Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Baseball Jersey - Can Someone Explain This?

First off, I know little or nothing about baseball jerseys...other than what I might pick up on this board.

Someone sent me this link today.

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=776

I've read it a few times over and it still makes no sense to me. Is Mr. Grob saying that a patch and a laundry marker 2 was added to a 1975 Rose jersey to make it look like a 1976 Rose jersey?

What would be the point? Didn't the Reds win the Series both years? Does a patch and 2 make it more valuable than the 1975 version? Did Rose have a significantly better statistical season or post season in 1976?

Re: Baseball Jersey - Can Someone Explain This?

That's what it sounds like to me. But it seems the seller is the only one who can answer what the reasoning was because I don't think anyone would place a higher value on the 76 jersey just because it had the patch. Statistically both years were similar for Rose, an all-star both years and top 5 in MVP voting in both as well. Numbers across the board were pretty close in almost all categories. Rose was World Series MVP in 75 which (at least to me) would make the 75 jersey more attractive.

What would possess someone to alter a Mears authenticated 75 Rose to a fake 76 is beyond my (and I assume most others) comprehension. But I'm sure Dave has no idea why this was done and did the only thing he could do in alerting people that it was actually done. The tags are clearly the same.

Very interesting read. This is the very reason I have decided not to puchase older game used. I have been burnt a few times. Thanks to the great people at gameuseduniverse I have been educated. Have a Great Holiday guys and thanks for helping me save $$$!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Looking for Cincinnati Reds Game Used.....Please help me !!! kentuckywildcatzz@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    What would possess someone to alter a Mears authenticated 75 Rose to a fake 76 is beyond my (and I assume most others) comprehension.

Here's a thought......maybe Greg should enlighten us on the reason.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Baseball Jersey - Can Someone Explain This?

The handwritten "2" looks to be an effort to mimic the handwritten set numbers often (though not always) inscribed on mid-1970s Reds road Wilson gamers since the style at the time did not employ year/set strip tags like they did in the late 1970's and through 1984. Said "2", however, is noticeably different than the numbers the team actually added to the tag. In the majority of such instances, the number was written in red, not black; the handwriting style of the "2" was more rounded and less jagged than this exemplar, and was centered on the Wilosn tag, not off to one side as this tag shows.

Why this was done, I have no clue, but Dave Grob was correct in pointing this flaw out to other hobbyists.

Dave Miedema

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Looking for Cincinnati Reds Game Used.....Please help me !!! kentuckywildcatzz@hotmail.com

The 1976 BiCentennial bats typically sell at a premium being a one year style and the Nation's 200th year birthday. Perhaps the presence of the 76 patch on the jersey adds some premium to the jersey too?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

That's why I love the internet, instant information.

The 76 Reds are one of the greatest of all time , Like the 27 Yankees , would a jersey from Ruth or Gehrig from the 27 season not bring a premium compared to a 1926 or 28 jersey . The Reds commons from 76 bring a premium , so one would assume a Rose jersey would also.

While I was a bit young at the time to have a first hand opinion on 75 vs 76 Reds, I've always heard the 75 team as being considered the better of the 2. And consistently being mentioned in the top 10 teams of all time. I won't argue the point either way, if you say 76 was one of the all time great teams. I've just always heard it the other way around. Which is why this alteration continues to baffle me.