Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Name your most WTF? jersey you've owned or seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I guess I missed the point too. Sorry the humor was taken out of the thread for you and I for one wasn't sniping at you. Just offering an opinion too.

Mods please delete my non-humorous post from a thread that had obvious humorous intent.
    Dewey it wasn't directed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    It wasn't a "snipe" at all. It was an honest attempt to find the humor. I go to many Patriots games in a #1 Jersey with my last name on it. I just didn't see the connection with the #16 jersey. Last guy I remember wearing it was Zolack.

Maybe there is too much sniping going on, it's making people too sensitive.

NEFAN, I apologize as I did not mean to disparage anyone else wearing a personalized jersey. My buddy John always lamented what he did (himself) and I went along with it. He had buyer's remorse and felt he needed to wear it to get his money's worth. He caught a lot of grief from the drunks in the stands. I am sure you can relate, especially in the second half, it can get pretty belligerent up there in the nosebleeds.

John Smith was a mighty #1 so I will reminisce and be done with it. I was not trying to be mean-spirited in my original post......and I will now disclose what the name was on my buddy's jersey so you can hopefully share my point's humor:

WINKELMAN

All he would get was a slurred "who the F**K is WINKELMAN?" about 40 times a game. It was funny, sad, and I guess you had to be there.

Now, back to our regular programming...........

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Gingi, why have you forsaken me???
    Never old friend.

See I think this thread brought up a specific issue re: customizing jerseys with ridiculous people. To some, a random fans last name looks goofy. However, Dewey nailed it: People change teams more often than ever before. I personally spent hundreds of dollars on a jersey only to see him traded a month later. It became worthless until 12 years later when he retired and it turned out to be a rare style specifically with the number I had made up. Had he not, it would be worthless to me and I'd have lost hundreds in reselling it. My name doesn;t change, neither does my fandom.

To Eisenreich, spending the $300 to have a person's name on back when they never played is a WTF jersey. Hard to argue since my #3 was that specific instance. Would you not laugh at a Gump #1 Shrimping jersey? Same thing in many people's book.

I realize their is a ton of sniping, disagreements and some pretty rude commentary. Please take this post as my intention to stay away from those types of posts and just try to have a fun thread. Of course seeing an Anthony Young Mets jersey is almost as goofy in my book so what do I know?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Dewey it wasn't directed at you.
    eisenreich8 no problem. I guess I got to stop being so sensitive

Like I mentioned in my original post. I had a WTF moment when I first saw the Seahawks #12 (as in twelfth man) "FAN" jerseys. I guess instead of having your own name or the name of a favorite player you could just be one of the herd.

I still have WTF moments when I see Randy Moss jerseys being worn at Raiders games. Here was a guy who quit on the team and people are still wearing his jersey. If you're a true fan just pony up the money and go out and get a new jersey.

I'm still waiting for a player with the last name of St. Germaine to play for the A's, Warriors, or Raiders so I can buy one of their jerseys!!

eisenreich8 no problem. I guess I got to stop being so sensitive

Like I mentioned in my original post. I had a WTF moment when I first saw the Seahawks #12 (as in twelfth man) "FAN" jerseys. I guess instead of having your own name or the name of a favorite player you could just be one of the herd.

I still have WTF moments when I see Randy Moss jerseys being worn at Raiders games. Here was a guy who quit on the team and people are still wearing his jersey. If you're a true fan just pony up the money and go out and get a new jersey.

I'm still waiting for a player with the last name of St. Germaine to play for the A's, Warriors, or Raiders so I can buy one of their jerseys!!
    I hear you Dewey, I have the opposite problem....with a last name like Madden, I cannot have a customized jersey made for any team as I would be taken for a 12 year old.

I don't need a jersey to have that happen lol. I parallel what you say about Moss jerseys in Oakland with the proliferation of ManRam jerseys at Fenway. "Quit on the team" chiseled in stone. And it didn't end in Boston, did it? But that's a topic for another day.......

When I read "WTF? jersey", the first thing I thought of was "Frankenjersey" - the "jersey" somebody sewed together using the pieces from a whole bunch of "game worn jersey" cards, and then put on eBay, a few years ago.

I see nothing odd about wearing the jersey of a team's former member, particularly a much-loved one. I see Diamondbacks jerseys all the time with (Matt) Williams, (Luis) Gonzalez, or (Randy) Johnson...but I guess that's more of a Baseball thing.

I haven't seen him in a while, but one guy used to come to every home game vs. the Dodgers wearing a jersey that said: "L.A. Sucks" across the back.

Hey... You could have had the Mark Dewey jersey a couple of years back!

But then again, it's probably weird to walk around with your first name on your back. I wouldn't exactly want a "NICK" jersey...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Here are my "WTF" jerseys in no particular order...

1. At a Mets memorabilia party, one guy was wearing a 1986 style Mets jersey with the name "BUCKNER" on the back, and in place of a number, he had a large "E3" I thought this was creative... but I can imagine he wouldn't want to wear this one in Boston.

2. Oddball game used jerseys from my own collection... I have a Lowell Spinners "Star Wars" theme jersey and a Binghamton Mets "Star Trek" theme jersey. Also, a Brooklyn Cyclones tie-dye jersey from the "Furthur" theme night last season. All of them are capable of generating stares (but not the good kind).

3. Those "Frankenjerseys" you see on ebay that I call attention to on the forum every now and then... most notably the Cubs Ron Santo jersey where the 1 on the back is about 3X the thickness of the 0, and the Sammy Sosa Rangers jersey with the Cubs font lettering on the back.

4. Any TATC jersey.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Hey... You could have had the Mark Dewey jersey a couple of years back!

But then again, it's probably weird to walk around with your first name on your back. I wouldn't exactly want a "NICK" jersey...
    Nick, I remember that one! Now that might have been a WTF if I'm wearing around a Mets jersey with my first name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Here are my "WTF" jerseys in no particular order...

1. At a Mets memorabilia party, one guy was wearing a 1986 style Mets jersey with the name "BUCKNER" on the back, and in place of a number, he had a large "E3" I thought this was creative... but I can imagine he wouldn't want to wear this one in Boston.

2. Oddball game used jerseys from my own collection... I have a Lowell Spinners "Star Wars" theme jersey and a Binghamton Mets "Star Trek" theme jersey. Also, a Brooklyn Cyclones tie-dye jersey from the "Furthur" theme night last season. All of them are capable of generating stares (but not the good kind).

3. Those "Frankenjerseys" you see on ebay that I call attention to on the forum every now and then... most notably the Cubs Ron Santo jersey where the 1 on the back is about 3X the thickness of the 0, and the Sammy Sosa Rangers jersey with the Cubs font lettering on the back.

4. Any TATC jersey.

1.) I just blew ginger ale out my nose.
    2.) I have one of these also. Odd indeed.
    4.) Agreed!