Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jules9
    • Dec 2008

Re: Phillies 2010 Winter Sale?

I went 2 years ago and I think they have a limit on how many bats you can buy. It may have been 1 or 2

Comment

• sctizzle
      • Nov 2005

I went last year and there was absolutely nothing worth buying....long line waiting to get to the game used area and it was quick exit after seeing what they had. Best part was seeing the phanatic as Santa.

Scott

Comment

• Chris78
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sctizzle
        I went last year and there was absolutely nothing worth buying....long line waiting to get to the game used area and it was quick exit after seeing what they had. Best part was seeing the phanatic as Santa.

Scott
        As I said above, if you have any interest in what I mentioned above then it might be worth going....otherwise, what Scott says above best describes this event.

Chris

Comment

• bubbrubb25
          • Jan 2007

Well once again for the 3rd year in a row couldnt make it! Did anything get anything good? What was all there game used wise? Prices? Any polanco stuff?
          http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/

Email: dannysubach@yahoo.com

Comment

• Chris78
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bubbrubb25
            Well once again for the 3rd year in a row couldnt make it! Did anything get anything good? What was all there game used wise? Prices? Any polanco stuff?
            Bats were over-priced in my opinion.... They had $75 for Paul Bako, Cody Ransom, etc. Werth was $300, Greg Dobbs $175, JA Happ $175....I did not buy any game used bats as I felt they cost too much other than a mystery bat for $10 which had the player's name blotted out. They had some signed/team issued bats as well, but I did not focus that much on this area. Maybe somebody else can chip in....

Jerseys were cheaper: batting practice $30 and up, Home/Road and a few alternate were mainly $60, etc. No big names at all just spring training guys, coaches, etc. These are some of the names that I bought: Lou Marson, Sergio Escalona, Rodrigo Lopez, Jason Donald, Dave Huppert, Milt Thompson, Anthony Hewitt, Mike Cervenak, and J.J. Furmaniak. You can see the trend that all but Thompson and Hewitt were Ironpigs in 2009. This year the jerseys from 2009 are MLB authenticated as Team-Issued jerseys; in years past none were authenticated. I was also disappointed that I did not obtain any 2009 jerseys that had the WS patch on the sleeve, and I do not know if any existed.

They had nameplates for $20, lineup cards $25, some other jerseys in a different room for $200, yearbooks from other teams $2 (Yankees were $5), autographed hats and balls starting $5 and up (they lowered these 2 for $5 on Sunday on the $5 hats/balls and I bought some of these). They had some posters/banners etc. They also had some used batting helmets and cleats for sale. I did buy a Greg Dobbs signed authenticated 2008 WS ball for $25 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Overall, not much different than the last two years. They had a limit on jerseys (4) and bats (2). I go to a lot of Ironpigs games so I can relate to the jerseys more, but most people would probably not be that interested in these players. More bats this year but I have obtained enough now that I tend not to want to pay a lot on bats. I do not remember seeing any Polanco stuff...this event tends to have guys that have left the team.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Comment

• Gocong57
              • May 2009

On another site: http://jerseycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8076

Comment

• Chris78
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gocong57
                Thanks for showing this. This is the type of stuff they would have at this. Keep in mind I was about 40-50 people back when I would have gotten in and some of the "better name" jerseys were sold after the picture was taken. Prices are cheap, but quality is pathetic. Bats were too much for me....If they cut these down the second day I might have bought some.

I am curious to anyone that asked about wanting me to look for something....Is there anything that you would have wanted? I will keep you in mind if I go next year?

Chris

Comment

• Neal
                  • Jan 2010

I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.
                  looking for Phillies GU bats

Comment

• Chris78
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Neal
                    I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.
                    I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Comment

• Gocong57
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Chris78
                      I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all

Comment

• Chris78
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gocong57
                        Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all
                        Very well said. I follow the minor league guys very closely so I like buying some of these items (junk) for my collection. You could make the argument that they could move these items to the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs and they would sell much better, especially items like Andy Tracy, Mike Cervanek, Lou Marson, etc. The Andy Tracy nameplates would sell for 5-10x as much probably.

If you are looking for the top-tier guys it will be very rare or not at all. I saw a Chase Utley bat two years ago on Sunday for $400, but it was sold probably to the first person. Now they were selling it for $750 on the last day of the season and it sold. If the Phillies start missing the playoffs again, this sale might get better again for that person.

I have gone the last 3 years so I know what to expect, but for others wanting the big name players (Halladay, Hamels, Howard, Utley, Rollins, etc.) you are better off buying directly from the Phillies at the stand at Section 126, going to their auctions at games/Phillies Phestival at the ballpark during the season, or maybe buying off dealers. I know that the stand is expensive, but the Phillies just sold out every game for the entire 2010 season. If they are not as good, prices will come down and the holiday sale might have better names available.

Chris

Comment

• Gocong57
                          • May 2009

Yeah, I remember that Utley--a young woman bought it and I sent my wife to chase her and inquire about it as she went down the elevator--it was uncracked and NOT for re-sale at that time LOL.

Can you imagine how much more Utley's bats will appreciate when he resumes having good years?

Comment

• Chris78
                            • Nov 2007

Here is another site that has pictures of the event:

Following the team with a unique perspective on all things Phillies. Email me: PhilliesPhollowers@comcast.net - Peace, Love & Baseball - Jenn

Comment

• cliffjmp33
                              • Jun 2010

Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?
                              Cheers,
                              Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
                              My Memorabilia Collection

Comment

• Chris78
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cliffjmp33
                                Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?
                                I believe they all sold out.

Comment

Working...