Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Score Board History

One freighter crate, sealed, untouched with a broken seal....full of gem mint, razor sharp corners, 1993 Shaq gold prism rookie cards! The Next 3 callers get'em. Call now....only 3 crates left. Our distributor is out. Folks-nobody's got these...

Scratch everything from my 2 previous posts...NOT Kenny Goldin. The sports collectible guru that I spent many a night watching in the early 1990s is DON WEST. Don West was the one satired on Saturday Night Live! I just discovered http:www.donwest.org
    This is the site with the video clips that I think Joel is referring to...

Don would lay ungraded baseball cards right on the table, and ask the audience: "What will you give me for this '62 Clemente?" Hard to believe this was less than 15 years ago. This was small-time. I don't believe he was National at that time. Does anyone have any knowledge of the pictured show from "Cheap Seats"? How did I miss it! Inside humor at it's peak...

Banned

Isn't Cheap Seats the best show on television today?

Here is the link for Don West videos.

When you play the videos, you'll see he calls Kenny who helps sell the merchandise. Kenny is none other than The Score Board's Ken Goldin. Ken used to be a great customer of mine. He would pay the most for 1986-87 Fleer Jordan rookies because he was selling them for the most. He also bought Griffey, Jr. rookies like no one could imagine.

http://www.donwest.org/

Fun, fun, fun!

Hey Everyone,

I can say I even remember watching this guy on TV I believe in the late 1990s or so when I was in my early 20s. The thing that amazed me the most is how his voice gets gradually higher in pitch the more excited he would get.

I also watched some of those videos on that website. Absolutely hillarious! Of course some of those are from the early days. I recognize him in his post-moustache years.

Great, great stuff!

Tim Byington
    www.tjsportsmn.com

Joel and Warren...

Hysterical! That website is worth checking out, as well.

A great place to start is at the bottom of the page:
    STILL OFF THE AIR
    05-01-2001

Don is still off the air. Read
    this if you're unaware of the crisis.
    Listen to what the lovely Kearstin at Shop at Home has to say about it.

The call to Kearstin reminds me of a bad Jerky Boys track.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I had forgotten how much Don West sounded like Chris Farley (particulary when Chris played the character Matt Foley, thrice divorced and living in a van down by the river!).
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I want to ressurect this thread to add a couple thoughts about the Score Board Canseco jerseys. First of all I'm not 100% sure Canseco wore a size 50 in 1990. I have always seen him wear size 46 to 48. I'm not sure I've ever seen an authentic Canseco 1990 jersey though so it's hard to say. Also, I've seen a lot of these 1990 Score Board jerseys and they are all signed in the same area. However, some are signed in blue and others in black. I found that a little odd. It's a shame that these are being mistaken for the game used.

Does anyone own a real game used 1990 Canseco jersey?

-Jason

does the scoreboard 1990 Canseco jerseys have the velcro inbetween the 2nd and 3rd button? I have a 1990 Canseco jersey that does have the velcro. it would just seem werid, that scoreboard would but the velcro on for a game issued jersey. thanks Dan

dan and jason,

as you both know, those scoreboard 1990 home cansecos with the "2 90" tag are everywhere. there are literally dozens of them out there. most are usually autographed. personally, this fact alone would make me completely avoid any 1990 home canseco with the "2 90" label.

scoreboard made impressively detailed jerseys. their 1989 bo jackson has the perfect vertically arched nob. the cansecos are tagged perfectly. these weren't the standard retail issue. they had pro tags, sewn inside the jerseys. they came from someone with the ability to order such jerseys from rawlings. as such, i believe they were authentic in almost every detail.

jason, i agree that it's unlikely that canseco wore a 50 in 1990. as both you and dan have seen, canseco wore 46's and 48's from the early to mid 90s.

dan you asked about the velcro. it wasn't scoreboard that made these jerseys. it would've have been them that put the velcro on. someone ordered them from rawlings in order to sell via scoreboard. perhaps it was the players themselves or their reps. as i said, the jerseys are pro-spec in practically every sense. therefore, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see velcro.

here is a 1989 scoreboard bo jackson:

www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=27239

notice it has the velcro closures.

lelands JUST sold a 1990 "2 90" home canseco:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=611&lot=672

and wow wee, here's yet another one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230068423764

the one on ebay notes that it has the velcro fasteners. to answer your question dan, i believe that because these were pro-spec jerseys ordered from rawlings, they did include the velcro closures even though they were being offered for retail sale via scoreboard.

if i was in the market for a 1990 canseco, i'd look for a road jersey.

rudy.

For what it's worth, I have a retail A's jersey from that era and it does have the velcro. I wouldn't mind getting one of those ScoreBoard jerseys for my collection until I can find a gamer. I just don't want to pay game used prices. Furthermore it appears the one on ebay has dirt stains on it to simulate game use. So if I bought that one I'd have to have it cleaned.

One more thing. Do the Score Boards have the extra 2 inches of length? I can't tell by the photos I've seen and there's no tag specifying.

-Jason M