Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: What is a good move or bad move on Palmerio's part?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Move

2 13.33%
  • Bad Move

13 86.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Palmeiro still insists he never used steroids

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Well said Boston but please consider this - imagine going into work one day and your employer asks you for a urine test. Your whole career you've done the right thing, never been a problem and you're close to retirement. The test comes back positive and then what? The story peaks and then goes away without any further information or closure.

Time marches on and all everyone knows or remembers is that you came back positive on a "single test" (which has been revised because of its many false positives) and you're lumped in with all the other "suspects". So, instead of being judged for your actions, you're now being judged on personal feelings and that's NOT the way it should be.

Not only did MLB fail the players, they failed the game and its fans. Members of this forum (Boston, express and others) could have conducted a better investigation than MLB baseball did. Why did MLB fail? Who knows but with their hundreds of attorneys, investigators and bottomless pit of resources, one would have thought they could have done a better job with the investigation. The whole affair reminds me of the McCarthy hearings (which by the way netted ZERO arrests) and all we are left to do is "Profile" players who may have been users just because their name appeared on a list.

Just an opinion - hope I didn't offend.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Jim, All excellent points, I agree MLB should have done a better job. I am honestly not sure what Palmeiro could have done, but after the positive test and once the season ended, he disappeared off the face of the earth. If he was in fact innocent, then he should have gone to whatever lengths were necessary to attempt to clear his name including demanding to be retested or have the B sample tested or whatever he needed to do.

While everyone responds to adversity differently, crawing under a rock and disappearing did little to help clear his name. We literally have heard from him about two or three times all via phone interview over the past five years. Nobody seems to know where the guy is at. I guess at the end of the day, that is why many people just assume that he is guilty as charged in addition to the positive test.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSportsFan View Post
    I am honestly not sure what Palmeiro could have done, but after the positive test and once the season ended, he disappeared off the face of the earth. If he was in fact innocent, then he should have gone to whatever lengths were necessary to attempt to clear his name including demanding to be retested or have the B sample tested or whatever he needed to do.
    Well said!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Well the votes are in and he received 11% of the vote. I thought it would be slightly higher myself (closer to 15%), but I knew it would be low.

It will be interesting to see how Clemens and Bonds do when there up in a few years. I figured it would be 40-50% prior to this vote. Now I would think closer to 30% for each of them on the first try.

Chris

Banned

I feel the Sports Writers should be in charge of airport security. Since they can "profile" athletes as "users" without any real evidence, perhaps they can take those talents and make it easier for all of us at the airports.

Just an opinion,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Will Clark never put up the numbers that Palmeiro did, but in my eyes he's the true HOF'er. Although he didn't have the numbers to get into the Hall, he left baseball at the top of his game to spend more time with family. What does that say about the man? I know that this post is about Palmeiro, but I think the Hall should consider "character" as part of their voting process. As one member mentioned, Palmeiro is a jack-ass. From my 2 encounters with Will, he's been nothing but a class act.

Clark put it best when he was commenting on Palmeiro's positive drug test:
    "You got caught partner!"

Its funny how the sportswriters think they are God. The majority of them have never picked up a bat in their life. I think the Hall of Fame is a joke that Rose is not in. So the "hit king", Home run king Bonds/ AROD, and one of the best pitchers Clemens , catchers Piazza /Rodriguez , never will be in the Hall. The Hall of Fame will be a big joke. There are a lot of players in already who broke the law, did drugs, and other immoral things. The fact that the media is constantly on these athletes of today that there are more things out in the public. Do you think there are athletes in the football hall of fame that used?

Banned

I feel the Sports Writers should be in charge of airport security. Since they can "profile" athletes as "users" without any real evidence, perhaps they can take those talents and make it easier for all of us at the airports.

Just an opinion,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

+1

Dave Miedema

Banned

The voting system is way off, but that is why it is called the National Baseball Hall Of Fame. I believe the HOFers, and a "Past Players committee" should be put together at random and vote on the top players per year. Each committee should be changed per year so there are no biase voters. I dont believe the Baseball Writers Association, however, should be taken out of the voting picture all together. I believe 50% of the vote should be the Baseball Writers, and a split 25%-25% should be the HOFers, and "Past Players Committee". This would insure players that deserve to be in the HOF would not be ignored because of Writers with "chips" on their shoulder.

Banned

Just an opinion,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    I bet the sports writers are more in touch with what is really happening than any of us.