I know a few of you collect hockey gamers and if you do, the odds are you may have come across a squabble on another game worn jersey site regarding the immediate flipping of a jersey for very large profit. I'll start by giving you some details:

MeiGray does something I think unique to the hobby. They allow collectors to send in wish lists for jerseys you would be interested in obtaining. They have this list and allow people to submit their wants WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT A DEPOSIT. Now I don't want to go off topic too far here but you really have to admire the fact MeiGray offers this service. MeiGray will contact you, in the order a want has been received when said jersey arrives. Don't like the price, lost interest, can't afford it now? Simply pass and they move on to the next collector on the list.
So when the NJ Devils announced they would wear their initial NJ colored sweaters (Green rather than black stripes is the main difference really.) Devil collectors I am sure bombarded Barry and Co. with wants for specific players.

So now you know the back story even though it is not essential to the debate at hand. I thought it brought up a great topic for discussion (and admittedly some debate if we are open to listening) so here is the story:

The Devils wore one set of throwback jerseys in 2 games last season. MeiGray had a deal with them to obtain said shirts and market them to the collecting public. It is announced that the set is now available and that they will be contacting previously requested wish lists with first dibs. This is done, jerseys are sold, end of MeiGray participation.

Much like any other team, the NJ Devils have a lot of fans. Let's remember that the word "fan" is short for "fanatic" I honestly believe that while we are fanatical about our teams, the word was shortened because it comes off as a little insane, creepy and scary to say "I have fanatical emotions about this team!!!!" Due to the large pool of Devil fans and the very short number of actual jerseys worn, many people were not able to obtain the jersey they wanted at what I am told were extremely fair prices. Annnnd that's where the drama begins......

Almost 24 hours to the second after they were sold out, one of them was put up for sale at a price that was much higher than the published initial sale price. (There are small details I am omitting like the fact a photomatched stick from the same player and same game was also included and while it seems important, it really isn't relevant to the issue at hand. The player is not top tier and therefore while the stick would be great for a player collector, many jersey collectors have no interest in sticks and vice versa.)

If you are still reading and wondering what the point is, here ya go. I have a lot of opinions to share but I would rather hear yours first. I am going to ask that you NOT hold back your opinions because I think this is one of those major questions in our hobby that is never really answered successfully.

When is flipping a jersey considered unethical? Did the collector really do anything wrong? Do other collectors have any right to be upset?