Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What would go for more in a sale? Gu /photomatched/ Auto'd helmet or Jersey?

I know some prefer a jersey but i would think because helmets are more rare? Does it depend on the players calibur in the hobby? I collect Longoria and his memorabilia agent sells signed gu jerseys for 3k. I own a photomatched helmet of his that has a tone of use and i have matched to at least 4 HR's that i know of including the final HR of 09. I paid 700 for it unsigned. It came with the MLB holo and i started my research going backwards. I have since had him sign it and inscribed "2009 Gamer". Is it crazy of me to think i can quadruple what i paid for it? Someone who i talked to at a show said it would probably only go for around 1500 and i told him he was nuts. Am i the crazy one thinking i cAn get wAy more?

Banned

Re: What would go for more in a sale? Gu /photomatched/ Auto'd helmet or Jersey?

helmets are rarer but many more people collect jerseys so i would say the jersey would go for more due to much greater demand.

Re: What would go for more in a sale? Gu /photomatched/ Auto'd helmet or Jersey?

I think $1500 is about right. I can buy an authenticated David Wright helmet for $500 right now. The two are very similar 3rd basemen who average 30 HR 100 RBI and around a .300 BA every season. The autograph isn't going to add a ton of value to the helmet and since helmets are used for decent stints in the season a helmet by a 30 HR hitter is going to have several HRs attached to it. Players like Pujols, Jeter, Ichiro, and Mauer may pull in closer to the amount you are thinking, and in a few of those players cases even more.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Unhappy Re: What would go for more in a sale? Gu /photomatched/ Auto'd helmet or Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    helmets are rarer but many more people collect jerseys so i would say the jersey would go for more due to much greater demand.
    I can see the reasoning in that. I asked Longoria how many helmets he used in
    2009 and he said he had 3 and 1 of them cracked. There is always more jerseys available but to accept a peice of equipment that for the season
    Has a print run in single digits would go for less is hard to
    Stomach

Id wonder how many g/u jerseys of his have been sold at 3 grand. Id say good luck getting more than a grand for it, but i have also seen crazier things happen so theres no telling.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    Id wonder how many g/u jerseys of his have been sold at 3 grand. Id say good luck getting more than a grand for it, but i have also seen crazier things happen so theres no telling.
    considering that you NEVER see any of his GU helmets hit the market, Why would i need luck getting more then a grand for Photomatched, HR used helmet? You think it would be crazy to see my helmet go for more then a grand , I mean the guy is tied for 2nd Best 3b in the whole league behind Arod and along with Zimmerman.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    I can see the reasoning in that. I asked Longoria how many helmets he used in
    2009 and he said he had 3 and 1 of them cracked. There is always more jerseys available but to accept a peice of equipment that for the season
    Has a print run in single digits would go for less is hard to
    Stomach
    None of us can predict anything with certainty so if you want to find out put it on the market and see what happens. Start at over three grand and see what if any interest you get you can always lower the price later if it does not sell. If you don't mind me asking if it is worth so much how did you pick it up for only $750? (The signature will not add much to the value of the item and to some will detract therefrom). Even if you got it in 2009, Longoria's 2010 season while stellar would not cause that much of a jump in value.

I own 3 Tulowitzki helmets. Two from this season, and I picked those two up just a little more (combined) than your helmet. Helmets just don't seem to get as much as a jersey does. They are rarer, so there really isn't a market for them. People outside of the hobby don't have that knowledge as well. someone who is not a collector would much more likely buy a jersey than a helmet.

Just my opinion.

Also, I would say matching it to a homer doesn't add much, as it is used for a good portion of the season, so it isnt unusual.

no doubt he is good but he plays for tampa. I may be wrong but i dont see how one of his g/u jerseys would go for over a grand as well. He is a top 3rd baseman in the league but he has 0 milestones.
    Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    considering that you NEVER see any of his GU helmets hit the market, Why would i need luck getting more then a grand for Photomatched, HR used helmet? You think it would be crazy to see my helmet go for more then a grand , I mean the guy is tied for 2nd Best 3b in the whole league behind Arod and along with Zimmerman.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

you can look at the recent hunt auction and see where longoria rates in collectibility.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington