Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Phillies 2010 Winter Sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Gocong57 View Post
    Thanks for showing this. This is the type of stuff they would have at this. Keep in mind I was about 40-50 people back when I would have gotten in and some of the "better name" jerseys were sold after the picture was taken. Prices are cheap, but quality is pathetic. Bats were too much for me....If they cut these down the second day I might have bought some.

I am curious to anyone that asked about wanting me to look for something....Is there anything that you would have wanted? I will keep you in mind if I go next year?

Chris

I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.
    looking for Phillies GU bats

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.
    I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all

Quote Originally Posted by Gocong57 View Post
    Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all
    Very well said. I follow the minor league guys very closely so I like buying some of these items (junk) for my collection. You could make the argument that they could move these items to the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs and they would sell much better, especially items like Andy Tracy, Mike Cervanek, Lou Marson, etc. The Andy Tracy nameplates would sell for 5-10x as much probably.

If you are looking for the top-tier guys it will be very rare or not at all. I saw a Chase Utley bat two years ago on Sunday for $400, but it was sold probably to the first person. Now they were selling it for $750 on the last day of the season and it sold. If the Phillies start missing the playoffs again, this sale might get better again for that person.

I have gone the last 3 years so I know what to expect, but for others wanting the big name players (Halladay, Hamels, Howard, Utley, Rollins, etc.) you are better off buying directly from the Phillies at the stand at Section 126, going to their auctions at games/Phillies Phestival at the ballpark during the season, or maybe buying off dealers. I know that the stand is expensive, but the Phillies just sold out every game for the entire 2010 season. If they are not as good, prices will come down and the holiday sale might have better names available.

Chris

Yeah, I remember that Utley--a young woman bought it and I sent my wife to chase her and inquire about it as she went down the elevator--it was uncracked and NOT for re-sale at that time LOL.

Can you imagine how much more Utley's bats will appreciate when he resumes having good years?

Here is another site that has pictures of the event:

http://philliesphollowers.mlblogs.com/

Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post
    Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?
    I believe they all sold out.