Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Advice on Late Night Steiner "Sale"

Greetings everyone
    While surfing last night i came across some great deals on Steiner's website.
    I took advantage of what were some ridiculously low pricing and ordered several of them. They included a signed jeter base from his 2722 game for $200, a Melky 2009 road WS jersey for $75, an 2009 ALCS game 5 base for $200 among others.
    The order went through and i encountered no glitches at checkout so i immediately figured that i had just gotten some unbelievable deals on some great items.
    I found out this morning that my orders have been cancelled due to technical glitches--i was directed to a section on the steiner website describing their right to cancel order policy
    My contact at Steiner, whom i have had excellent dealings with in the past, made a cursory apology and stated that i should have known better than to expect those items at those prices when I ordered. Steiner's solution was to offer a 10-30% discount off the original prices. I declined because at those discount the items are not appealing to me.
    My question to the educated members of this forum is simple: should i have expected this matter to have been handled and reconciled in a different matter?
    Please let me know what you think
    pjb

Re: Forum Advice on Late Night Steiner "Sale"

I had a similar issue a while back, and i was contacted about my order by my steiner rep. While my discount was not as great as yours ($200 for a $999 base) my rep and me worked a great deal. The rep was right in your case to let you know that the prices where unrealistic so my advice would be unless you want to pay $700 for the jeter base or higher for the others, chalk it up to a lesson learned under the "if it seems too good to be true, it is" category

That is not what I stated to you. I stated that you were well aware that the order would probably be cancelled because to get a Jeter base from his record breaking game for which was signed and inscribed for $200 was pretty ridiculous. You reply was yes but that you gave it a try anyway.

I'm sure any yankee collecor, given the opportunity, would drool at the opportunity to get those items at the advertised prices.
    what i'm disappointed at is the counteroffer made to reconcile what amounted to a steiner error
    my goal in the previous post was to poll the readers and get their opinions as to how the situation was handled
    pjb

I think when you rationalize that it was a programing error and not a direct sale from steiner i.e. via mass email, it was handled correctly. just curious, what "counter offer" for the items would you have been happy with?

somewhere between what they were advertised for and the 10-30% off they were willing to give
    pjb

asking steiner to discount any jeter item 50-60% seems far fetched to me.

Steiner makes so many of these errors, if they gave huge discounts after each one, they wouldnt be making so much money.

Its happened to me a couple of times, and I just let it go. I think Steiner just need to work on eliminating these errors.

Banned

I understand there was a web site error, but a customer should not be punished for believing it was a real sale. If the item was usually $1000.00 and now it was $200.00, it could have been a close out sale. The customer has a right to order, and the company had a right to cancel the order due to their web site policies.

Anyone telling the customer they should have known better is wrong. The customer saw it listed as a sale item, so they bought it at the sale price.

My wife is always waiting for clothing to go on sale. She watches like a hawk, and often gets items for up to 80% off if she waits long enough. Not often, but it does happen. Usually she gets 50-60% off, but anything is possible in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    My wife is always waiting for clothing to go on sale. She watches like a hawk, and often gets items for up to 80% off if she waits long enough. Not often, but it does happen. Usually she gets 50-60% off, but anything is possible in retail.
    Clothing and memoribilia are not comparable. The items in question could never be mistaken for a "close-out sale" on Jeter? the alcs base maybe but no way the Jeter.