Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Is there any way to tell if...

Is there any ways to tell if a bat is used during batting practice?

Re: Is there any way to tell if...

Some teams used to use green-ink practice baseballs which transfered to bats fairly easy. Most teams today use regular blue-ink baseballs but under the MLB logo it says "PRACTICE". I've seen a few bats with the transfer of that part of the ball.

Also, consistent ball marks in a general area is a sign of BP use. And some players use different bats in BP (sort of like how A-Rod uses blonde bats in BP and black bats in games).

i look for many white ball marks, bp balls are not rubbed up with mud so they leave distinct white marks, game balls usually only leave seam marks

Banned

Oh. I have a Mitch Moreland bat in which is hammered on one side with seam marks. I thought maybe it was bp bat and game bat but around the seam marks there are no ball marks? So is this common?

Seam marks don't happen from bp only with guys throwing 90 or whatever

Banned

Ok. Thanks you guys! I bet most rookies and young players such as Moreland use the same bat in BP than in the game

Make sure you view as many photos of the players you collect as possible. The bat manufacturer, coating requested by the player, player prefences regarding BP vs game bats, the way the player swings all differ greatly and affect how the bats look. I have take BP tape off a few bats only to find MLB logo ball marks beneath the BP tape. My Richie Sexson game bats are all covered in white ball marks and so are most of the bats he is pictured with in MLB games. My Griffey bats are not covered in white marks nor are most of the bats in his MLB pics. Get to know the characteristics of the players in your collection and you will be able to spot legit game bats in a minute.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    Seam marks don't happen from bp only with guys throwing 90 or whatever
    Thats not entirely true. Just like when someone says bp bats dont crack. I saw Hamilton this year break a bat in half during bp. Pretty sure he can leave seam marks on a bat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by subway22 View Post
    Thats not entirely true. Just like when someone says bp bats dont crack. I saw Hamilton this year break a bat in half during bp. Pretty sure he can leave seam marks on a bat as well.
    No they dont. Sometimes you see a seam mark inside of a ball mark if that makes any sense. But an actual impression into the barrel only happens in games. And ya i know people crack/break bats in bp. Bryce Harper broke two during the aflac all american game.

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    No they dont. Sometimes you see a seam mark inside of a ball mark if that makes any sense. But an actual impression into the barrel only happens in games. And ya i know people crack/break bats in bp. Bryce Harper broke two during the aflac all american game.
    Broke 2 during aflac all american bp meant to say