the posts made on the site. I am personally considering posting some of the emails we received with the names of the senders so our members can see the character of the ones who sent them. Further, it has been suggested to me to send the emails we received to the employers of those who sent them so the employers can see the character of their employees for themselves. That is a very interesting thought that might be worth considering.

More importantly, our greater desire is to eliminate these types of posts on the site which we know must be annoying to the rest of the members. As such, we will soon be implementing a new registration system that will require any new registrants to provide detailed contact information which we will verify before they are allowed to post on the site. Although this will require an extra step in the registration process, we think this will help prevent these annoying posts that are intended to disrupt the harmony of the forum.

We will let everyone know when the new registration process is in place (our developers are working on it now) and we look forward to implementing the new process that will require greater accountability for posters.

As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Chris.......I am in total agreement with you on the new registration process and I am for anything you have to do to keep the good harmony going in the forum.

-Walt

Evergreen7777@att.net

Great! im tired of seeing "our newest member" being a profain and silly attempt at a slight, some fool(s) have nothing better to do. GO GUU

I think sending thier emails to thier employers is WAY over the line.And i for one would be very dissapointed if this forum lowered themselves to that level.There is no reason for it.People say things on here all the time that they would'nt in "real life".So i have to disagree with you on that.As sending a email to a forum is no way to measure someones charector.I have sent you emails disagreeing with you,does that make me a bad guy just cause i dont like what you did.You can still love the forum and not like what has been done on here towards you.

Ensuring that those who register are actually who they say they are sounds great, and is what a forum administrator ought to do. However, forwarding emails to members' employers seems petty and out of line. While a number of posts by banned members have been obnoxious and rightfully deleted, it is nevertheless the job of forum administrators and moderators to moderate what is posted in a forum, not the employers of individual members.

I think you need to be very careful when considering messing with someone's employment. It is one thing to post such emails here, but when you start messing with someone's livelihood, or the way they make a living and support their families, people can do some really crazy things. Real life things that are much different than the message board world. If you think they have questionable character here, imagine what they might do if you cause them to lose their employment or way of life.

Just something to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB_Authentic View Post
    I think you need to be very careful when considering messing with someone's employment. It is one thing to post such emails here, but when you start messing with someone's livelihood, or the way they make a living and support their families, people can do some really crazy things.
    Hello MLB,

Out of curiousity, what makes you think these people are not trying to mess with my livlihood and others involved with GUU by posting false and slanderous comments? If so, wouldn't contacting their employers be a fair response? Not saying I will do it, just curious as to why you think their actions are any different.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello MLB,

Out of curiousity, what makes you think these people are not trying to mess with my livlihood and others involved with GUU by posting false and slanderous comments? If so, wouldn't contacting their employers be a fair response? Not saying I will do it, just curious as to why you think their actions are any different.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Chris
    I know this question wasn't addressed to me, but if you do that then you are taking yourself down to their level. Right now we all know the posts are BS, but putting yourself on their level only lends some truth to everything they say. You just have to take the high road. A more detailed registration process should solve the problem and end it. You would lose more people and respect by emailing his employers which is far more detrimental to your livelihood than to just move on.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Banned

Arrow Re: New GUU Registration Process

Quote Originally Posted by MLB_Authentic View Post
    I think you need to be very careful when considering messing with someone's employment. It is one thing to post such emails here, but when you start messing with someone's livelihood, or the way they make a living and support their families, people can do some really crazy things. Real life things that are much different than the message board world. If you think they have questionable character here, imagine what they might do if you cause them to lose their employment or way of life.

Just something to ponder.
    I second this, as I had the same chance to get someone in hot water on their job, and was fortunately talked out of it. One mid-1990s Wrigley Ballhawk (not ballhawknet) was going out of his way to create misery for me. He worked for a street construction crew, and was visiting Wrigley on the sly to shag baseballs when he was on the clock. After a day of more verbal abuse from him, I noted the phone number of his company on his parked truck, and wrote it down, with my intent being to call in and turn him in for goldbricking. I mentioned my intent to one of the old-timers on the street (Rich Buhrke), and, fortunately, he yanked me back to normalcy. As it happened, less than a year later, this guy ceased his verbal abuse, and we've gotten along just fine ever since, although he is no longer an active ballhawk.

Work is work...it is not the hobby (or ballhawking).

Dave Miedema