Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: MEARS Mumbo-Jumbo?

Wow amazing stuff. How comfortable should we be with Mears loa's? Why would someone pay these guys for opinions on items when you see things like this happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    Wow amazing stuff. How comfortable should we be with Mears loa's? Why would someone pay these guys for opinions on items when you see things like this happen.
    They are currently the only company I believe authenticating game used memorabilia (other than other bat authenticators) and their work is almost always perfect. Thousands of authentications and then a couple of mistakes and people come on here and act as if it is the norm for them.

MEARS has a great industry record, and there are unanswered questions about this jacket that I do not know if anyone from MEARS has actually addressed because maybe they have not been contacted or maybe they feel attacked over the issues - I don't know. I never asked them, I just saw the posts on this forum.

Also, this industry isn't perfect with authentication, but MEARS has always stood behind their decisions even if they have not replied to this one, I do not know if anyone has attempted to contact them over it.

----

On another note, interesting to see that the rumors have been denied about who bought this jersey off eBay. Bravo Chris to edit the forum to remove speculations or rumors.

The facts that Robert has shown is really enough evidence that hopefully MEARS responds to if someone contacts them over it personally.

I think there is always going to be the good and the bad. Authenticators are not perfect though we all would like to think that they are. At the end of the day it is still just a piece of paper with someones opinion on it. As long as you are happy with the item, then that's all that matters at the end of the day. This thread started because Mears swooped in and stole an item right out from under someone...it's not the first time someone has used cash money to get what they wanted in this hobby. My two cents for what its worth.

Wade

["Thousands of authentications and then a couple of mistakes and people come on here and act as if it is the norm for them."

I don't think anyone is saying this is the norm for them. But the mistakes that have been brought up here have been monstrous money-grabs that fly in the face of everything they purport to stand for.

"Also, this industry isn't perfect with authentication, but MEARS has always stood behind their decisions even if they have not replied to this one, I do not know if anyone has attempted to contact them over it."

Please refresh my memory on their response over the Jim Brown jersey. I seem to recall them avoiding that one, too.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    ["Thousands of authentications and then a couple of mistakes and people come on here and act as if it is the norm for them."

I don't think anyone is saying this is the norm for them. But the mistakes that have been brought up here have been monstrous money-grabs that fly in the face of everything they purport to stand for.

"Also, this industry isn't perfect with authentication, but MEARS has always stood behind their decisions even if they have not replied to this one, I do not know if anyone has attempted to contact them over it."

Please refresh my memory on their response over the Jim Brown jersey. I seem to recall them avoiding that one, too.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
    Ken, I do not know all the history about a Jim Brown jersey. You should email or call MEARS and ask if you really want to know. How come I should know the answer?

I just know the same 2-4 items there have been issues with keep getting brought up over and over again. They have thousands upon thousands of quality authentication, and a guy makes a comment asking how comfortable they should be with their authentication and you say no one is questioning if this is the norm.

Who said MEARS is avoiding anything? Has anyone personally contacted Troy or the general staff at MEARS asking questions? MEARS does not have a responsibility to this forum. I assume they know about this thread, but that doesn't mean they read it.

Dave Grob has taken personal action and the other Dave has make a statement that I can only assume is true so they are covered, but neither of them work in the office for MEARS as far as I understand, so unless someone calls or emails them with these questions, who knows how they are responding since they do not have an obligation to respond on this forum.

It would be nice if they would respond on this forum directly to Robert's findings, or for that matter even on their own forum, but we cannot control what they do from here if we do not contact them personally and I'm not going to do that myself.

Someone should take the lead.

Banned

This reminds me of those commercials. "Are you sure this parachute is packed correctly?" "Probably"!
    "Are you sure this item is legit?" "Probably!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfan View Post
    This reminds me of those commercials. "Are you sure this parachute is packed correctly?" "Probably"!
    "Are you sure this item is legit?" "Probably!"
    AWSOME !

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Who said MEARS is avoiding anything? Has anyone personally contacted Troy or the general staff at MEARS asking questions? MEARS does not have a responsibility to this forum. I assume they know about this thread, but that doesn't mean they read it.
    Clearly Dave and Dave are reading it, as they have both responded. In fact, Dave Grob's response includes him making a major decision in how he will manage his involvement with MEARS in the future. So..... you don't think this thread/issue is important enough for other senior MEARS staff to read, or that they don't care about the very informative photos and comments members are offering, regarding the questionability of this item?

Dave Grob has taken personal action and the other Dave has make a statement that I can only assume is true so they are covered, but neither of them work in the office for MEARS as far as I understand, so unless someone calls or emails them with these questions, who knows how they are responding since they do not have an obligation to respond on this forum.
    If Dave and Dave felt it was important to respond to this forum, it seems rather cavalier (no pun intended) for the rest of MEARS to ignore it.

It would be nice if they would respond on this forum directly to Robert's findings, or for that matter even on their own forum, but we cannot control what they do from here if we do not contact them personally and I'm not going to do that myself.

Someone should take the lead.
    All right, I will. I'll assume Troy is either reading this, or that he talks with Dave or Dave every so often, and we know they are reading it. Troy, Dave and Dave weren't responsible for what happened... So, can you offer any enlightenment to the situation?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    All right, I will. I'll assume Troy is either reading this, or that he talks with Dave or Dave every so often, and we know they are reading it. Troy, Dave and Dave weren't responsible for what happened... So, can you offer any enlightenment to the situation?
    MEARS doesn't have to read this forum, no one makes any auction house read this forum. I'm sure they know about this discussion, but they do not have to come to this forum to respond.

We do not know who or how much this jacket was bought for. We do not know if they were contacted or if the seller was contacted and reneged on an eBay deal.

I have no reason to contact Troy or Tony over this issue. If anyone, such as Robert wants to contact them personally for an answer, I hope they share it with us.

I just believe that no one is responsible to this forum if they do not wish to reply on here. I would assume they read this thread, but since so many people attacked them over 2-4 past items instead of focusing on this item, after they have authenticated properly how many thousands of items, I can assume they decided not to reply or act through Game Used Universe.

If anyone really cares, I would recommend calling MEARS and asking questions that we are all dying to know the answers to. The phone numbers can be found on the MEARS Auctions web site.

Expecting them to reply on a forum (or possibly even email) is most likely not going to happen. They have their own forum, and if anyone was really concerned I assume they should have posted there from the start unless they just were looking to smear the MEARS name.

They may deserve it on this one, I don't know all the facts but I hope someone finds them.

MEARS doesn't have to read this forum, no one makes any auction house read this forum. I'm sure they know about this discussion, but they do not have to come to this forum to respond.
    I'm not sure what your point is. First, we agree they are likely aware of this forum and discussion, as two of their high-profile people have already responded, one contacting Chris directly, and the other deciding to make a major adjustment in his involvement with the company.

We also agree they don't have to come to this forum to respond..... But since the members of this forum are either customers or potential customers of their items or services, one would think it would be worth their time to give some sort of explanation. Let's put it this way: Dave and Dave thought so.

Sometimes silence is the loudest response of all.