Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever loaned a piece of your collection to a MLB ball park museum?

I have been contacted by the Royals regarding a bat I own.They would like to display it for aa showcase they will be doing in a few months.My question is do you get compensated any way like possibly some free tickets?I really want to work at the stadium and figured this may be a good way to get my foot in the door.Anybody ever done this before what were your experiences if so?

Re: Ever loaned a piece of your collection to a MLB ball park museum?

I haven't loaned any material to a ballpark per se, but I currently have items on loan, displayed at the Sports Legends Museum next to Camden Yards and in the past have loaned items to the Babe Ruth Museum and the Ripken Museum (when it was operational). Overall, the experiences have been positive (good way to share your collection with more people safely).

I'm curious to know what the item is...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    I'm curious to know what the item is...
    It is my Bo bat I didnt mention it because I just started collecting and that is honestly my only semi rare piece and I didn't want to keep mentioning it over and over and possibly annoying people.The stadium is doing a Bo Jackson career showcase and that is what they would like to use it for

I've loaned items to the Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum and to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Always a great experience, never a dime in compensation. The reward is knowing you helped (and being able to brag to your buddies, "Hey, that's my jersey/bat"). I also value the contacts I've made because they've been very helpful sharing information that helps me as a collector. My advice would be to not ask for any favors; if they want to offer you something, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I've loaned items to the Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum and to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Always a great experience, never a dime in compensation. The reward is knowing you helped (and being able to brag to your buddies, "Hey, that's my jersey/bat"). I also value the contacts I've made because they've been very helpful sharing information that helps me as a collector. My advice would be to not ask for any favors; if they want to offer you something, they will.
    That sounds awesome ,I kind of figured that they don't offer any monetary compensation I just thought they may throw you a few free tickets or something.I will not ask for anything and see what happens it is a cool opportunity ether way.As I stated earlier I realy want to work at the stadium selling tickets or something along those lines possibly I can use this to network a little bit!

The hall of fame returns stuff? I was always under the impression that they don't borrow items for displays. You either donate them for good or they don't want anything....

I've never loaned a piece to a MLB baseball club but I have coordinated a sports exhibit through our local museum and I display a number of my jerseys and bats. It's nice to share your collection with others. You will probably have thousand of people looking at your item after it's all said and done so that in itself should be a good feeling.

I am going to be working to hopefully display my football jersey collection on the campus I work at when the new student-athlete center and refurbished football stadium re-opens in 2012.

I also agree with Birdbats, don't ask for any favors. Through your generosity of helping out things may end up working out in your favor anyway. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sellingmygamers View Post
    The hall of fame returns stuff? I was always under the impression that they don't borrow items for displays. You either donate them for good or they don't want anything....
    This is a DIRECT CUT and PASTE from an eMail I received from the HOF when I rose a question about a Chest Protector that was for sale that the seller claimed had been in the HOF for some years:

Dear Mr. Smith:

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum concerning a Bill Dickey chest protector. The permanent collection does not contain this item, but it could have been in the museum on loan at some point in time. Donated items are never traded, sold, or returned to donors but the museum has taken in a number of loans over the years. Loans are always returned to lenders unless they become donations.

Feel free to e-mail if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,
    Susan MacKay
    Director of Collections

Susan L. MacKay
    Director of Collections
    National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum
    25 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
    smackay@baseballhalloffame.org
    Ph: 607.547.0213
    Fax: 607.547.2044
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org

Quote Originally Posted by sellingmygamers View Post

They often borrow items for induction displays if they do not have sufficient items in their own collection. I believe that they first ask the players themselves to borrow items, and will then accept items from collectors if they still need some.