Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Personal appeal of Game Issued items

Hi All,

I tried searching for a similar topic but the search function doesn't seem to be working...

I am curious as to why someone would by a game issued jersey over a game used jersey. Why wouldn't you wait out for a GU?

I have been offered 2 MLB Certified Issued jersey's of 2 of my favourite players, but the seller is looking for $100 ea and i'm not sure if I can justify the price. For $100 I could wait around for a GU one...

Would like to know peoples motivation for splashing cash on GI stuff. Probably I should be asking "help me justify spending this much"

Thanks!
    Mark.

Re: Personal appeal of Game Issued items

Mark,

I don't know that there is necessary an appeal for game issued jerseys other than that they are cheaper. I know there are a few collectors that like game issued bats for this reason, but also that they may display a little crisper.

Now as for the specific jerseys you are referencing that are MLB certified game issued jerseys, I assume what you are saying is that the jerseys have MLB Authentication holograms and are listed in the database as 'Game Issued'. When it comes to jerseys that are listed as 'game issued' in the MLB Authentication database a great number of those jerseys are actually 'game used'. The reason, however, they are not listed as 'game used' is because the MLB Authenticator did not see the uniform come directly off of the player's back. (As in after the season bulk authentication sessions.) When items are authenticated in bulk at the end of the season, most of the authenticators tend to list the items as just 'game issued' to be on the safe side.

I hope this response helps you out.

-Andrew

Banned

I never saw the appeal to me it is a waste and the definition of game issued most people use is very loose. Stuff that was never worn or touched by the player to me is like a glorified retail jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I never saw the appeal to me it is a waste and the definition of game issued most people use is very loose. Stuff that was never worn or touched by the player to me is like a glorified retail jersey.
    I agree. However, a retail jersey of that quality is still worth more than 100 bucks. Some people buy game issued gear to have high quality stuff that they can come by more cheaply than if they were to buy it in the mall.

I have seen folks buy uncracked game bats of no-name players for $10 bucks and use them in the cage. The same bat at a sporting goods store probably retails for 60-100.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

I have a 2009 Hinske game issued Yankees jersey with WS and inaugural patches. Got it from Steiner. I bought it for a couple reasons. 1. Price- Steiner has a gu road jersey for sale at $1000 and his gu World Series jersey is on the bay for $999. 2. Availability- Hinske only played 39 games for the Yanks. From what I can tell he had 2 home and 2 road jerseys available to him. One road jersey was worn in the World Series (ebay) and the other is the gu one on Steiner. One pinstripe gu jersey was sold through Steiner and the other is the the "game issued" jersey I have. Although Steiner calls it game issued, it does show some wear and the tail of the jersey is still dirty. I have yet to find a photo match.

to me, if I am looking for a game used item and I find one but I cannot photo match it, it's no good to me and merits the same value of a game issued item and would get the game issued for a cheaper price instead.

If I can get a "Game Issued" jersey for cheaper than pro shop price on a jersey I want to wear, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no real interest.

Thanks guys, great opinions so far. I think i'm swaying to not buying them now One appeal to getting them is the two players will be playing in my city soon and I can get them signed easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tilley72 View Post
    I assume what you are saying is that the jerseys have MLB Authentication holograms and are listed in the database as 'Game Issued'. When it comes to jerseys that are listed as 'game issued' in the MLB Authentication database a great number of those jerseys are actually 'game used'. The reason, however, they are not listed as 'game used' is because the MLB Authenticator did not see the uniform come directly off of the player's back. (As in after the season bulk authentication sessions.) When items are authenticated in bulk at the end of the season, most of the authenticators tend to list the items as just 'game issued' to be on the safe side.
    Thanks Andrew, I knew this was the case, but one of the reason's i'm sure they are only issued is that the players didn't even play an MLB game that year! (Well, 1 player had 2 AB's in 1 game). I believe they where on the 40 man roster, but they have no info on baseball-reference.com as to stats.

Although I guess that could mean that they wore the jersey's but sat on the bench? I guess you would never know for sure...

Thanks all!
    Mark.

Cool Re: Personal appeal of Game Issued items

As others have said, sometimes buying a game issued jersey may be your only option. Depending on how much of a career the player has had or the popularity it may be incredibly difficult to find ANY jersey worn by that player. In my case, I am a fan of the M's and I thought Rafael Soriano never got the respect he deserved here and I had never seen any of his M's gamers, so I paid less than $100 for the only Soriano jersey I had ever seen at the time, which happened to be a team issued.

I have a couple of game issued jerseys in my collection and I don't mind at all, it's cheaper than paying full retail cost for a lettered jersey. Plus it might be a better alternative to getting jerseys signed. I know there's a large number of folks who prefer game used items without autographs since it's adding something to the jersey that wasn't there when it was worn. If it's just a team issued, I think it'd make for a great signed jersey. The numbers would be crisp and perfect for a nice signature.

If it makes you happy and you think you'd like it in your collection, go for it, don't worry about what the rest of us think
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    If I can get a "Game Issued" jersey for cheaper than pro shop price on a jersey I want to wear, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no real interest.
    A few of you guys say this so I am curious how do you find GI jerseys that fit? Most athletes are much larger than the average person so I would think a GI jersey would be too big on most people.