Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • platinum1
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Re: What type of pen for Game Used Jersey?

Originally posted by neverfinished94
    I have used Sharpie paint pens in the past and they have sucked every time. I have a Nolan Ryan sig that I will have to replace because I used a Sharpie paint pen. You couldnt pay me to use one again.
    Really? I used one the other day and it came out fine.
    I used to only use deco too but Michaels didn't have any so I had to go with the Sharpie Paint pen.

Im going to order some Deco online now.
    Thanks

Comment

• dplettn
      • Dec 2010

The below are photos of a Deco Fabric Paint Pen I found at the local "Michaels". It looks a bit different from some others I've seen here. Is anybody aware of pros/cons with this? I'd like to make sure I don't make any bad assumptions before sharing the collective wisdom of our forum with other local collectors. This particular one is black, but they also had several other colors with the same packaging and similar barcode.
      Attached Files

Comment

• alexbartacustoms
        • Oct 2005

Hi everyone-

I hope I can help with this discussion.
        I actually own a small office supply story, and I use and highly recommend the Painters brand pens made by Elmers.

The NFL Auctions site uses these silver paint pens on most of their signed footballs.

They work great on every ball, helmet, cleat, bat and jersey I have used them on. I prefer the silver, it has a metallic flake that looks really sharp.

The one thing to look for is that you are buying a "paint pen" and not a marker. Markers use ink that absorbs into material and can bleed on fabric, where a paint pen tends not to bleed.

The only drawback on paint pens is that they do need more time to dry.
        Be careful not to smudge the signature until it is fully dried.

Good Luck,
        Alex

Comment

• Shipp_96
          • Feb 2011

I have used the same Pen Touch paint pens I bought a decade ago. They are still good to go, just take a little shaking! I have a silver one shown below. This retail Penn State jersey I got signed by Deon Butler is as an example of how nice it can look on a white number (that was with the gold paint). I got that signed 3 years ago.
          Attached Files

Comment

• dylanharr
            • May 2010

Here are some signed jersey's I have:

Signed in black sharpie

Signed in silver deco paint pen

Comment

• beaglegypsy003
              • Mar 2010

I like to stick with black or silver depending on the background color. If jerseys are anything like cards l wouldn't use blue. On cards and helmets I've seen that are exposed to light, when blue starts to fade it ends up turning grey. Again, I don't know if this would be the same on jerseys.

Comment

• emst51
                • Jan 2013

So ive never used a paint pen but I know with the Sharpies I use on my 8x10s I buy them new ones every season or a buy a new one before games I figure theyre cheap why risk it. With the paint pens being more expensive how long do you guys use them for?

Comment

• Klattsy
                  • Aug 2010

I bought one last season and used it literally once + testing. I tried it again this season and had issues with it. I wish I had bought another one as I need to get stuff signed this weekend. I had to resort to a new metallic silver sharpie instead (lots easier to get)

Comment

• emst51
                    • Jan 2013

So since im new to getting 8x10s signed what do you guys perfer sharpies or paint pens. When it comes to balls I really like using the Bic Roundsticks they have never let me down. I know alot of people use blue sharpies whats your guys preference?

Comment

Working...