Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2011 Spring Training Thread

Hey guys, with 2011 just around the corner I thought I'd start a spring training thread.

I am in the midst of trying to pinpoint the weekend, (2 weekend(s) hopefully)
    that I will make my favorite mecca.

As a San Franciscan and Giants fan, I am worried about how crowded ST will be. That being said I am thinking of going the weekend of February 25th as my first trip down to AZ to avoid the Giants WS traffic in March.

Spring Training is my favorite time of the year, lots of opportunities for autos and getting game used stuff from players, and since I am younger, if I'm lucky maybe having the chance to batboy (have 1 time each of the last 3 years).

While I'm in the PHX area, I love to go to Don and Charlies where, in the last 3 years and in minimal visits I have met Muhammed Ali, Joe Torre, Rollie Fingers, Aaron Rowand, Lou Pinella and others. It is a hotspot to see your favorite players.

I'd like to know where everyone thinks is the best spot to stay (for decently cheap), eateries, and hotspots to get autos and game used, and also what to do after games.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

Re: 2011 Spring Training Thread

Good idea for a thread. I am heading to Phoenix in early March for Indians Spring Training. I have never done Spring Training so I would be interested in others' insights as well.

I don't have the date but around early March at the Goodyear complex, the Reds and Indians have a Fanfest, whereas you can get the teams during their practice times within the stadium. Last year the reds were early morning and around 11:00 am the Indians came out to practice. The Padres and Mariners also have fanfests. Check schedules or call the ballparks.

my brother, a friend and i are trying to head down to the tampa st.pete area for a week during spring training to catch some games around mid march since theres a few teams in that area yankees mostly
    Always looking for anything John Flaherty, Drew Storen and Marcell Ozuna game used.
    jaeger_danny@yahoo.com

I have been down to Florida several times for ST. One thing I learned after a couple of years is to decide what you are going for mostly? If you are going for autographs, player interaction, ect., then definately the best time to go is the very start of ST. Mid February or so. All the teams I have been to, once the games begin, its not as easy for autographs and close up player interaction.

Right when ST begins, the crowds are less and you can get right up close to most players and they were very approachable on the practice fields.

Jason

I'll be in Goodyear for the Reds! Also looking forward to seeing Josh Willingham on the A's. I'd like to find out the best way to try and acquire some GU from my favorite players.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I've seen several players at the Tilted Kilt after games in Peoria, AZ.

Bump
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

i agree with stlbats, the best time to go if your going for autos is the 1st week or 2 when pitchers and catchers arrive. I go to Rays spring training every year and for the most part a lot of the position players report at the same time as pitchers and catchers and you dont have to deal with all the crowds. usually for that 1st week theres at most 25 fans there looking for sigs.

I go to AZ for spring training every year. Usually come away with something from a player. I will probably make 2 trips again this year.....once before the games start, and once for the games. The players have always been real cool during ST....back in HS, we gave some walkie talkies to a Padres player and he took it into the dugout during the game and BS'd with us during their at bat.

As far as places to go in AZ, last year Jake Peavy took my friend and I to a country type bar right near the fields in Peoria (he still rents a place next to the fields). There is quite a few places right around the Peoria complex that a lot of players go to.

Christie's is a good place to go too..........if you're over 21.