Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: You think the yankees are the front runners in signing cliff lee?

xpress,

Not that he would even return to Philly, but they could of kept Lee and Halladay, but really couldn't. Yes, it sounds oxy-moronic but that really was the case. If they kept Lee than their farm system would of took a huge blow, and they would of had to maybe of traded Jayson Werth before the season started to free up salary because they really could not afford to maintain both pitchers. By moving Lee they replenish their farm system and free up salary. I don't know about you, but going into the 2010 season it would of been near impossible for me to let go of Werth after his 2009 season and not really having a formidable replacement to start the season in RF.

If i had to chose between a rotation that started with Halladay and Lee or Weth in right field I would take Halladay and Lee in a heat beat.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    If i had to chose between a rotation that started with Halladay and Lee or Weth in right field I would take Halladay and Lee in a heat beat.
    Yeah, but the year Werth had in 2009, plus him becoming a huge fan favorite is tough to dispose of. Jayson Werth did not follow up his 2009 season so well, but was still a force and they just don't have an immediate answer if they were to let him go during the 2010 season. I guess they could of went after guys that had previous success, but maybe would consider lower price tags (Ankiel, Dye).The Phillies going into the 2010 season figured they had a solid rotation with Halladay, Hamels, Blanton, and Moyer/Happ/Kendrick. That's a formidable rotation, but unfortunately Blanton and Kendrick had a dreadful year, Moyer and Happ got injured, but pitched effectively when it was their days. Being in the NL East though I would have to take Halladay over Lee considering the lineups they would have to face more often because of the division.

From what I understand, Amaro was told that he can sign Halladay, but has to trade Lee. Halladay is a much better pitcher imo. It would have been nice to have Lee this past season, but that was silmply not going to happen. I have also heard that Lee was offered a deal, and basically was told that if he does not accept, they will trade for Halladay.

I am not so sure that either Werth or Lee will end up in NY. I think there is a small chance both return to Philadelphia, very slim.
    looking for Phillies GU bats

Banned

The reason they got Halladay was because Lee said he was going to test free agency no matter what. Halladay wanted to pitch for a contender and was willing to forgo free agency to do so. Which he did when he signed an extension after the trade. To get Halladay cost them a haul in prospects. To keep both would have been cost prohibitive and they did not want to lose Lee for nothing at the end of the year so they saw the chance to upgrade their stable of prospects and save some money to use on a pitcher who would be there for a longer term which they got in Oswalt, who is signed for 2011. Werth did not have much trade value because some at the time felt 2009 was a fluke, he is over 30 and on a good time is the second or third best guy in a lineup. Plus he does not play a premium defensive position. They also thought at the time possibly that Werth would have not as good a year as 2009 and they would be able to lock him up. Lee had much more value hands down.

What is the state income tax in NY and isnt there a city tax in NYC? In today's climate id think not having a state income tax in texas would allow ther rangers to offer less than the yankees. The rangers just signed a huge tv contract, and have a lot of room under what they project next years salaries to be. They realy dont have to worry about big contracts until 2012. Hamilton,cruz, wilson wont be free agents till after that season. still have andrus through 2014 etc. You could have put the rangers wifes in any section of yankee stadium and id gurarantee the same things would of happened. It wasnt a fluke what happened.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Either way im glad the rangers have lee now. If anything us getting lee over the yankess shows how weak their minor league program is. The yankees gm is probablly the most overrated one in baseball.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    $180 million contract will make her forget real quick. Either they will sign him or make Texas greatly over pay putting a drain on their finances...

Dave
    Dave -

As I said in my earlier diatribe, I personally don't think the money will be the major factor for Lee and his family. I may be wrong and only time will tell.

But, as I also said earlier - not in so many words - I love how everyone here thinks that every player and their families are driven by $$$.

I truly hope and believe that Cliff Lee will prove that to be wrong.

As far as the 'other considerations' in NYC brought up by other posters - CC and AJ and their wives - Lee's wife has already stated she really likes the are and the fact that they can be home in Arkansas by plane in 40 minutes. I guess we'll see if the old adage 'there's no place like home' rings true for the Lee's.

And Lee is playing now for a guy who did take less money for comfort - Nolan Ryan. When the Astros unceremoniously dumped him after 1988 (offered him 1/2 his current contract knowing he would walk) Nolan had no offers and went looking to play in Japan. The Rangers went to Japan and talked with him and signed him for a deal that YES, was better than the Astros, but was LESS than the Japanese team was offering for the chance to stay playing near home. Nolan has even said that the chance to be near his home and family was worth way more than the money.

Again, I guess we will all see and we can revisit this post AFTER the WS and AFTER November Deer Season in Arkansas when Cliff Lee decides to let us all know how he is leaning and where he will be signing.

All the best -

Smitty

ther rangers did recently sign a realy nice tv contract. Should help with income and not be much of a strain on the payroll if they do sign lee.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Okay, time to go turn on the tube and get ready for the Rangers 1st ever WS Game!!!!