Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Louisville Slugger Specifics For 1996 Bats?

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Tony, I emailed you one idea that may work. Do you own any newer bats that have the weight stamped into the bat? If you have owned the bat for a while, it would be interesting to see how that bat weighs to see if it weighs heavier than the weight stamped on the bat.

Since you live near Virginia Beach with a high water table, I can imagine it is a high moisture area.
    Agree. Don't have a bat with a weight stamp on it. Great idea however.

And considering it is just slightly over 32 oz. by only 3/4 of an oz., it makes me believe it's from the (12) 32 oz. bats ordered on 29 April 1996.

Going from 31 oz. to 32 3/4 oz. is a pretty signifiant increase I would think.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Andrew, thanks for all the emails and info going back and forth trying to
    pinpoint this down. Sharing info is great, and I love researching stuff.

In summary:

BMH: The information of when he hit it (18 April 1996) and the fact it's an
    autograph bat means it was either:

* 1 of the 24 34/31 C271's sent to him in Spring Training, or;
    * 1 of the 12 34/32 C271's sent to him in Spring Training of 1996.

ROBITANO: Can you tell from the orders if it is for the smith finish or not? I
    have a 34 inch smith finish Arod from 95-97 labeling. I think Tony's bat is not
    the smith finish variety if that could pinpoint the order.

BMH: They are regular black finish. Arod didn't start using Smith finish until
    later.

BMH: Smith finish is what most players call "double dipped". Our Smith finish is
    a grain filling process. If you can see the grain clearly from the handle to the
    end of the barrel then it's not a Smith finish bat. If you can't see the grain
    in the barrel then it is a Smith finish bat. Arod's first order for Smith finish
    was in December of 1996.

BMH: If it weighs 32.75, I will say it is most likely from the 3/29/96 order of
    12 bats that weighed 32oz. Bat weight can fluctuate over time due to temp and
    humidity. Like you said, if it has pine tar on it then it did add some weight. I
    can't rule the bat out from being one of the 24 from January or February, but
    when a bat does change weight it usually loses weight and does not gain unless
    it's kept in a damp area.

TONY: The 32 3/4 oz. the bat weighed on the scale I bought yesterday, may not be
    so exact, so it could be off slightly. I have to agree that this bat is most
    likely from the 3/29/96 order of 12 bats that weighed 32oz. I can't believe if a
    bat weighed 31 oz. in 1996, it wouldn't weigh 32 3/4 oz. 14 years later. But a
    bat that weighed 32 oz. in 1996, then weighed 32 3/4 oz. 14 years later, makes
    more sense. It's also nice to know that Arod didn't use signature bats until
    1996, and that he didn't use Smith finish bats until December 1996.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Tony, I found this picture in an old post and thought it may help for Brian to see a picture of the bat.

Also, Tony how did you weigh the bat?

Attachment 44334
    Andrew, I'm going to FEDEX today to have the bat weighed again.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andrew, this picture shows the bat weighs 2 lbs. 3/4 oz. I weight it on a few other scales, and weighed about the same. I guess with each different type scale, weight can be different.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]