Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Name your most WTF? jersey you've owned or seen?

I recently attended a game in my new adopted home of North Carolina to see the Carolina Hurricanes take on the Pittsburgh Penguins. Other than being amazed that the jerseys worn by fans were an astounding 75% Penguins at an away game, I saw a jersey that was so head scratching that it inspired a 2 hour conversation with some fellow fans in my section.

So to continue my streak of posting sports discussions here to dissect them better, what jersey have you seen or owned that inspires people to wonder why the holy hell you would purchase or customize a jersey with that player. Here's my top 3:

#3 A NY Islanders Pavel Bure #10. I'm sure those of you who have followed the NHL in the 90's are wondering when Bure played on Long Island. The answer is: He didn't. Someone actually payed over $200 to customize their favorite players name on their favorite teams jersey, even though he didn't play for them. Just Wow.

#2 A Don Majikowski (sp?) Detroit Lions jersey. Look, I'm not a Packers fan so I can only speak as an outsider. Other than the one season that Sterling Sharpe made him "Majik", the guy appeared to be a scrub as a starter. But as a backup on his final team? Look, this jersey was not mass produced. Unless he's a family member, this was the leader in my mind for over a decade in the WTF catagory.

#1 A Dan Cloutier Canucks jersey. My reason for this post. Clouts once let in a goal from the red line. As a dump in PASS in the PLAYOFFS!!!! Ask a Red Wings fan. I think Hasek once kicked a beach ball from his own goal that scored. Nevermind the fact the best line in hockey played for the Canucks in 2003. They got beat in 7 games ONLY BECAUSE OF DAN. Some poor kid was wearing a Cloutier Canucks shirt at the Pens-Canes game and I wanted to yank it over his head and pummel him.

Please tell me there is a jersey more WTF than this. I doubt you can.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Re: Name your most WTF? jersey you've owned or seen?

Gingi--

I have Clouts' stick from that infamous goal. I'm sure that would go great in your collection! It's a great photo match lol

I used to own about 12 of his jerseys...great potential and just never amounted to anything.

Scott

Not a hockey jersey WTF but back when I lived in Mass. a close friend often wore his white authentic Pats jersey with his last name on the back and #16, which was the day he was born. He would wear the jersey to Pats home games and invariably fans in Foxboro would ask him "who the eff is "XXXXXXX". How the guy could even hold his head up was beyond me.

Add to that the jersey, customized, cost him about $250.

It was a regrettable purchase even by his own admission, but he still wore it "around". I always shook my head and burped up a little acid whenever I saw it.

And, Matt, next time you plan to go to the RBC Center, you better let me know. I'm only 8 miles from the damn place.

What sport are you talking about in 1 and 3? I'm so lost.

Banned

Angry Re: Name your most WTF? jersey you've owned or seen?

Seen more than once:

White Sox home pinstriped jerseys with a name and number on back of BARTMAN 03. Given the almost psychotic hatred of the Cubs that many White Sox fans possess, it wouldn't be a stretch to offer the opinion that there are White Sox fans (and not just 2 or 3) who rejoiced as or more loudly when the Cubs went down in 2003 than they did when their own team went all the way 2 years later...I have yet to see a CHAMPS 05 jersey on the South Side.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Not a hockey jersey WTF but back when I lived in Mass. a close friend often wore his white authentic Pats jersey with his last name on the back and #16, which was the day he was born. He would wear the jersey to Pats home games and invariably fans in Foxboro would ask him "who the eff is "XXXXXXX". How the guy could even hold his head up was beyond me.

Add to that the jersey, customized, cost him about $250.

It was a regrettable purchase even by his own admission, but he still wore it "around". I always shook my head and burped up a little acid whenever I saw it.

And, Matt, next time you plan to go to the RBC Center, you better let me know. I'm only 8 miles from the damn place.
    I'm a little confused by this. He should be ashamed for having a custom jersey made up for himself? Did I miss the point???

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    I'm a little confused by this. He should be ashamed for having a custom jersey made up for himself? Did I miss the point???
    I personally do not wear jerseys to games but I do not see a problem with having a custom jersey made with your last name on it and the number you want if you're a fan of a particular team. Why does it have to be one with an actual players name on it?

This is a much better idea then wearing a generic jersey like the ones that I've seen the Seahawks sell that say "FAN" on the back.

Also, with so much movement in the league these days if you buy a jersey with a players name on the back that player might not be on the team in the next year to two then your stuck having to buy a whole new jersey. I always thought it was weird seeing fans wear jerseys to games of guys who are no longer on the team. HOF players are one thing but I've seen Raiders fans wearing Hostetler and Moss jerseys to games.

No, I guess you didn't miss the point, but rather I missed the point, as I see no point in posting into what was conceived as a humorous thread and offering an opinion and getting sniped at for it. Why does everything need to be dissected and minutely analyzed?

If I gave you a customized jersey with your name on it and your number of choice (let's say, Fonzarelli, #12), just stop for the briefest second and ask yourself if you would wear this jersey into the stands at a Pats home game. Didn't think so.

It is definitely becoming prudent to keep a low profile on this forum these days. Gingi, why have you forsaken me???

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    No, I guess you didn't miss the point, but rather I missed the point, as I see no point in posting into what was conceived as a humorous thread and offering an opinion and getting sniped at for it. Why does everything need to be dissected and minutely analyzed?

If I gave you a customized jersey with your name on it and your number of choice (let's say, Fonzarelli, #12), just stop for the briefest second and ask yourself if you would wear this jersey into the stands at a Pats home game. Didn't think so.

It is definitely becoming prudent to keep a low profile on this forum these days. Gingi, why have you forsaken me???
    I guess I missed the point too. Sorry the humor was taken out of the thread for you and I for one wasn't sniping at you. Just offering an opinion too.

Mods please delete my non-humorous post from a thread that had obvious humorous intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I guess I missed the point too. Sorry the humor was taken out of the thread for you and I for one wasn't sniping at you. Just offering an opinion too.

Mods please delete my non-humorous post from a thread that had obvious humorous intent.
    It wasn't a "snipe" at all. It was an honest attempt to find the humor. I go to many Patriots games in a #1 Jersey with my last name on it. I just didn't see the connection with the #16 jersey. Last guy I remember wearing it was Zolack.

Maybe there is too much sniping going on, it's making people too sensitive.