Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Tigers Reach Agreement With Victor Martinez

Being a huge Red Sox fan I was shocked but then NOT really. Detroit got a good deal IMO.

Banned

Re: Tigers Reach Agreement With Victor Martinez

The Tigers added a middle of the order bat today, reaching an agreement with catcher Victor Martinez on a four-year, $50MM contract. Martinez was widely regarded as the best offensive catcher available, though he may see significant time as Detroit's designated hitter.

Martinez, 32 next month, hit .302/.351/.493 in 538 plate appearances for the Red Sox this year, earning his fourth All-Star nod. As a switcher-hitter, Martinez provides the left side protection the Tigers craved. He also logged 904 innings behind the plate, a number that should decrease in Detroit due to the presence of Alex Avila.

Though the Red Sox hoped to re-sign Martinez, reportedly offering him a choice of three years and $36MM or four years and $42MM. They can take solace in receiving the best available draft pick as part of their compensation. The Tigers must surrender their #19 draft pick next year to the Red Sox, unless Detroit also signs Jayson Werth later. In that case the Red Sox would get the Tigers' second-round pick. Regardless, the Red Sox will also receive a supplemental draft pick.

Re: Tigers Reach Agreement With Victor Martinez

I am a big Martinez fan and, while I wish he was still with the Indians, the Tigers are a good landing spot for him to DH and catch occasionally. Thankfully the Tigers are good about selling GU items so I will be able to keep adding to my collection. I was able to stock up on a bunch of Martinez items from the Red Sox at great prices so I guess I am glad to see him change teams for that reason. It does leave the Red Sox needing another bat. While Martinez is not a good defensive catcher his bat is as solid as ever.