Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2011 Spring Training Thread

BUMP!

i have booked the weekend of Feb 25th, trying to go a second time the weekend of march 18th
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by scootmagroot View Post
    I go to AZ for spring training every year. Usually come away with something from a player. I will probably make 2 trips again this year.....once before the games start, and once for the games. The players have always been real cool during ST....back in HS, we gave some walkie talkies to a Padres player and he took it into the dugout during the game and BS'd with us during their at bat.

As far as places to go in AZ, last year Jake Peavy took my friend and I to a country type bar right near the fields in Peoria (he still rents a place next to the fields). There is quite a few places right around the Peoria complex that a lot of players go to.

Christie's is a good place to go too..........if you're over 21.
    Wonder if Peavy will be at the same place this year being there with the White Sox...

I am just getting geared up for my 2011 Spring Training Sabbatical.

Like every year, it will be in AZ - but I don't have to go down to Tucson for games this time! Just to see mom and the brothers - 2 of 3, oldest lives in Surprise.

Looking (as usual) at the next to last week (Mar 19th - 26th) and it has always been good for me...

Everything I'm looking to get done this year revolves around the Rangers and Rockies (as usual) but I need to catch up to Jayson Nix w/ White Sox for one needed auto on a card for a set.

I will start (again as usual) my own thread when time is closer, but would love to meet up with some of you guys down there!

Once I get everything in line, I will put up dates, itinerary, etc... but 1st the wife and I have a quick early Feb trip to Vegas planned!!!

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Wonder if Peavy will be at the same place this year being there with the White Sox...

This was last year when he was with the Sox. He said he liked the place and he was there from his beginning with the Padres, so I would assume so.

We're headed to Fort Myers to spring training for the first time. The two scheduled games that we are going to are 1 o'clock games in mid March. I would love to hear any suggestions on any "must-do" items, best ways to catch players, as well as things to avoid doing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Phoenix and will be at the Mariners practice fields throughout March. Look for the guy with the bag of Mariner game bats, stop by and say hi!
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Banned

Exclamation Re: 2011 Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mwbosoxfan View Post
    We're headed to Fort Myers to spring training for the first time. The two scheduled games that we are going to are 1 o'clock games in mid March. I would love to hear any suggestions on any "must-do" items, best ways to catch players, as well as things to avoid doing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Beyond left field is a practice diamond which produces a decent number of BP home runs over its left field fence. There are nets up but many go over or through them. Two biggest obstacles to a productive day: 1) kids, many of whom will flock to you and stand next to and around you if you're lucky enough to catfch one or two; (2) Ballhawks from Chicago, most of whom will try to catch everything that comes out, and will think nothing of "pimping" you (running or reaching in front of you to steal a baseball you have a shot at). Also, there is a medical facility parking lot across the street in left field, and, sometimes, a facility employee or security guard will restrict you from sprinting into the parking lot to chase or catch fly balls.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Beyond left field is a practice diamond which produces a decent number of BP home runs over its left field fence. There are nets up but many go over or through them. Two biggest obstacles to a productive day: 1) kids, many of whom will flock to you and stand next to and around you if you're lucky enough to catfch one or two; (2) Ballhawks from Chicago, most of whom will try to catch everything that comes out, and will think nothing of "pimping" you (running or reaching in front of you to steal a baseball you have a shot at). Also, there is a medical facility parking lot across the street in left field, and, sometimes, a facility employee or security guard will restrict you from sprinting into the parking lot to chase or catch fly balls.

Dave Miedema
    Dave- Thanks for the tips. On a 1 o'clock game in mid March, how early does any activity start on the practice fields and how open is the entire facility. Thanks again.

John

Banned

Exclamation Re: 2011 Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mwbosoxfan View Post
    Dave- Thanks for the tips. On a 1 o'clock game in mid March, how early does any activity start on the practice fields and how open is the entire facility. Thanks again.

John
    Don;t recall specifics inside the stadium...but the lot i mentioned can have action as early as 10-11 AM.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Don;t recall specifics inside the stadium...but the lot i mentioned can have action as early as 10-11 AM.

Dave Miedema
    Dave- Thanks for the info!

John