Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

August 8, 2006 - The state attorney general's office Tuesday filed criminal charges against three people accused of dealing in fake Brett Favre memorabilia.
    Charged are the owners of an Ashwaubenon sports memorabilia shop, All Sports Marketing, and the owner of an Ashwaubenon printing company, Green Bay Blue.
    The criminal complaint says Paul Vidani of De Pere manufactured photographs at Green Bay Blue. And, that Michael and Cindy Van Lanen sold merchandise with bogus Brett Favre autographs at All Sports Marketing.

The 12-count complaint includes charges of theft by fraud, trafficking in counterfeit mark and obstruction, among others.

Department of Justice agents raided All Sports Marketing last January after getting complaints from Favre and Dave Thomason, who manages Favre's autographed memorabilia sales. Thomason alleged that Van Lanens shop was selling items with forged autographs.

The Van Lanens' memorabilia store has been closed for months.

Re: Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

Two merchants charged with selling fraudulent Favre memorabilia
    Associated Press
    GREEN BAY, Wis. - Two men carried out a scheme to sell sports memorabilia supposedly signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre but the signatures were fabricated reproductions, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

Michael "Whitey" Van Lanen, 49, of Green Bay, and Paul J. Vidani III, 59, of De Pere, were accused of selling more than $10,000 worth of bogus Favre memorabilia since at least December 2004, Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager said in announcing criminal charges.

Van Lanen owns All Sports Marketing in Green Bay, and Vidani manufactured the bogus goods at his printing business, Green Bay Blue in Green Bay, according to a criminal complaint filed in Brown County Circuit Court.

"It is illegal to sell fraudulent memorabilia in Wisconsin, and it certainly goes against the grain of this state to attempt to defraud Packer fans who buy such mementos in good faith," Lautenschlager said. "Through this case, we aim to seek justice for Brett Favre fans who may have been unwittingly defrauded at this particular store."

Van Lanen and Vidani were charged with theft by fraud, identity theft and trafficking in counterfeit trademarks - felonies punishable by up to 22 years in prison, Lautenschlager said.

Van Lanen's wife, Cynthia, 50, was charged with providing false information to investigators, the attorney general said.

The complaint accuses the men of using Favre's signature without his authorization on large framed prints sold by All Sports Marketing and selling them to dozens of victims.

According to the complaint, Vindani's business made numerous prints containing a copy of Favre's autograph for Van Lanen. The prints were affixed with a Favre hologram and often accompanied by a certificate of authenticity or a photo showing Favre purportedly signing the print in a ruse to make them appear authentic, the complaint said.

One such print - Night to Remember - commemorated Favre's game against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football the day after his father died, the complaint said.

Favre told investigators that he did not authorize the defendants to reproduce his signature and sell it to customers as authentic, the complaint said.

Favre has registered his name, likeness and signature as trademarks under Wisconsin law.

Vidani's attorney, Shane Brabazon, said his client would vigorously fight the charges. "He is adamant that he is innocent."

Vidani, a businessman in town for 30 years and die-hard Packers fan, believed Van Lanen had the needed approvals for selling reproductions, the attorney said. "Clearly, the evidence shows my client had no part in any attempt to deceive purchasers or customers."

Van Lanen's attorney, Steve Glynn, did not immediately return a telephone message Tuesday left at his Milwaukee office.

No other Favre merchandise or memorabilia, including signed footballs, jerseys and helmets, were part of the investigation that included a raid on All Sports Marketing in January, Lautenschlager said.

The Packers issued a statement Tuesday saying the team was aware of the charges, but neither the team nor Favre would comment further until the judicial process ends.

ON THE NET

Wisconsin Department of Justice: http://www.doj.state.wi.us

ATTORNEY GENERAL PEG LAUTENSCHLAGER FILES CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST PEDDLERS OF ALLEGEDLY FRAUDULENT BRETT FAVRE MEMORABILIA
    Charges Announced At News Conference in Brown County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    August 8, 2006
    GREEN BAY – Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager announced at a news conference today at the Brown County Courthouse the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) has filed felony charges against two Green Bay merchants who allegedly defrauded dozens of people by manufacturing and selling framed prints purportedly signed by Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre -- but which the state asserts were fabricated reproductions passed off as genuine.

Charged in the criminal complaint filed in Brown County Circuit Court were Michael D. “Whitey” Van Lanen, 49, of Green Bay, who allegedly sold the prints from his sports merchandise shop a few hundred yards from Lambeau Field, and Paul J. (“P.J.”) Vidani, III, 59, of De Pere, who allegedly manufactured the prints at his nearby printing business, Green Bay Blue, located at 2240 Holmgren Way in Green Bay. Also charged was Van Lanens’ wife, Cynthia A. Van Lanen, 50, of Green Bay, who allegedly provided false information to investigators.

“It is illegal to sell fraudulent memorabilia in Wisconsin, and it certainly goes against the grain of this state to attempt to defraud Packer fans who buy such mementos in good faith,” Lautenschlager said. “Through this case, we aim to seek justice for Brett Favre fans who may have been unwittingly defrauded at this particular store.”

Wisconsin Department of Justice - Division of Criminal Investigation agents investigated the case.

Neither the Green Bay Packers organization nor Brett Favre was involved with this alleged wrongdoing in any way. The Department of Justice respectfully requests that calls or inquiries NOT be made to the Packers with regard to this matter.

The criminal complaint charges Michael Van Lanen and Paul Vidani with selling more than $10,000 worth of fraudulent Favre memorabilia to unsuspecting customers beginning at least as early as December 2004. The scheme was stopped on January 20, 2006, when the Department of Justice executed a search warrant at All Sports Marketing, the merchandise shop owned by the Van Lanens at 2039 Holmgren Way in Green Bay.

The complaint also alleges that each of the fraudulent sales during this period amounted to identity theft, in that the defendants allegedly used the unique signature of Brett Favre without his authorization and for their own benefit. Favre confirmed with investigators that he did not authorize the defendants to reproduce his signature and sell it to customers as authentic.

The complaint further alleges that certain purchases made by undercover agents during the investigation amounted to criminal violations of Wisconsin trademark law. Favre has registered his name, likeness and signature as trademarks under Wisconsin law.

According to the complaint, Vidani’s business manufactured numerous prints for Michael Van Lanen containing a copy of Favre’s autograph, which in turn were affixed with a “Brett Favre” hologram and sold by Van Lanen as authentic, often times accompanied by a certificate of authenticity, or a photograph of Favre purportedly signing the print. One such print was entitled “Night to Remember,” and commemorated Favre’s memorable game against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football the day after his father died.

Department of Justice officials emphasized that this criminal case focuses on larger framed prints sold by All Sports Marketing that purport to contain an authentic Brett Favre signature. No other Favre merchandise or memorabilia is a part of the investigation. For example, smaller prints, such as 8 ½ by 11 inch prints, or any print sold without a frame, are not a part of the case.

Likewise, any signed items that are not prints – such as signed footballs, jerseys, and helmets – are also beyond the scope of the criminal complaint. Anyone who purchased larger framed prints containing a Favre signature from All Sports Marketing, however, may be a victim of the alleged fraud. Lautenschlager encouraged such individuals to contact the toll-free Department of Justice Consumer Protection helpline at (800) 998-0700.

If convicted, defendants Michael Van Lanen and Paul Vidani face a maximum penalty of ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine with regard to the theft by fraud charges, a maximum penalty of six years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of the identify theft charges, and a maximum penalty of six years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted of trafficking in counterfeit trademarks. Defendant Cynthia Van Lanen faces a maximum penalty of nine months in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of lying to investigators.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant Attorneys General Eric J. Wilson and Erik M. Kinnunen, as Special Prosecutors for Brown County by agreement with the Brown County District Attorney. Defendants are presumed innocent until or unless found guilty in a court of law.

Eric,

Thanks for posting these. I wonder if Rick Radtke had anything to do with getting this investigation going ... I think he has the exclusive autograph deal with Favre. I know how hard it can be to get an exclusive deal with a top name player, so I have to think that it is infuriating when you see others selling items (real or fake) related to your player-client.

Very interesting stuff. You have to feel bad for all of the collectors who were allegedly duped.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

If Radtke were involved, perhaps he might go after whomever was selling the Falcons Vick jersey in Historic Auctions which was dated 1/1/06 when he had the same one from Vick in his possession

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ighlight=radke

Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury
    Eric,

Thanks for posting these. I wonder if Rick Radtke had anything to do with getting this investigation going ... I think he has the exclusive autograph deal with Favre. I know how hard it can be to get an exclusive deal with a top name player, so I have to think that it is infuriating when you see others selling items (real or fake) related to your player-client.

Very interesting stuff. You have to feel bad for all of the collectors who were allegedly duped.

Reid
    Reid, Rick Radke does not have an exclusive with Brett Favre. Favre does his signings through his private pilot. Anyone who contacts the pilot can work a deal. Dave Thomason is the pilot and he is mentioned in the article.

Banned

What I find interesting about it is even though it is cpletely wrong what they did. At the same time its not like they were making millions off the public selling forgeries. As these 2 gentleman need to held accountable for what they did. I don't really see it being super newsworthy.

I mean seriously do the math - these guys made $10,000 over 2 years, between 2 guys thats $2,500 over a year span. Not exacly a ton of money to go out and put a down payment on a new ferrari.

My point is it makes you wonder if they were really trying to rip people off when they werent really seeing that great of a return. I wonder if these guys are actually guilty of fraud or were they just possibly selling something possibly advertised without knowing it was misleading????

I mean if you really wanted to rip people off for forgeries you can always do Mickey Mantle, Pujols, or ARod which will always commands premium sale prices???? and bring in a whole lot more than $2,500 a year

JUST A THOUGHT???? Playing devils advocate

Joel,

Thanks. Didn't Rick once have the exclusive? I thought brettfavreautographs.com was his. Did I imagine this?

Thanks for the info.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    If Radtke were involved, perhaps he might go after whomever was selling the Falcons Vick jersey in Historic Auctions which was dated 1/1/06 when he had the same one from Vick in his possession
    Eric
    I have no personal knowledge of Vick's jersey habits, but there are players that change jerseys at Halftime. Could it be possible that he wore more than 1 jersey per game.

We all remember when Palmeiro did this with his jerseys.

radtke

Re: Historic Auctions Update
    To Whitney and all Collectors interested in the Michael Vick Game Used items in Historic Auctions:

The Michael Vick Helmet and Jersey in the Historic Auctions is a fake. We are not angry at Michael because we have photo matched the jersey to Getty Images view image #'s 56509744 and 56509725. We posted the jersey on Ebay for you to view item #8832340689. We have nothing to hide. Who do you trust Michael Vick or a "rock solid source"? Mike personally gave the jersey and the helmet to us, signed and dated both with a photo of him holding them up, and signed a letter stating their HIS items. I think I would trust Michael and Getty before purchasing from someone who uses an "impeccable source" as an authenticator. I feel sorry for the people who are going to get ripped off by these fakes.