X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • April 10, 1962
    • Jul 2009

Re: Ebay Seller jerseys2003

Originally posted by DantleyHOF
    Like Lastings said supply and demand. Astros can't stop people from buying even if they abused the ten jersey limit. As a business point of view. As store owner you want to clear out old stock and start fresh. Astros in the past was hard to obtain gamers. You are right. What was on display was a small sample what they have. Two racks of jerseys. I find it funny to see a whole bunch of Adam Everett bats and it didn't sell for 40.00 the first time around. Astros reduced it to 20.00 and they still had a stack full of his bats. At ten dollars its gone. Alou bat was not even used. When you went. Did they have the Rainbow turn back the clock jersey? B.F.
    I was quick at lunch. In and out...back to nearby work. Got me a nice white alternate, #9 Huffman. Will look cool on the wall.

Comment

• DantleyHOF
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by April 10, 1962
      I was quick at lunch. In and out...back to nearby work. Got me a nice white alternate, #9 Huffman. Will look cool on the wall.
      Great pick up. Have a great holiday you and your whole family. B.F.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

This jersey excess story reminds me of a few I've experienced.

First, the Cubs Convention in 1995. Only one rack with maybe two dozen jerseys and the first guy to get there (Wrigley autograph hound who is less than popular among his peers) swoops his arms and grabls ALL 20+ jerseys to get first dibs. Several fans (most not serious hobbyists) immediately squawk to the point where the head of the sale confronts the offender and tells him to put the jerseys back on the rack or be barred from the sale for the rest of the event. A +1 there.

Second: An early 2000's White Sox garage sale, when they were held in the bowels of Comiskey Park. Among the first 10 fans in line with a few friends, the walkway we were in, which curved around the field, found us (and a few in back of us) able to see a moderate distance the other direction in the walkway. We soon saw a Chicag-area game-used dealer being driven to the door of the sale on a groundskeeper's cart by team personnel. My friend and I all knew the guy, and we were busting a gut at the sheer silliness of the whole thing, but two guys near us in line also saw it, and were very irate, heaving complaints at Sox security guards up front, who denied involvement with the decision to give this dealer breaks.

Third: Cubs and White Sox sales, for a number of years...an SCD writer continuously used his press pass to gain early access to the sales to buy items before the fans got in. I've been told that he hasn't gained this advance viewing for a couple of years now, apparently due to complaints from both regular fans and serious game-used collectors.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• DantleyHOF
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
          This jersey excess story reminds me of a few I've experienced.

First, the Cubs Convention in 1995. Only one rack with maybe two dozen jerseys and the first guy to get there (Wrigley autograph hound who is less than popular among his peers) swoops his arms and grabls ALL 20+ jerseys to get first dibs. Several fans (most not serious hobbyists) immediately squawk to the point where the head of the sale confronts the offender and tells him to put the jerseys back on the rack or be barred from the sale for the rest of the event. A +1 there.

Second: An early 2000's White Sox garage sale, when they were held in the bowels of Comiskey Park. Among the first 10 fans in line with a few friends, the walkway we were in, which curved around the field, found us (and a few in back of us) able to see a moderate distance the other direction in the walkway. We soon saw a Chicag-area game-used dealer being driven to the door of the sale on a groundskeeper's cart by team personnel. My friend and I all knew the guy, and we were busting a gut at the sheer silliness of the whole thing, but two guys near us in line also saw it, and were very irate, heaving complaints at Sox security guards up front, who denied involvement with the decision to give this dealer breaks.

Third: Cubs and White Sox sales, for a number of years...an SCD writer continuously used his press pass to gain early access to the sales to buy items before the fans got in. I've been told that he hasn't gained this advance viewing for a couple of years now, apparently due to complaints from both regular fans and serious game-used collectors.

Dave Miedema
          Dave,
          Did you know Yoshi of the Cubs? Don't the Cubs and White Sox make a 3 jersey limit and pretty strict about it? Bad weather and you still have loyal fans coming to the Cubs conventions. Dave didn't you write a story in SCD on the White Sox sale and the person with the cart?

I find it funny from the Astros game used player jerseys SALE. What was left over after the person got around 20 jerseys and more. The bat boy and stretch suba jersey was left. Guess the dealer didn't find a market in those. Happy Holidays to you and your whole family and a happy new year. B.F.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DantleyHOF
            Dave,
            Did you know Yoshi of the Cubs? Don't the Cubs and White Sox make a 3 jersey limit and pretty strict about it? Bad weather and you still have loyal fans coming to the Cubs conventions. Dave didn't you write a story in SCD on the White Sox sale and the person with the cart?

I find it funny from the Astros game used player jerseys SALE. What was left over after the person got around 20 jerseys and more. The bat boy and stretch suba jersey was left. Guess the dealer didn't find a market in those. Happy Holidays to you and your whole family and a happy new year. B.F.
            I think the "cart" episode occurred after SCD figuratively stuck the knife in my back, hence, with me gone, no article.

I've never seen a jersey limit for buyers at either team convention. Where the Cubs and the White Sox used to enforce purchase limits were at the team stores both ballclubs had in the 1990s in the Chicago area.

Also, I am acquainted with Yosh, for decades the Cubs equipment man. I get along with him OK, although there are numerous collectors and former players whose thoughts about him couldn't be printed in a family discussion.

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...