Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbenga28
    • Nov 2008

Re: To Sign Jeter Or Not!!

Yankees are just doing this to prevent the Mets from making headlines in the backpage.

both sides probably already agreed to a new contract.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BULBUS
      The deal WILL get done. There's no way these 2 part. Jeter will be the first to reach 3,000 as a Yankee and he will be overpaid for his on-field performance. Jeter does have more to lose if he leaves though.
      Finally, after many years you and I finally agree on something!

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
        • Sep 2007

He is not worth the 3/45 they just offered him IMHO. His stats declined tremendously last season and he isn't getting younger. Lets see just how bad he wants to stay a Yankee.

Comment

• xpress34
          • Sep 2008

If he squeezes the Yanks and they don't get a deal done, it would just add to the baseball mystique and lore of the most storied franchise still never having a 3,000 hit club member...

Although (and I have brought it up before) there is ONE player who was a member of the 3,000 hit club that did wear the Yankees pinstripes as a member of the 3,000 hit club. And I'm not talking about guys who passed through NY and THEN made the 3000 hit club (Winfield, Boggs, Henderson, etc)

Anyone want to make a guess?

- Smitty

Comment

• allstarsplus
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
            He is not worth the 3/45 they just offered him IMHO. His stats declined tremendously last season and he isn't getting younger. Lets see just how bad he wants to stay a Yankee.
            Yep, that is way overpaying him for what he can do on the field. If Jeter works the Yankees over for more, they should let him test Free Agency and get a dose of reality on his true value as a Free Agent.
            Regards,
            Andrew Lang
            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
            202-716-8500

Comment

• Bravesfan
              Banned
              • Aug 2010

If the Yankees can let Babe Ruth go, they can let anyone go. The game is bigger than one man.

Comment

• trsent
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Bravesfan
                If the Yankees can let Babe Ruth go, they can let anyone go. The game is bigger than one man.
                You can't compare Babe Ruth's situation and Derek Jeter's situation. Different world, different time, different rules of free agency, different ownership, different alcohol habits, different circumstances, different strokes.

Comment

• Klattsy
                  • Aug 2010

Just the thought of Jeter in another uniform makes me queezy! He will sign. No matter what the price he signs for, people are gonna call it too much. He's had a down year but nothing to say he won't bounce back next year. If even slightly.

Besides, who to play SS if he leaves? Nunez or Pena aren't ready. No decent free agents...

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                    • Aug 2007

I hope they resign him, but i also think he would look good in a royals uniform. With him and arod on the same side of the infield bet theres a 100 ground balls that get through that a normal infield would be able to get.
                    Baseball do what it do
                    -Ron Washington

Comment

• Bravesfan
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by trsent
                      You can't compare Babe Ruth's situation and Derek Jeter's situation. Different world, different time, different rules of free agency, different ownership, different alcohol habits, different circumstances, different strokes.
                      Two players who are the face of the franchise. Two players on their way down as far as their talent. Huge bucks to resign them or save for the future of the franchise instead. Fan favorites. Fans crying about how much they meant to the team in the past.
                      Yea, I can compare them.

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Bravesfan
                        Two players who are the face of the franchise. Two players on their way down as far as their talent. Huge bucks to resign them or save for the future of the franchise instead. Fan favorites. Fans crying about how much they meant to the team in the past.
                        Yea, I can compare them.
                        One was a fat drunk, the other appears to be in fine shape.

You can compare whatever you want, in this debate there is no connection between the two.

Comment

• Bravesfan
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2010

There is comparision in my eyes and unless you are God then you have no right to tell me to think other wise.
                          Now if you want to debate then we can like civilized people.
                          If you want to just state that your opinion is absolute over and over again, as you keep doing, then you can talk to yourself.

Comment

• BULBUS
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
                            Finally, after many years you and I finally agree on something!
                            Have we had that many disagreements? There's been a few times when I couldnt keep my fingers off the keyboard, but I try my best not to get caught up in the arguments. Anyway, glad we agree on something I would really hate to see Jeter go.

-Chris
                            Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                            sigpic
                            donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• cjclong
                              • Feb 2006

Obviously Braves fan has the right to his opinion. But if you look at the facts, Ruth was at the end of his career and did not even complete his last season. He was aging , and like many athletes of his era was never in the best of shape even at the height of his career. His last year he was in even worse condition. Jeter, on the contrary, is in excellent shape. While he has reached the point because of age where his career is in decline he would be a welcome addition for several teams if he were available to them. While its never possible to know for sure how quickly an athletes career will decline, where Jeter is now and Ruth was them do not appear to be comparable.

Comment

• Bravesfan
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2010

Fan easier, fan faster and fan better with Bleacher Report. Keep up with the latest storylines, expert analysis, highlights and scores for all your favorite sports.

Derek Jeter plays the Babe Ruth card

Comment

Working...