Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Derek Jeter wins a gold glove

It shows how big of a joke this award has become.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Re: Derek Jeter wins a gold glove

Jeter has perfected that "run right, jump, throw from deep in the hole" thing to its finest. Not only has he reconditioned himself but he is without a doubt, still the top defensive SS in the league. There's some other good players out there, but they'll have to work long and hard to do what he does day in, and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    It shows how big of a joke this award has become.

I would have to disagree. He only commited 6 errors this year, the lowest amount of errors in a season for him in his career. (Not counting 1995 when he only played 15 games.)
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

that's pretty much it

his range is shot, but he fields whatever he gets too cleanly

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    I would have to disagree. He only commited 6 errors this year, the lowest amount of errors in a season for him in his career. (Not counting 1995 when he only played 15 games.)
    And his range factor is 3.62 vs 4.36 league average. That means he got to 120 less balls than the average SS did this year. He can't make errors if he doesn't get to the ball.

And for the record, I like Jeter. But he should not have won the Gold Glove. I agree with the OP, its a joke.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5k runner where did you get those stats from, id be interested in looking them up for both leagues. Jeter is good at getting ground balls hit right to him, but the going to his right and throwing isnt his strong point anymore. Saw him try it in the alcs and he just looked old.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

a big thing was made about his range either before this past season or last--according to those numbers, he was ranked as one of the worst (if not THE worst) SS's in the majors.

any yanks fan can tell you, his first step or two is insanely slow. but like i said, if he actually gets to a ball, he rarely flubs it. that said, would it be better of he got to more balls, but over- or under-threw the 1B and gave up the extra base? i dont have an answer for that.

in this case, i dont think the numbers tell the whole story. he's not the worst fielding SS in the league, but i also dont think he should have sniffed a GG this season

In 2010, Alexei Ramirez destroyed Derek Jeter as a defensive shortstop. Ramirez may have made 15 or so more errors, but he made a ton more plays that Jeter can only dream about at this stage of his career. The players got it right when they voted Ramirez as the A.L. all-star shortstop in The Sporting News voting.

yep and elvis andrus was snubbed.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington