Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vintage Wire Photos

I was recently on Ebay and found some vintage MLB wire photos that I purchased. I have never really been into collecting them, but after receiving them I think I might start. Does anyone else on the board collect wire photos? If so is there a reputable place where people buy and sell these?

Re: Vintage Wire Photos

I buy the odd one on eBay every so often. Some are decent quality photos, but some of the newer offerings (AP wire 80s) are pretty weak, only printed on thin paper. I usually ask before I bid.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolfe12345 View Post
    I was recently on Ebay and found some vintage MLB wire photos that I purchased. I have never really been into collecting them, but after receiving them I think I might start. Does anyone else on the board collect wire photos? If so is there a reputable place where people buy and sell these?
    Take a look at the Net54 Baseball Forum. Those guys know everything about wire photos.

http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I enjoy collecting wire/laser photos because they generally are pictures that haven't been massed duplicated elsewhere.....I just had Bill Ripken sign one from the actual day my oldest son was born...

I have over 250 of Cal Jr. and here are just two unique shots from when he was beaned in the head (pre-streak) in May of '82...

Those are really neat! I need to buy ones from players that are still alive so I can get them signed. I got a few from older players and this one that I can get signed by Don Newcombe that I thought was cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

they are great to have signed IMO

They are more personalbe than cards. They seem like a great conversation started when meeting a player.

Banned

The biggest collector of wire photos passed last year.

George Michael from the original SportsCenter which we all knew as George Michael's Sports Machine collected wire photos of ballplayers sliding into bases.

He bought every one I ever listed on eBay and I assume he bought everyone else's also. I spoke to him on the phone once and he was really an interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    The biggest collector of wire photos passed last year.

George Michael from the original SportsCenter which we all knew as George Michael's Sports Machine collected wire photos of ballplayers sliding into bases.

He bought every one I ever listed on eBay and I assume he bought everyone else's also. I spoke to him on the phone once and he was really an interesting person.
    Joel:

Great post....If I'm not mistaken, Michael specialized in wirephoto shots with players sliding into home specificially...

He also specialized in identifying players in older wire photos as well as trying to determine that the actual date of the game as well......

May still be on the 'net but at a SABR convention a few years ago they taped a presentation of him showing his research and it was fascinating.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Joel:

Great post....If I'm not mistaken, Michael specialized in wirephoto shots with players sliding into home specificially...

He also specialized in identifying players in older wire photos as well as trying to determine that the actual date of the game as well......

May still be on the 'net but at a SABR convention a few years ago they taped a presentation of him showing his research and it was fascinating.
    That video would be fun to find.

I remember selling him photos of players sliding into all bases, but I wonder if he specialized in home plate. He was a legend these kids will never appreciate.

Sunday nights, you had to stay up after the local news to watch his show. It was really the early ground work for SportsCenter.