Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1988 Wilson Red Sox Home Jersey - Help/Opinions Please

Hi, anyone able to give me any info on authenticity of this item.

Did Clemens wear a sz. 44 in 1988 ? everything on the jersey looks good, but i would just like some opinions and help on what to look for on the jersey. Doesn't look to be altered or fake in anyway from what I can tell. Is that how the stitching inside the jersey would have been done by the team or manufacture ?

Whatever opinions or help you guys could throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

**ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1988 Wilson Red Sox Home Jersey - Help/Opinions Please

In the old sizing of the 1980s, Clemens might have fit into a 44, though certainly not incurrent or recent sizing. Wilson tag is OK, and the box tag with the year features the pre-88 type of embroidery, though 1988 was a transition year on this for Wilson...this embroidery font style only appears on a small number of 1988 Wilson jerseys. Wilson made all Red Sox home jerseys during Clemens' career up to and including 1991.

I wouldn't want to say 100% for sure without seeing it in hand, but it looks like it probably has some promise.

Dave Miedema

Re: 1988 Wilson Red Sox Home Jersey - Help/Opinions Please

I definitely before its a gamer or at least game issued, but i doubt in the late 80s they would make jerseys without the intent of wearing them ?

dave, i know you know your stuff. how does the stitching on the inside of of the jersey for the numbers look ? would it have been done that way ?
    **ALWAYS looking for game used/issued Nike/Air Jordan sneakers**

Banned

Exclamation Re: 1988 Wilson Red Sox Home Jersey - Help/Opinions Please

Quote Originally Posted by cammy collector View Post
    I definitely before its a gamer or at least game issued, but i doubt in the late 80s they would make jerseys without the intent of wearing them ?

dave, i know you know your stuff. how does the stitching on the inside of of the jersey for the numbers look ? would it have been done that way ?
    Probably OK, though the distance in the photo makes it hard for me to properly discern.

Dave M.

Re: 1988 Wilson Red Sox Home Jersey - Help/Opinions Please

Jersey looks good, but like Dave said.... without looking at it in hand, its hard to confirm. Although I can't compare on the tagging, since my 1982 Wilson has different style tag, the other elements look consistent (e.g. button count, letter spacing/style, and stitching pattern). My jersey had a number change from 42 to 49 at some point. Probably worn by Chuck Rainy in '82 then perhaps Al Nipper in '83 (#49). Many of the Sox jerseys went to the farm during the 1980s.
    Attached Images Attached Images