Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cal Ripken bat on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180016527222

What do folks think about this bat? I emailed the seller about the length and weight. He replied:

"Length 35 inches
    Weight???? worth it in gold. Same as every other
    professional model wood bat I guess...No way to
    weight it accurately here."

This reply seemed straightforward enough to me (not everyone has a scale that weighs to the ounce). I hesitate because I'd like to know the weight and also because of the criss-cross tape. Does anyone have photos of Ripken using a bat with criss-cross tape? I've looked through my Rip photos and couldn't find one. I look forward to your observations/thoughts.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Re: Cal Ripken bat on eBay

I have photographic evidence of Cal using bats with criss crossed tape (though I have to admit that taped bats were not the norm for Rip).

Bill,

Thanks. What do you think of this bat? I am inclined to bid on it, though would still like to know the weight.

Thanks again.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Hi Reid--

Here is some food for thought--

Ripken's 35 inch P72 models in 1986 - 1989 were in a variety of finishes, including Natural, walker, Flame treated/burned, Hickory, etc.... the photos seem to look like the bat is unfinished, which appear documented in his records from May 1989 to July 1988....48 bats in all.... P72 35'/33 oz.

There is no record of 35" "none' (no finish) P72 shipped to any promo company until Jan, 1990, when 48 went to Anaconda-Kaye.... more unfinished 35' P72 Ripkens went to various places other than to Cal from mid-1990 forward.

I like the photo evidence mentioned of the taping, and it is probably worth a call to the seller to see if he can provide any additional provenance like a xerox of his old photographers pass, a pic of him on the field, or smething like that...

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Mike,

Thanks. So it sounds like it may match the factory records, depending on the weight. For the bats that went to Anaconda- Kaye, were they of the 1986-89 marking variety, or of the 1990 variety (with no Louisville Slugger under Rip's name), both, or is it impossible to know?

Thanks again,
    Reid

That is the "worth it's weight in gold" question, Reid, and there is no good way to tell on this one. 1986-1989 pro labeling was used into the mid-1990's for bats sent to some minor league teams, often with many of the players names that were sold top Anaconda Kaye during the period. As you know, 1986 to 1989 Louisville Sluggers demand thorough research and examination both for professional use and individual player game used characteristics. I would like to see the photo-referenced Ripken tap job mentioned above posted in this thread. Ripken was, as stated, not particularly known for taping, and that would lend alot od credibility to the bat in my opinion, as that would be a difficult thing to "manufacture" given the vintage condition of the tape, the pine tar overlap, etc.

Good Luck, Reid.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Hello Reid:

For what it is worth, I know Alan the seller in this auction was indeed a photographer at Memorial Stadium during the mid to late 1980's. In fact I have seen a picture of him photographing on the sidelines at Memorial Stadium. I am sure he would be willing to show you a picture or two if you asked. Don't know if he has any old press passes but you might ask. I too questioned this bat specifically due to the tape job on the handle. Bill is right, there have been instances where Cal taped a handle I remember notebly on a Rochester Redwings 1981 P72 that sold at Edwards Auctions with a taped handle a couple months back. I was thinking perhaps this was more of a minor league/early career thing. If Bill has the photos of that I would feel better about this bat. Hope that helps. This is a great price for a Ripken if there are no problems with it.

Thanks
    Brett Herman
    brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Mike and Brett,

Thanks very much - I agree on all points.
    Bill,

is there any way you could post the photo(s) you mentioned or email it/them to me at rgf2@hotmail.com?

Thanks to all of you.

Reid

No bidders. I wonder if we all just missed out on a great buy.

The main reason I didn't bid is no one else did....I felt like people knew something I didn't?????

Bill