Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

who are your "contacts"

I've always found it interesting how people acquire their "contacts" to obtain things. Here's my story. I have a neighbor who is related to an ex Cardinal player from the early 80's. I played college ball with a guy who got called up in Sept 98 with JD Drew when the homerun chase was in full swing. I played high school ball with the Asst. Athletic Trainer of the Twins. And, maybe my best, Cliff Lee's agent.....I used to date his little sister (20 yrs. ago). However, I have never tried to use any of my contacts to obtain anything....yet. So tell us your stories.

Banned

Angry Re: who are your "contacts"

I have a number of contacts around MLB (players and coaches) that have helped me out in the past. That said, I will divulge no identities...decades ago, I made the mistake of letting a female ballpark rat know who I was getting cracked bats from. I was hospitalized for several weeks early one season, and, when I got back to the park, she had used a front-office friend to help take over my source and get what were my items for herself. Then, on top of that, she wanted to use me to set the values and tell her what they were worth....for items that she had stolen my source from me! I finally told her I was going to charge her for authentications and appraisals...haven't heard from her since, over 20 years of silence. Of course, she gave up the access she had wormed her way into when she couldn't lean on me for free advice any more...served the b***h right.

Dave Miedema

Re: who are your "contacts"

No one in their right mind is going to tell you anything, less maybe some very vague generalizations like "team source." You seemed to mention people you just happen to have some link to that have something to do with baseball.... but having not asked them to aid in your collection doesn't equal a true "source" in my mind. Generally speaking, I think it's always beneficial to let people know how you are, what you collect, and what's important to you. Laying a solid foundation of trust is key to people ever doing anything they don't have to in your benefit. After a billion posts on here, emails, phone calls, hours and hours of research, I'm just now getting to the point where someone will find me every now and again because they have some idea what's important to me. Never fear showing your true passion towards sports and collecting and all the rest.... you never know exactly how someone else may be willing to help you out!

eBay.com
    Gameusedunivese.com/vb_forum
    hofbats.com
    gameusedbats.com
    auctions.mlb.com

sadly, I have zero "contacts" that are actually in the game. I know a guy that is friends with a guy in the Red Sox clubhouse, but that has yielded me absolutely zero.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    how you are
    * WHO you are

Meaning, no harm in emailing so and so and simply saying, "My name is 'x' and I also like to collect player 'y' - always feel free to send me pictures of your collection or ask questions."

Thumbs up Re: who are your "contacts"

Wow. Posts like some of these are the reason why the hobby has become a lot less enjoyable. I have never hidden a source from anyone; I don't believe we are entitled to things just by virtue of having an inside name. We should share our knowledge, because nobody really needs ten game-used jerseys or fifty bats of a single player.

Sadly, the hobby has become overtaken by certain greedy dealers who never learned how to share. What ends up happening is the average collector doesn't have access to things at fair prices because somebody has a special source that's all theirs and makes it miserable for those not in the know.

What's wrong with sharing? Are certain dealers/collectors so insecure that they have to have every item of a single player?

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Sorry, just jumped back on. I wasn't meaning for anybody to "give up their sources" or name names by any means. Just wanted to start a friendly discussion. The reason I have not "used" my sources is I just got back into the hobby and feel odd about how to ask.

Has anyone just contacted someone by e-mail through a team website?

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Wow. Posts like some of these are the reason why the hobby has become a lot less enjoyable. I have never hidden a source from anyone; I don't believe we are entitled to things just by virtue of having an inside name. We should share our knowledge, because nobody really needs ten game-used jerseys or fifty bats of a single player.

Sadly, the hobby has become overtaken by certain greedy dealers who never learned how to share. What ends up happening is the average collector doesn't have access to things at fair prices because somebody has a special source that's all theirs and makes it miserable for those not in the know.

What's wrong with sharing? Are certain dealers/collectors so insecure that they have to have every item of a single player?

-Frik
    I must not read what was said the same way. Dave said he was turned against once upon a time and learned a lesson. I suggested that probably not many people are going to be too quick to share private information... followed by some ways to make yourself more recognizable by other collectors. Anyone who knows me and is curious about things I have or know about has taken the time to call or email. That's totally different than divulging information in a format as public as this.

If you knew the best way to get a great table at your favorite restaurant, would you post that info for the world to see and jeopardize never having that luxury again? I would say, "You don't have to eat there, you know" and you would say, "But it's my favorite place, I really really like it and wish to continue to get my favorite table." I was frankly quite frightened when going through my most recent transaction because of all of the other collectors out there, many without any regard for my best interests, many more or less after the same thing I'm trying to add to my collection. If we were to all share everything we know, it'd be another three years before I sniffed another opportunity like the one I just had. I don't think that's too hard for even the nicest and most generous of us to grasp!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I have a number of contacts around MLB (players and coaches) that have helped me out in the past. That said, I will divulge no identities...decades ago, I made the mistake of letting a female ballpark rat know who I was getting cracked bats from. I was hospitalized for several weeks early one season, and, when I got back to the park, she had used a front-office friend to help take over my source and get what were my items for herself. Then, on top of that, she wanted to use me to set the values and tell her what they were worth....for items that she had stolen my source from me! I finally told her I was going to charge her for authentications and appraisals...haven't heard from her since, over 20 years of silence. Of course, she gave up the access she had wormed her way into when she couldn't lean on me for free advice any more...served the b***h right.

Dave Miedema
    Dave, nice story! Sorry it turned out the way it did. I can't believe she would come to you for advice after the fact!

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    Sorry, just jumped back on. I wasn't meaning for anybody to "give up their sources" or name names by any means. Just wanted to start a friendly discussion. The reason I have not "used" my sources is I just got back into the hobby and feel odd about how to ask.

Has anyone just contacted someone by e-mail through a team website?
    Sure, I do it all the time. The only problem with MLB and email is all teams have a different format and it's sometimes hard to figure out what it is. For example, the Rangers is first initial, last name, followed by texasrangers.com and the Nationals is first name dot last name followed by just nationals.com

Email me michael_benko@yahoo.com if you ever need help figuring one out!